Position Title: Migration Health Physician – Health Assessment Programs
Duty Station: Rome, Italy
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 12 April 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), as second Manager the Chief
Migration Health Officer, and in close coordination with the Project Manager, the Migration Health Physician – Health Assessment Programs will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Activities for all migrants’ movement assistance projects implemented by the Mission (including Resettlement and Relocation and Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration, AVRR).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Ensure the efficient daily operations of the Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC) or relevant counterparts’ clinics, in close coordination with the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and the Project Manager.
- Conduct the Italy MHAC’s migration health assessment process to fulfill the technical requirements of the involved countries, including through collaboration with relevant local service providers, in the areas of
- Medical examinations;
- Laboratory testing;
- Tubercolosis (TB) management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements, including COVID – 19 test;
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required
- Ensure proper identification of refugees and migrants during the health assessment and record all relevant health information in standard forms; ensuring completeness and accuracy of the recorded information.
- Perform treatment for TB and sexually transmitted infections and provide support to the HIV and counselling activities. Oversee and coordinate the management of TB cases to ensure effective TB treatment.
- Oversee and coordinate accurate and effective provision of immunization and presumptive treatment programmes in full compliance with the technical guidelines and protocols of the resettlement countries. Assist CMHO in monitoring, supervising and educating all staff in the delivery of these programmes.
- Contribute to and maintain a system of quality improvement for each service area within theM HAC. Undertake quality control activities on a regular basis, including practice observation, desk audits and use of self-assessment tools. Use data analysis and web reporting system to monitor performance indicators. Ensure implementation of the global IOM Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); create and implement Italy MHAC specific SOPs for each service area. Ensure proper reporting and management of incidents according to the Guidance Note for Incident Management.
- Organize systematic collection, processing and analyses of migration health data according to guidelines established by the CMHO. Ensure data quality. Provide periodic, as well as ad-hoc reporting to the CMHO for Pre-Migration Health Activities.
- Ensure that all data related to health assessment programmes is appropriately entered toMigrant Management Operational System Application (MiMOSA) and other related databases.
- Oversee the financial aspects of the activities performed in close coordination with the mission’s finance staff: supervise budget preparation, suggest adjustments and cost-effective solutions, and review financial reports in close coordination with the Project Manager.
- Provide oversight and coordinate the procurement of medical equipment, vaccines, when applicable, medications and other medical supplies in coordination with the CMHO and the Resource Management Unit.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Medicine or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above field with four years of professional work experience.
- At least four (4) years, post-graduation, (post internship in countries with mandatory internship programs) continuous clinical experience, preferably in a multidisciplinary hospital setting or in the field of Migration Medicine. The last clinical posting should be within the last five years;
- Proven experience in emergency settings in developing countries and/or in migrants reception centers;
- Valid license to practice in Italy is mandatory.
- Knowledge of aerospace medicine;
- Knowledge of occupational health applied to preventive medicine;
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and Italian is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Valid license to practice within country is mandatory.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2023 129 Migration Health Physician – Health Assessment Programs (P2) Rome, Italy (58049764) Released
Posting: Posting NC58049765 (58049765) Released