Catholic Medical Mission Board (CMMB) is an international developmental organization that believes in a world in which every human life is valued, and health and human dignity are shared by all. We believe that access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. For nearly 110 years, we have worked with global partners to deliver locally sustainable, quality healthcare solutions to women, children and their communities. For further information on CMMB South Sudan, visit our webpage at http://www.cmmb.org/join-our-movement/careers/vement/careers/).
CMMB has been working in South Sudan for over a decade providing a package of integrated health services to vulnerable populations in South Sudan. CMMB supports the Ministry of Health (MOH), working with other health partners, to provide: (a) a continuum of care through integrated health services and related capacity strengthening at the community, facility and policy levels; (b) health infrastructure strengthening through construction and renovation to increase access to safe and secure health services; and (c) Health seeking behavior change communication through education, awareness and advocacy. CMMB also promotes equal access to basic essential medicine through its medical donation program.
The Lab Lead supports the program on laboratory issues connected with HIV testing, care, and treatment. Collaborating with the lab partner as necessary, he/she is responsible for ensuring that client lab testing is accomplished in timely fashion to guide clinical treatment and for identifying weaknesses in lab equipment, logistics, and site staff skill sets that will facilitate or impede return of results. When weaknesses are noted, he/she will plan to mitigate them via training, mentoring, and budgeting for repairs or additional transport. He/she will perform effective and efficient continuous quality improvement by assessing, monitoring, designing, developing, and evaluating network sites’ laboratory systems.
- Participate in periodic assessments of site labs to identify gaps related to quality systems and accreditation, and brainstorm with site staff or suggest corrective actions.
- Assist in establishing and strengthening quality assurance systems for laboratory tests and procedures, toward CQI, including for routine proficiency testing.
- Conduct regular technical assistance visits to program implementation sites to ensure that each performs with optimal efficiency and effectiveness.
- With sites’ leadership, discuss issues identified and proposed solutions.
- Assist in setup of systems for performing continuous laboratory quality improvement.
- Provide guidance to ensure that overall laboratory management procedures follow national guidelines and comply with regulatory requirements.
- Collect, synthesize, and transmit data and information related to laboratory utilization.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with appropriate government institutions, major partners, and other partners working in HIV.
- Ensure that site staff are regularly maintaining their equipment. Train, mentor, and coach lab staff to use and maintain lab equipment properly and adequately.
- Assist sites’ lab staffs to develop and display SOP for every lab test.
- Ensure that all sites’ lab staff are trained on lab biosafety measures and procedures.
- Make regular follow-up with sites’ lab managers to prepare and submit timely the monthly consumption report and forecasting.
- Represent the program and CMMB in technical meetings and workshops with PEPFAR, other stakeholders, implementing partners, and any other relevant institutions.
- Collaborate and share data with the strategic information team and other relevant members of the program core clinical team toward timely reporting and decision-making.
- Document global best practices and successes and share them in writing.
- Bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory technology or related field.
- Minimum of five years’ experience at management level.
- Three years’ experience with management of laboratory activities, including with procurement and supply chain management for the laboratory.
- Knowledge of laboratory issues and global best practices with respect to HIV and TB.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of program planning and implementation; good analytical capabilities.
- Fluent in English; Arabic and Azande preferred.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and covering letter addressed to CMMB South Sudan and HR at the following email address: [email protected]. Please note that CMMB is obliged to undertake a PSEA reference check on the selected candidate, and by applying you consent to this additional check on your person. Thank you for your interest in serving with CMMB in South Sudan.