Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present cooperating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Coordinator Support
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
- We are looking to fill the Medical Coordinator Support position in our Coordination office in Abuja, Nigeria.
The Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Supporting the Medical Coordinator through delegated tasks and responsibilities including administrative tasks related to the coordination of work, ensuring good relationships with local and national authorities and ensuring adequate program management in the projects, according to MSF protocols, (para)medical standards, rules of hygiene and the standard precautions in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health conditions of the targeted population.
- Monitoring, supervising and evaluating the implementation of medical activities in the project, visiting projects according to preset schedule and participating in defining the human resources needs, materials and techniques. Assisting in the implementation of MSF protocols, (para) medical standards, the rules of hygiene and universal precautions in service.
- Assisting in the collection of information on national health policy (meetings, reports, articles, etc.), collecting and participating in the analysis of epidemiological data (meetings, reports, articles, etc.) from the projects
- Ensuring medical follow up of patients (treatment, improvement) in collaboration with the medical referent of the health structure and overseeing all medical expenses associated with the patient, in collaboration with the supervisors. Organize the administrative and medical information (reports, ongoing treatments), the discharge of patients and return to their homes
- Supporting and supervising the project teams and participating in the management of the medical team in the capital (recruitment, training, monitoring their work, vacation planning, assessments, etc.). Participating in briefings and debriefings of the (para) medical team members and promoting communication and active participation in the development of the project
- Applying the employee health policy and participating in the evaluation of hospital structures that can serve as reference structures for national and international staff. Participating in the medical monitoring of MSF personnel and overseeing all medical expenses associated with various consultations and hospitalizations in collaboration with the line manager
- Participating in the management of the central pharmacy, advising and guiding the logistics team in the mission of drug stock management. Organizing the start-up, inventory and management of operational medical library according to the classification plan
- Participating in the data collection and management from the projects as well as preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports and organizing · data archiving and medical reports in the project.
- Performing other duties at the request of Medco (exceptional strengthening of a field team, involvement in evaluations, etc.)
MSF Section / Context-Specific Accountabilities
- Support the Medical coordinator in organizing and participating in various meetings/contact with relevant stakeholders.
- Responsible for the implementation of National Staff health policy in collaboration with HR department as well as providing medical inputs at the time of recruitment. Education of the staff on preventative measures and ensuring that they are following these recommendations in the mission.
- Act as a mission focal point in terms of national staff health issues.
- Assist medical coordinator for the administration of expat health policy.
- Monitor the key health concerns in the mission and ensure regular information sharing and exchange with national staff colleagues in the mission.
- Compile medical reports across the mission including providing feedback to the staff in the field. Validate data from reports and address with the respective field in collaboration with the mission DHIS focal person.
- Remain updated on the DHIS for better understanding with an objective of becoming the mission DHIS focal person in the future.
- Gather relevant medical contextual information and share it with the medical coordinator.
- Contribute in epidemiological surveillance & scanning, detect rumors, and participate in emergency assessments or response when required in the field.
- Gap fill a relevant position in the field in the case of needs after discussions and agreement with MedCo.
- Replace MTLs in the field in the case of gaps/holidays in agreement with MedCo
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- MBBS Degree or equivalent Degree
- Training or experience in tropical medicine and/or public health
- Experience working in a developing country
- Emergency expérience
- Experience working with MOH system (NCDC, etc.)
- Minimum 2 years experience within an INGO setting
- Mission working language Essential; Local language desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, and use of Internet) DHIS application.
- People management, Commitment to MSF principles, Behavioural flexibility, Results & Quality orientation, Teamwork & cooperation.
Application Closing Date
22nd September, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Send their CV, Cover letter, and necessary credentials only to: [email protected] using “MEDCO SUPPORT” as the subject of the mail.
- The deadline for the position is 22nd September 2023 (5:00 PM)
- Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.
- No Transportation or any other Allowance will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization