CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We are known everywhere for our unshakeable commitment to the dignity of people. Our Mission CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice.
- The Nutrition Officer will provide technical and operational support in the implementation of nutrition-specific program as well as contributing to meeting the nutrition needs of WFP/CARE project participants in North East Nigeria.
- The incumbent will support the design/review, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation, as well as knowledge management of activities relating to nutrition-specific interventions with a particular emphasis on maternal and child nutrition, nutrition in emergency, and comprehensive nutrition services interventions (CNSI) package
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and monitor the Nutrition program, verify the planned movements and distribution of nutrition products, resolving routine issues and/or escalating where appropriate, to ensure that the quantity distributed, and the quality of the operation is in line with the standards.
- Summarize Nutrition data, conduct analysis and prepare reports to support program reviews and informative decision-making.
- Improve the field staff/monitoring processes and procedures for efficient implementation of Nutrition programmes.
- Assist in developing and expanding malnutrition prevention activities by promoting IYCF and raising awareness in targeted areas.
- Strengthen eternal stakeholder engagement including district local governments to strengthen nutrition programming
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure CARE/WFP can quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Participate in national-level nutrition technical working group discussions as may be required by the Project/Sector Manager.
Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Assist in the collection of data, conduct assessments (needs, risks, and security), and provide input for concept note/ proposal development for Nutrition related project in collaboration with the local community structures and community members.
- Monitor progress against grant work plan; promptly identifying any current or potential delays
- Produce/give CARE and donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly, and annually) on grant activities, indicators, and achievements.
- Assist his/her supervisors to ensure all monitoring activities are fully detailed, including systematic and timely data required under the grant and for CARE M&E purposes.
Capacity Building and Coaching:
- Capacitate the community facilitators, staff under his/her supervisee, and others (if any) on Nutrition Programming.
- Support and mentor the CNMs and PMCs to meet the humanitarian principles during the Response program/facilitating the payment to the said category of people.
- Build team capacity in Nutrition through effective guidance, coaching, training, and accountability.
Coordination and Representation
- Participate in seasonal and Nutrition cluster assessments and share findings.
- Work integrating with CARE warehouse, finance, procurement, and admin/HR staff to process Purchase Requests, and Payments
- Represent the CARE on coordination meetings at different level like LGA, community and wards.
- Build a very good team spirit with CARE program and supporting staff at the field and office.
- Support communication and activities with other partners, agencies, NGOs, and government institutions.
Technical support for Nutrition Section
- Provides technical expertise and support during the review of nutrition guidelines and/or manuals or standard operating procedures; as appropriate,
- Provide technical support in the integration and implementation of social and behavior change communication works across the project implementation,
- Provide programmatic support and/or organize technical meetings under the guidance of the Nutrition Section,
- Provide technical support in liaising with other sectors like food security and private sector engagement, and support partnership, resource mobilization and advocacy efforts to strengthen project implementation.
- Contribute to CARE’s resource mobilization efforts.
Other Responsibilities as Assigned
- University degree/HND/BSC in any of the following disciplines: Nutrition, Public Health, or a related field.
- At least 3 years experience in Nutrition, Biology, Public Health, Nursing, or food aid support.
- A good experience in supervision is required.
- Experience with survey methodologies, nutrition assessment, and relevant data analysis
- 2-3 years progressively responsible experience in, Nutrition, Nursing/or Public Health Sector of INGO and/or directly related area
- Fluency in English and Hausa
- Experience in a development and/or humanitarian organization.
- Strong knowledge of Nutrition and/or Public Health
- Advanced computers skills at least intermediate skills in windows-based word processing, spreadsheet
- Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and organize own work plan.
- Resourcefulness, initiative, maturity, tact, and advocacy skills.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual, communication and public speaking skills
- Understanding of political dynamics, foreign policy decision-making procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and work without direction.