Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Infection Prevention Control Mobile Implementation Officer (m/f/x) – MSF Belgium
Health Care Associated Infections (HAIs) are the most frequent and most severe complications in healthcare structures and a great concern for patient safety. Infection Prevention Control (IPC) is a practical, evidence-based approach preventing patients and health care workers from being harmed by avoidable infections and hospital outbreaks. IPC is closely linked also with the good practice of Nursing Care.
The Infection Prevention Control Mobile Implementation Officer (IPC MIO) works within the MSF OCB (Operational Center of Brussels) Medical Department, alongside another IPC MIO and reports to the IPC referent. They actively contribute to the achievement of MSF OCB’s aims to improve Quality of Care and safety of patients, caretakers and staff in primary and secondary health structures.
As IPC MIO you will support the evaluation, implementation and monitoring of the Prevention and Control of HAIs in MSF OCB projects and will do this through direct support to projects as well as contributing to wider reflection and learning for the organization.
- Provide technical supervision and expertise, support, training and guidance to the staff on IPC related issues using tools such as audits, checklist, surveillance, etc. and develop a training plan and materials as required.
- Perform assessments / evaluations of the IPC situation using existing tools relating to infrastructure, human resources, organization, adherence to IPC measures in all services including support services (sterilization unit, laundry and kitchen). Analyze and share results in the multidisciplinary team including the IPC committee.
- In collaboration with project leadership and service activity managers:
- Ensure and maintain the implementation of standard and transmission-based precautions in health structures in all departments including support departments.
- Provide technical support in the design of correct clean and dirty flows inside the health structures in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team.
- Ensure compliance to aseptic care techniques and the correct use of antiseptics, disinfectants, and detergents.
- Monitor and analyze the consumption and the quality of IPC materials and equipment.
- Participate in the definition of the IPC objectives and in collaboration with the IPC committee, define, implement and monitor the IPC annual plan Based on a Stepwise Infection Prevention and Control Approach (SIPCA) assessment (together with the IPC supervisor).
- Technical support to the committee/ IPC focal point in the implementation of protocols, new tools, training plans, etc.
- Provide direct support to teams in the identification /recruitment of a national IPC supervisor or IPC “focal point” in the projects.
- Provide support and guidance to the IPC national supervisor or IPC “focal point” in their daily activities, in the use of standardized tools for monitoring and surveillance.
- Provide training/ on the job coaching and capacity building to the IPC national supervisor or IPC “focal point”, nursing care director, head nurse, supervisors: hygienists, sterilization, laundry and kitchen departments.
- If required, directly contribute to broader training including communities of practice.
- Identify implementation concerns to those responsible and propose actions when necessary, with a quality improvement mindset.
Surveillance and monitoring
- Set up regular monitoring mechanisms for IPC activities, analyze the results, identify priorities and propose solutions when necessary. Establish, maintain and improve surveillance systems for HAIs in the facility.
- Participate and contribute in the elaboration of the contingency plan and the Emergency Preparedness & Response Plan regarding the IPC aspects depending on context and possible scenarios.
- Provide technical expertise and support in the monitoring of HAIs. Monitor the implementation of surgical site infections and catheter related bloodstream infections bundles. Support data collection of HAIs, implement surveillance tools.
- Provide technical expertise and support in the implementation and follow-up of hand hygiene observation/monitoring.
- Provide technical support and guidance to teams in the occurrence of hospital outbreaks in collaboration with IPC advisor and other experts.
- Provide support to the project regarding IPC aspects when AMR strategy is applied in projects, together with the other two pillars: Antibiotic Microbial Stewardship and/or Microbiology.
Education & Experience
- Registered nurse, midwife or medical doctor
- Master’s Degree/Diploma in Infection Prevention and Control is an asset
- Experience in Infection Prevention and Control activities in different environments
- At least 2 years of experience as IPC in MSF or other NGOs in at least 2 different contexts (especially if in low resources settings)
- Experience with working in Operating Theatre, Intensive Care Unit is an asset
- Implementation of quality improvement and/or behavior change processes an asset
- Personal flexibility relating to travel schedule
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural persons
- Good diplomatic communication skills
- Ability to teach and listen
- Ability to conduct assessments, analyze information, write clear reports with prioritized recommendations that facilitate implementation
- Humanitarian motivation and interest
- Oral and written fluency in French and English
- Expected starting date: June 2023
- Location*: Beirut (Lebanon) but mainly carried out in the field; Other MSF OCB medical hubs (Abidjan, Brussels, Nairobi…) can be discussed.
- Mobility: 80% in the field
- Contract type: Fixed-Term contract– Full time
- Contract duration: 12 months (renewable)
- Salary according to MSF Field grid
- Medical Insurance 100% covered as per international package – 45 paid leaves
- The contractual conditions will be established based on the station, on administrative / legal constraints and in respect of MSF function grids and salary policies
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
*The final outcome depends on local legal limitations (residency, work permit, etc.) and on agreement with the hosting MSF entity of these locations.
How to apply
Deadline for applications: 24 May 2023
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] and mention “IPC MIO” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.