Solidarites International is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 40 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs – water, food and shelter. SI is present in North-East Nigeria since 2016 and is currently operating in 4 bases across Borno State (Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, and Dikwa) with outreach capacities across all BAY States through its emergency component. Currently, SI carries out emergency/post – emergency programs in WASH/FSL sector in North-West Nigeria where limited actors are currently present.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Locations: Gusau & Anka – Zamfara
Employment Type: Full-time
Contract Start date: Projected contract duration is 6 Months – with possible extension.
Mission / Objectives
- Through its SI 2023-2025 strategy, SI Nigeria plans to grow and deepen the programming portfolio of its Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) activities. The Nutrition Officer shall play a vital role towards this objective.
- The Nutrition Officer is also expected to devise innovative solutions to address the complex food security and nutrition challenges in Zamfara, where the ‘’no IDP camp policy’’ has consigned over 200,000 IDPs in informal settlements, collapsing buildings and congested host dwellings, exposing children and women to dire protection conditions.
- The food and nutrition need for NW remain dire, with the area classified under IPC 3 and IPC4 and trends continuing to worsen.
- The Nutrition Officers (2) shall be based in Gusau and Anka (one in each location) with frequent visits to other field locations, such as Talata Mafara, reporting to the Nutrition/Hygiene Promotion Team Leader based in Gusau.
- They will work in harmony with the other officers (Hygiene Promotion Officers, FSL Officers, and Agronomist officers).
- The core roles of this position include implementation, monitoring and evaluation of nutrition programs and activities aimed at preventing malnutrition among vulnerable populations.
- Nutrition is a key component of this function; hence, the Nutrition Officer shall be expected to demonstrate experience and skills in Nutrition.
Assessment and Screening:
- Under the responsibility of the Nutrition / HP team leader, take part in planning, beneficiary targeting and logistical and administrative organization, and execution of Nutrition activities.
- Conduct regular screenings using MUAC, weight, and height measurement tools to identify malnutrition cases.
- Assess the nutritional status of targeted individuals and communities.
- Identify and refer severely malnourished cases to health facilities for treatment.
Project Activity Implementation:
- Plan activities (quarterly, monthly, weekly) and identify the appropriate means and resources to ensure a smooth implementation, in collaboration with the support Departments (administrative, logistics) and the local partner.
- Adhere to relevant quality criteria and monitoring indicators for project activities, and ensure the regular tracking of these indicators, applying SI standard tools for project progress follow-up;
- Be the operational focal person for the local partner with regard to Nutrition activities
- Coordinate with relevant health/nutrition partners in collecting data for SAM beneficiaries.
- Ensure proper follow-up of the beneficiaries and provision of adequate technical support during activity implementation.
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly activity plans to the Nutrition / HP Team Leader as required
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of nutrition activities on targeted individuals and communities.
- Participate in periodic FSL assessments including needs assessments, market assessments, activity feasibility assessments and any other Food Security and livelihood-related assessments.
- Support MEAL team in activities monitoring (market assessments, baseline, endline, post distribution monitoring, price monitoring, focused group discussions, vendor monitoring etc)
- Support complaint response mechanism by receiving, recording, and reporting complaints from beneficiaries, community leaders, community volunteers and other stakeholders.
- Organize regular evaluation meetings with team members and local partners.
- Archive lists of beneficiaries. Keep monitoring tools and files archived at the Solidarités International office, ensuring their availability to his/her team leader.
Mobilization, Sensitization and capacity building:
- Mobilize and sensitize key stakeholders, communities and participating households on the project objectives, timelines and other general project details.
- Ensure the training of the daily workers and CHPs.
- Collect feedback and propose an improvement of the messages of good practices shared with the beneficiaries.
- Participate in identifying the training needs among the population and propose appropriate content and training support material for the training sessions and awareness messages to be disseminated.
- Provide individual counselling to beneficiaries and caregivers on proper feeding practices, hygiene, and disease prevention.
- Provide technical support and training to staff and partners on nutrition-related topics.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to staff and partners to enhance their knowledge and skills in nutrition.
Reporting / communication / representation:
- Under the supervision of the Nutrition / HP Team Leader, participate in the drafting of nutrition-related reports:
- Pass on any information regarding the nutrition-related activities.
- Extract and pass on nutrition statistics to the team leader or and/or program manager.
- Take part in seminars and training workshops relating to nutrition tasks and goal attainment.
- Report to the team leader on the progress of activities and specific tasks assigned, problems encountered and the quality of relations with beneficiaries.
- Pass on any information or problems concerning his/her task, Solidarités International programs, or safety aspects.
- Act as a liaison with the local population and authorities in order to identify the needs, grievances and major events that could have potential consequences for Solidarités International activity.
- Analyze the humanitarian situation, taking protection problems into consideration / Do no Harm to the population.
- Collaborate with local administration and authorities.
- Take part in restitution meetings and clusters on request.
- Qualification: B.Sc. / HND in Nutrition, Dietetics, Food Science, Public Health, Nursing, or related field is required.
- Professional Experience: 2 years practical experience in a similar position with other INGO or 3-4 years’ experience in National NGO in the same position or as a Team leader. Knowledge of Climate Smart Agriculture and knowledge of protection and inclusion is a plus.
- Languages: English, Hausa, and other Local Languages
- IT: Good Knowledge of MS Office Word, PowerPoint, and advanced MS Office Excel knowledge.
- Quick learner, ability to work autonomously, excellent organizational skills, flexibility to meet deadlines, hard worker.
- Qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply.
What we offer
Salary + Accomodation & housing allowance + social benefits (medical coverage, 24 days of Annual leaves per year, compassionate leaves, public holidays as announced by government, festive bonus, Life insurance – covering death and permanent disability) etc.
Application Closing Date
12th May, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Select Nutrition Officer, fill the form and attach their CV and Motivation Letter.
- The CV attached must be Names, with their First Name and Surname.