Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, not-for-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in distress, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. MSF has been active in Katsina since February 2021 after carrying an exploratory mission that end up with an opening of the project under the Emergency-Cell.
Currently, MSF is running an ITFC (Inpatient Therapeutic Feeding Centre) in Katsina in the Kofar Sauri PHCC and Turai Yar’Adua Hospital and 8 ATFC (Ambulatory Therapeutic Feeding Centre) including four in Jibia LGA (Magama, Daddara, Gubi Magaria, Riko, Mashi, Majigiri and Sonkaya) and one in Katsina City (Kofar Marusa).
The French Section of Médecins Sans Frontières is currently recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
Start Date: For the Peak Pool
Contract: 208 working hours per month and flexibility is required
- Provide care to ITFC including ER/ICU/IPD patient and/or ATFC medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values, and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiary’s health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/ITFC patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection, and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patient’s illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment, or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are always followed and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures Professional confidentialité is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing, and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- Providing quality medical care to patients according to MSF guidelines and protocols, applying the protocols and guidelines in examination of patients, diagnosis, paraclinical examination, prescription of medications and follow-up of patients both in emergency department and inpatient (ICU, phase1, transitional phase and phase2)
- Applying IPC protocols in all procedures in patient management in the Hospital
- Active participation in the management of emergency cases in the ER and wards and discussion of difficult cases with the MD team when necessary.
- At least 90% of compliance of drug matches with the established diagnosis.
- Rationalize prescription of antibiotics to avoid and reducing the chances of unnecessary side effects and antibiotic resistance
- Ensure the quality of care delivered to our patients improves with time in the service he/she is working in
- Ensure that the nutrition protocols are followed in all the services and implement and follow-up the nutrition program.
- Participate in regular quality of care meetings for such improvement (e.g. MMR presentation every month)
- Participate in the training of MDs on health-related issues.
- Performing any other task, specific to his/her area of specialty, as defined in his/her job description and according to the line manager.
- Medical Doctor Diploma Desirable Diploma in Tropical Medicine
- 2-year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training).
- Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health, obs and gynae, pediatrics, A, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel and Internet)
- People Management, Commitment, Flexibility, Results, Teamwork
- Essential, local language commandment desirable, mission working language (English).
According to MSF France salary grid
Application Closing Date
5th May, 2023; 3:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidates should submit their CV with Cover Letter and all Certificates / Credentials on or before the closing date
- Only successful applicants will be called for next steps.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the MSF recruitment process.
- MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring a candidate having benefitted from any such acts. All illicit demands may be pursued through the judicial system.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages any Nigerian citizen to apply irrespective of race, gender, religion, creed, political affiliation