Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment
Contract Duration: 6 months
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with the WHO CO technical officers within specific technical programme areas: health system, public health, environmental health etc., in consultation with the HQ and RO focal points and coordination within the Health Cluster with the international partners.
The incumbent will provide technical guidance to the MOH by providing technical expertise and when required, onsite support to ensure applicability and appropriate implementation of the recommended guidance on public health and health care facilities. S/he will also be responsible for reporting, performance assessment and evaluation of the planned activities, ensuring proper communication with MoH, national counterparts and partners and as appropriate.
- Provide technical support and work closely with the MoH, WHO CC and other relevant institutions to coordinate and implement the WHO’s actions to increase designated region(s) health sector in preparedness and response capacity for chemical and radiological events.
- Support regional and contribute to the country actions related to all-hazards preparedness, readiness and response through needs assessment, technical support and project proposal development.
- Engage in assessments with designated region(s) health sector authorities for support in preparedness for chemical and radiation emergencies.
- Advise on supplies and needs for chemical and radiological response, and on their appropriate distribution. Identify needs for local and international procurement.
- Support the development and co-facilitate trainings on all-hazards emergency preparedness and response with focus on chemical and radiological technological hazards planning in health facilities and priority oblasts (with NPP) levels.
- Be the WHO focal point for staff protection matters related to chemical and radiological events in designated region(s) in conjunction with Staff Health and Well-being officer, for awareness trainings for WHO, UN agencies and NGOs.
- Maintain regular correspondence with national counterparts and the partners with regards to the health system strengthening and developing.
- Perform any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
Essential: First University degree in public health or medicine or related field.
Desirable: Specialization or training in the delivery of emergency health response / disaster management in public health.
Essential: At least 2 years of relevant experience, at the national level, in emergency management in the field of public health and or experience in health operations, with proven experience in managing chemical events and health emergencies. Related experience in managing human and financial resources.
Desirable: Experience in WHO, the UN System and/or NGOs in the area of health operation, outbreak response and planning of emergency interventions in the context of public health and/or humanitarian actions.
Excellent knowledge of public health emergency preparedness and response, including chemical and radiological technological hazards ones.
Demonstrated ability to provide sound methodological, technical advice and guidance in chemical and radiological technological hazards.
Excellent analytical, planning and organizational skills.
Ability to work in complex national or international settings in support of international emergency health interventions to often insecure and geographically hostile environments.
Demonstrated ability to work in multicultural and multidisciplinary settings and excellent inter-personal skills.
Ability to monitor and communicate progress in terms of process and results.
Excellent communication, facilitation and report-writing skills.
Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications. Knowledge of ERP/Oracle applications ia an asset.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Ensuring the effective use of resources
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Ukrainian Language.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 37,537 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.