Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Job Identification: 1402
Team / Programme: Program Development and Quality
Contract Length: Fixed term
- The role necessitates close collaboration with various approaches within the BA-N project, as well as efficient coordination with USAID implementing partners, government partners, and community stakeholders within the state.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Support Nutrition/SBC implementation at State/LGA Level
- Provide technical assistance to CVs and LGAS and WDCs on health and nutrition, with focus on the implementation of effective methodologies/activities to improve nutrition knowledge, attitudes, and practices of mothers/caregivers and communities.
- Provide technical support and guidance to Women Empowerment Groups and other community groups on the implementation and reporting of nutrition activities including food demonstrations, nutrition messaging, nutrition card games, etc. during their meetings and other secondary community activities on nutrition developed.
- In collaboration with State Nutrition Officer and LGA PHC teams and other partners, keep track and monthly update of Health Facilities with RUTF and share the updated list with CVs and LGAS for referrals.
- Provide technical support and guidance to CVs and LGAS on MUAC screening and referral, referral- follow-up for children U5.
- In collaboration with LGA teams, support sensitization activities for targeted communities to identify and address barriers to recommended nutrition practices with a focus on traditional/religious leaders and other key stakeholders.
- Conduct regular technical monitoring of nutrition activities and document findings to inform improvements in programme implementation.
- Ensure regular communication and sharing of lessons learned and challenges with the programme team and partners to inform implementation.
- Participate in meetings, training, and other assessments/events as required.
- Plan logistics and materials needs for the activities to be carried out.
- Attend annual refresher training on Safeguarding and commit to setting at least one Safeguarding goal each year.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent (a Master’s Degree would be an added advantage) in Public Health, Nutrition, Nursing, Social Science, or a related field, with a minimum of three years of extensive experience in integrated programming as well as community mobilization in the areas of MNCH+N
Experience and Skills
- Computer skills: Proficient in the use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Workspace tools.
- Exceptional report writing and data analysis skills.
- Familiarity and experience with participatory approaches and tools for training and implementing nutrition programs at the community level.
- Dedication to working with marginalized and disadvantaged groups, including in remote areas.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including the ability to think creatively and innovate to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress.
- Ability to integrate, leverage and build support from staff across teams and to build the capacity of others.
- Commitment to teamwork and understanding of how to contribute to a team setting.
- Ability to work effectively in partnership/collaboration with government and other partner organizations.
- Effective Communication skills and fluency in both spoken and written English and the local language (Hausa is desirable for this role).
- Independence, adaptability, and flexibility.
- Understanding of the community health system and working with government and community stakeholders
- Proven experience and skills for facilitation and delivering training and capacity building in behaviour change communication for MNCH and health governance.
- Teachability, and ability to establish relationships with a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to think critically and be proactive.
- High level of Independence, flexibility, and adaptability
- Demonstration of creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Strong sense of urgency and work ethic
- Willingness to work under ambiguous circumstances and challenging situations.
- Additionally, experience and expertise in nutrition-specific/sensitive programming, community mobilization, and familiarity with quantitative and qualitative research methods would be an added advantage.
Behaviours (Values in Practice):
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future-orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners, and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
20th May, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online