The Adventist Development and Relief Agency is an independent, humanitarian agency established for the specific purpose of providing individual and community development and disaster relief. ADRA Yemen pursue a mission of changing the world by uplifting one life at a time. ADRA serves more than 118 countries and is present in Yemen since 1995. It has more than 1200 aid workers serving in Yemen making it one of the biggest ADRA operations in the world. Its programs are supported by BHA, The Japan Platform, DANIDA, German Foreign Office, German Humanitarian Aid, Sida, IHA Canada, UNOCHA, WFP and FCDO. It has presence in 12 Governorates in Yemen responding to almost all areas of humanitarian sectors. ADRA Yemen is undertaking programs in Yemen in the fields of health, protection, NFI and food distribution, cash assistance, and livelihoods programming. Our work in these challenging settings gives rise to some of the most pressing issues facing contemporary humanitarian action, including questions of access, security, funding, and coordination.
The Communications & Advocacy Coordinator will be responsible for the development and production of key advocacy and communication products in close coordination with the Deputy Country Director and Senior Manager of Business Development and Partnerships Unit to amplify ADRA YEMEN’s presence in the humanitarian landscape in Yemen and internationally. He/She will provide administrative support to the communication officer and communications assistants to ensure products are in line with ADRA’s policy and guidelines.
The Communications & Advocacy Coordinator will ensure the ADRA Yemen’s values are streamlined and reflected across all external communications channels, meeting content needs in all aspects, and establishing a singular ‘voice’ for the response. The coordinator will also be expected to mentor and/or capacity build existing country program staff. This is an l role, aimed at coordinating a diverse communications portfolio, contributing to strategy development, leading special projects including impact reports, and liaising with other INGOs where necessary.
ADRA Yemen organization is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of adults at risks and children in the targeted communities, as well as the welfare of all ADRA Yemen representatives. ADRA Yemen expects the post holder to adhere to and share this commitment.
All necessary measures for safer recruitment would be required including thorough background checks.
In close coordination and under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director and Senior Manager of Business Development and Partnerships Unit The “Communication & Advocacy Coordinator” will be responsible but not limited to:
- Contribute in the development of advocacy strategies and plans in line with ADRA Yemen priorities; lead strategy implementation in the field and advise and support colleagues in global capitals in implementing the strategy with targets under the guidance of the Country Management Team.
- Develop and maintain active working relationships externally and across the Advocacy Working group.
- Closely monitor the evolving humanitarian and political context in Yemen and disseminate written and verbal updates and analyses in a timely manner to Yemen’s senior management and other relevant departments.
- Produce high-quality public and private policy and advocacy materials including letters, briefing notes, position papers, and advocacy reports. Provide high quality analysis on key humanitarian and displacement trends and prepare evidenced-based policy briefing papers, policy position statements and other public-facing advocacy products when strategic and relevant.
- Proactively engage with local and national organizations to establish a joint position on key issues.
- Develop and implement country-specific advocacy strategy, aligned to overall country strategy.
- Line management, including development of staff on advocacy issues.
- Ensure advocacy coherence and reinforce effective synergies between programmes and advocacy by working closely with programme staff to integrate advocacy into programme planning and implementation.
- Ensure systematic training on advocacy and communication and build the capacity of technical staff.
- Liaise with other agencies, to coordinate the strategic delivery of advocacy messaging and to maximise impact for delivering to conflict affected populations.
- Represent ADRA to key stakeholders, to strengthen strategic advocacy networks and identify opportunities to advocate ADRA’s position.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy and actions plan.
- Oversee and direct the communications department activities.
- Develop regular situation reports and communication materials for business development purposes.
- Ensure that all publications, reports, and products are produced in line with ADRA Yemen and donors’ requirements/policies.
- Based on specific instructions, draft key messages and utilize established channels for the subsequent distribution of public information to key stakeholders to facilitate buy-in at the community, national, regional levels.
- Set up a calendar and editorial style for all social media content developed.
- Oversee and produce content to meet supporting offices’ fundraising objectives and produce additional communication outputs for responses as required, coordinating closely with senior management teams on a response.
- Develop and prepare talking points, media pitches to the national and international press.
- Undertake necessary mission travel to assist with media outreach and public visibility activities.
- Contribute towards business development and new partnerships as requires.
- Attend to other responsibilities as needed within the position scope of responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Graphic Designer, journalism, or related field.
- Minimum of 4-6 years in a similar role. Preferably in Humanitarian NGOs.
- Proven experience in graphic, video, and writing materials production.
- Experience in leading communication activities and teams.
- Knowledge and skills of MS Office, including, In Design, Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Abode After Effects and other editing tools are required.
- Excellent writing English is required.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles; our key values:
How to apply
- The deadline for receiving applications is Monday, May 1, 2023
- Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by CLICKING HERE
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Submit only one application per position.
Females are encouraged to apply.