Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization providing assistance to people affected by armed conflicts, epidemics, natural or non-natural disasters, or persons excluded from access to health care. The organization has health projects in more than 68 countries.
MSF France Mathare project is looking to fill the position of a Sexual Reproductive Health Nurse. The successful candidate reports to the SGBV/Mental health Supervisor.
MSF France has had a significant presence in Kenya since 1996. In Mathare Lavender House Clinic, MSF runs a 24-hour SGBV Clinic for victims of sexual and gender-based violence and an Emergency program that provides pre-hospital care and trauma/medical stabilization. We also have a clinic in Dandora offering youth-friendly services to those between the ages of 10 to 24 years. All our services are free including a toll-free hotline.
The objective of the Position:
Provide Medical Treatment & Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) services to patients and Sexual Violence/Intimate Partner Violence (SV/IPV) survivors within the scope of his/her medical competencies. Referring patients with conditions falling beyond his/her competencies, in order to guarantee quality and efficiency of the service provided. This will be done in accordance with the context, MSF Medical protocols, procedures, and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of patient-centeredness care for the targeted population.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Offering the full spectrum of comprehensive clinical SRH services and procedures in the SRH unit according to medical and MSF protocols and guidelines.
- Provision of reproductive health education and counseling in line with patient needs and situational context.
- Carry out care, treatment, and medical procedures in the SRH & SGBV unit according to medical protocols and guidelines (including STI prophylaxis and treatment).
- Identify Sexual Gender Based Violence victims and attend to their medical needs by adhering to survivor-centered principles.
- Knows and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) & Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit.
- Participate in the response to Mass Casualty Incidences and other Medical Emergencies. (Ensure triage of patients in waiting areas and during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out prehospital care & stabilization)
- Know, promote, implement, and follow at all times the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention, infection control, security rules, and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment.
- Participate in department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (Weekly orders of drugs and supplies, carrying out inventories, carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of consultation rooms without prior authorization, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry out administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, etc.), ensure an appropriate written/oral handover, and report any problematic situations and cases that may arise. fill in all necessary registers and health files, participate in data collection, and keep doctors/supervisors informed. Also responsible for complete patient documentation and communication.
- Respect and ensure medical confidentiality and professionalism.
- Fills out all the required data tools and clinic registers
- Assists in the training of other staff, take part in CMEs and other learning initiatives
- To participate in any other project activities as will be required and provide input to the department.
Education: Bachelor’s degree/Diploma in Nursing with training in Sexual Reproductive Health and/or Counselling.
Experience: Minimum 2 years of demonstrable working experience in providing a comprehensive SRH service package. Previous experience in offering comprehensive SGBV care is an added advantage.
Languages: Essential local languages Kiswahili and English
Competencies/Skills: Adherence to MSF principles; Results and detail-oriented, service, team player, committed, passionate about SRHR.
How to apply
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF, and a PIN certificate).
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file mentioning the subject line “Nurse Sexual Reproductive Health” to Email: [email protected]
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF and will be treated confidentially. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data only for the recruitment process to have all the information and documents necessary to proceed with the recruitment, validation of your application, and selection of the most suitable candidate. MSF does not sell your personal data under any circumstances. If you have any questions, requests, or concerns, you can contact us on [email protected]
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, religion, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity, and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination.
Applications must be received before the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/ recruitment fee.