Place: Bagdad or Erbil with regular visits to Bagdad
Duration of contract: 2 years renewable
Starting date: ideally 21/06/2023
Closing date for applications : 08/05/2023
Handicap International/Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial international solidarity organization, which intervenes in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflicts and disasters. Working alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, it acts and speaks out to meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. More info: www.hi.org
At Handicap International-Humanity & Inclusion, we truely believe in the importance of inclusion and diversity within our organisation. This is why we are engaged to a disability policy to encourage the inclusion and integration of people with disabilities.
Please indicate if you require any special accommodation, even at the first interview.
HI has been registered and operational in Iraq since 1991 and has become a lead implementing agency in the emergency response in the Health and Protection sectors, operating across Ninewa, Kirkuk, Salah al Din, Baghdad, Anbar and Basra Governorates. In 2014, HI scaled up its intervention in Iraq to respond to the humanitarian needs generated by the capture of territory by the IS-group, subsequent military operations and the widespread displacement of Iraqi populations. Since 2020, HI has been focusing on early recovery and nexus programming, adapting to the changing context in Iraq.
The global objective of HI programming in Iraq is to enhance social inclusion and cohesion through supporting increased participation and access to services and resources, as well as protecting and promoting the rights of persons with disabilities and conflict-affected communities; an objective achieved through an operational framework of three central pillars:
Social Inclusion: ensure equal access to essential services, protection and basic needs for all conflict-affected populations, including persons with disabilities, and support to inclusive economic practices and interventions.
Protection / Armed Violence Reduction: Reduce the impact of the Conventional Weapon (CW) and Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) for conflict-affected populations through risk education, land release, and access to victim assistance services;
Health: Improve access to specific services for the most vulnerable people whose physical and functional and/or psychological integrity is compromised, through the provision of physical rehabilitation and Mental Health & Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services and support to local stakeholders.
To date, HI employs about 150 persons in Iraq, for a yearly financial volume of nearly 4 million euros.
Reporting to the Regional Director MEREP (Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Palestine and Iraq) the CM of Iraq contributes to the implementation of the mandate of Humanity & Inclusion and the 10-year strategy within Iraq. Ensures the optimal quality and impact of projects executed in your country through a delegation system with adequate control mechanisms. With all HI directors and through paradigm shifts, he/she shares responsibility for the sound management and effective functioning of the global organization through paradigm shifts. In this framework, as Country Manager , your main duties are :
Mission 1 : Management, strategy and direction
- You contribute to the development of the operational strategy of the program, as well as its implementation and annual monitoring in the country.
- Contribute to organizational transformation, particularly through changes in management practices, continuous improvement and contribute to the improvement of work processes.
Mission 2: Standards and experience
- Ensure implementation and compliance with hi global frameworks, institutional policies and standards.
Mission 3: Operational implementation
- You ensure good management and supervision of projects under your responsibility.
- Take into account both potential opportunities and risks, contribute to the monitoring and analysis carried out by the line manager and propose mitigation measures when relevant.
- Develop the external influence of HI (forums, operational and strategic alliances, etc.) and the external representation of the organization (events, media) in the country.
- Support the Program Director in monitoring security in the country and ensure adequate resources according to the context
Mission 4: Emergency Preparedness and Response
- You lead emergency preparedness actions in your department and, in case of emergency, reorganize your team’s priorities according to humanitarian priority, in order to ensure a rapid and efficient response by HI.
- You hold a Master Degree in social sciences, public health, humanitarian action, project management, or other relevant field
- You have experience in management and leadership of multi-cultural and multi-sector teams, on-site and remotely, in program, country management, operational management (including budgeting analysis & resource planning) and experience in risk & security management
- Written and oral communication in English
- You are capable to negotiate and represent HI internally and externally, network and fundraise
- You are well organized, flexible, motivated, and able to work under pressure
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION:
Low level of insecurity in Erbil, medium to high in intervention’s areas. Position initially based in Erbil, where there is an active social life and most facilities are available. The position will require frequent travel to the areas of intervention, where HI teams are working in community resources centres, IDP camps, health facilities and the communities in areas of Iraqi Kurdistan, Kirkuk, Nineveh, Salah al Din, Anbar and Baghdad. The security context remains fluid and movement restrictions can be introduced on an ad hoc basis.
The position can also be based in Bagdad, considering the transition of the geographical footprint of the HI in Iraq.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
- 24 months International contract renewable
- Position based either in Bagdad or in Erbil with frequent visits to Bagdad
- The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
- Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
- Pension scheme
- Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
- Repatriation insurance paid by HI
- Salary from 3’000€ gross/month upon experience
- Perdiem: 627€ net/month – paid in the field
- Hardship: Erbil: 0€ Bagdad: 250€
- Paid leaves: 25 days per year;
- R&R: according to the level of the mission Level 1: 1 day per month // Level 2: 5 days every 3 months/Level 3: 5 days every 6 weeks => + possible transport/package support.
- Position: open to couples
- Support travel costs (air ticket & visa) for accompanying dependent and health/ repatriation insurance if the dependent has no income/
- payment of one yearly additional return flight
- Housing: individual taken in charge by HI
How to apply
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link:
Only successful candidates will be contacted.