Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, medical, humanitarian, and independent organisation that provides assistance to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, exclusion from health care and natural disasters. MSF provides assistance to people solely on the basis of their needs and without distinction of origin, religion, sex, gender, or political affiliation. Present in over 70 countries, MSF relies on diverse teams (with different profiles, experiences, nationalities, etc.) throughout the world, to implement its social mission.
All year long, MSF is recruiting international staff in its pools for the field. The international staff will be matched in countries according to her/his competencies and according to the needs in the field.
As an Electricity Manager working for MSF you will carry out or supervise all electrical activities in the project. In support of the medical activity, you will ensure the safety of people, the quality and safety of the electrical installations in all MSF facilities.
This is an exciting and diverse role involving some or all of the following.
- In collaboration with the Coordination team, plan, monitor and ensure the implementation of electrical activities, in order to identify and respond to the needs of the mission and the target population
- Ensure that electrical installations are up to MSF standards, and propose solutions to improve installations (e.g. prioritize personnel and equipment safety, and optimize energy consumption)
- Contribute to monthly reports according to guidelines
- Plan and coordinate the budget for electrical activities in order to respond to the needs of the target population
- Manage, train and supervise the electricity team through activities such as capacity-building, briefing/debriefing and evaluation of staff
- Provide technical support and coaching to logistics staff
Depending on our activities and needs, your responsibilities may be adapted and evolve according to the specificities of each project.
You will not be facing these challenges alone—other MSF team members, both international and locally hired staff, will provide technical support, including extensive guidelines and protocols.
- At least two years’ professional experience in electrical related activities
- IT skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English and/or French; any other languages are an asset (Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian)
- Available for a minimum of six months
- Commitment to MSF’s work and values
- Strong team player
- Willingness to work in all kinds of contexts worldwide, including unstable areas
- Adaptable and able to work in a multicultural team
- Flexible and able to manage stress
- Self-driven with a solution-orientated approach
- Ability to train others
- Relevant qualification or technical diploma (e.g. CFC in Switzerland; CAP, BEP or vocational baccalaureate in France)
- Experience of setting up and managing electrical installations (e.g. in event organisation such as festivals, cinema, film shoots, lighting, etc.) or designing electricity projects
- Experience working in developing countries
- People management experience
How to apply
We encourage applications from people of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, backgrounds, religions, beliefs, abilities and all other characteristics of diversity.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.