Position Title: Senior Migration Health Nurse
Duty Station: IOM Philippines Country Office (Manila)
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G-7
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 02 June 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO), the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Manila, Philippines.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead daily nursing and administrative activities of the migration health assessment in the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of Medical examinations;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals.
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements.
- Documentation, certification and information transmission.
- Directly observed treatment/therapy short course (DOTs);
- Fitness-to-travel checks; and,
- Other technical areas may be required.
- Supervise all daily nursing and administrative activities, namely:
- Assign tasks to nurses and clerks.
- Monitor pre-examination information sessions, counselling, history, follow up and vital signs taking; verify that nurses and medical clerks enter information into relevant databases in a timely and accurate manner, in accordance to their specific functions; and,
- Facilitate and monitor implementation of fraud-prevention measures, including testing performed outside of the MHAC.
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of an optimal workflow at the health assessment site by suggesting and implementing improvements to facilitate timeliness of completion of nursing and clerical tasks.
- Verify that all migrant/refugee identity check mechanisms are well established and followed.
- Implement quality assurance and quality control measures for nursing and clerical activities; participate in writing SOPs and instructions as well as staff training.
- Verify that SOP’s, checklists and standard universal precautions within MHAC are followed.
- Check that the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable are well maintained according to guidelines and SOP’s.
- Coordinate, follow up and verify procurement for MHAC – including purchase orders, payment requests and invoices.
- Gather and analyze administrative reports and program updates as necessary; report any inconsistencies or issues to the CMHO.
- Coordinate the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Coordinate, and perform if needed, the medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Gather and analyze statistical information and share with the CMHO as per pre-set and agreed upon format.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, Embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing from an accredited academic institution required.
- Master’s degree or higher from an accredited academic institution is advantageous.
- A valid license to practice nursing in the country of duty station.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
- For bachelor’s degree holder a minimum of four years of relevant clinical experience with at least two years in a supervisory role
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Knowledge of and experience in clinical nursing.
- Managerial experience is desirable.
- Knowledge of principles of preventive care and disease control.
- Knowledge of and experience in implementation of patient safety.
- Infection prevention and control.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
- Leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English (oral and written) is required. Working knowledge of Spanish or French is desirable.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via [email protected] not later than 2 June 2023. Position title and VN Number (VN 2023 016 – Sr. Migration Health Nurse) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.