The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Pharmacy Officer – HeRON
Requisition ID: req39914
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
HeRON Project Overview:
- USAID/FCDO Health Resilience of Northeast Nigeria (HeRON) Service delivery project in Borno and Yobe states supports delivery of quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health services, to improve evidence-based decision making, accountability at all levels of service delivery.
- IRC leads a consortium of humanitarian and development implementing partners (Action Against Hunger – ACF, Society for Family Health Nigeria).
- The Project team is working work alongside states and local government authorities, strengthening their capacity to effectively deliver quality integrated primary healthcare, reproductive, maternal, and newborn and child health and nutrition services.
- HeRON is now in addition supporting the Adamawa State in a supplementary activity in an effort to contribute to the states durable solutions, by supporting and strengthening the Health systems that attains to the resettlement of the IDPs, IDP returnees and vulnerable in the host communities.
Scope of Work
- The Pharmacy Officer will report to the Pharmacy Manager and will be based in Yola, Adamawa State.
- S/he will be work closely with the IRC Adamawa HeRON team members in providing Pharmacy system Strengthening initiatives and durable solutions to the health system. By building the capacity of the health facility staff, community structures and LGAs to ensure implementation of HeRoN health system strengthening approaches and initiatives while ensuring accountability by the Health Facilities.
- S/he will support in aligned with the State’s Supply chain strategy of health products and the Health Sector priorities of IDPs and IDP returnee’s resettlement plan.
- The position holder must maintain collaborative working relationships established among key government structures and officials.
- The position requires experience with government health care system, good inventory management skills, understanding of the DRF system and experience of working in partnership with or directly with the Ministry of Health.
- S/he must have the ability to plan and collaborate with States & LGAs LMCU, LGHA, and the Ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders through coordination and consultation.
Program Management, Technical Quality, and Strategy:
- Provide TA and capacity building to both tiers of the Adamawa State government (State and LGHA) by strengthen state systems for procurement and supply chain management of health commodities.
- Provide Logistics support to State and LGA LMCUs focusing on reporting, data reconciliations, distribution, shipping, storage and warehousing of commodities.
- Responsible for daily to day warehouse maintenance and security and escalates major issues/repairs/improvements to the other IRC warehouse SPM for support.
- Ensure that all required health inventory checks are conducted, and all variances reconciled
- To provide technical coordination in product selection, quality assurance, receipt of commodities and efficient storage and distribution systems at the Health Facilities.
- Work with the Essential medicines program and the DRF of the state to direct outgoing or incoming health commodities distribution activities of health facilities and ensure health commodities or supplies are shipped, distributed, or received in an efficient manner and ensure that all required inventory checks are conducted, and all variances reconciled.
- Work with the PHCDA and other state team in developing, maintaining and improving a logistics management information system and an electronic inventory control system of stocking and tracking commodities.
- Support the state government team in the development of warehousing and distribution budgets Conduct periodic visits to facility warehouses to follow up on all warehouse-related matters such as the environment, sterilization, refrigeration etc. and generate reports to management and other stakeholders.
- Monitor safety standards in accordance with regulations; ensure safety code and quality compliance are met daily and report any issues arising to the Senior Pharmacy Manager (SPM).
- Work with the SPM and the state teams in designing coordinated systems for the transportation of health commodities report and forecast delivery times, transport costs and performance in order to reduce stock-outs, eliminate waste and lower costs.
- Ensure that all distribution documentation for health commodities in supported Health Facilities procured through state funds & funding from agencies, that is with suppliers, and regulatory bodies is complete and compliant.
- Work with the state team to institute data entries into the district health information system.
Effective Stock Management, Medical Supplies And Analysis:
- In close collaboration with the Drug Dispensers at the supported health Facilities, develops stock levels alert (based on an average monthly consumption (AMC) and morbidity data); Gathers stock indicators, analyze them, observe consumption trend to discuss and with the Health Manager/ Pharmacy Manager to avoid stock-outs at the health facility and the financial losses generated by expired items.
- Ensure quality assurance by conducting supervisory visits to HeRON supported government health facilities: S/he will serve as focal point for good distribution and dispensing practices in Health facilities.
- Monitor the identification and enrolment of IDPs, IDP returnees and vulnerable host community members on the state’s contributory health management schemes following the agreed guidelines in collaboration with the State.
- Support the dispenser for each team/facility to maintain and monitor good record of receiving, storing, dispatching of medical items in line with IRC guidelines or/and procedures.
- Regularly monitor the quality of product in storage at the health facilities and report any concern to the Senior Health Manager, Pharmacy manager.
- Ensure that all pharmacy files (including sites’ ones) monthly including monthly physical inventory file are Update and manage properly.
- Support the Area office and facility’s pharmacy to maintain permanently good housekeeping of the IRC pharma supplies (checking of temperature and hygiene).
- Applies Good Distribution Practices (GDPs) for pharmaceutical products at storage level, and Good Dispensing Practices in end user units and ensure adherence to same by HeRON supported health facilities.
- Manages medical stock data and indicators, analyzes and interprets performance to support the necessary programmatic decisions or course corrections in collaboration with Health and Supply Chain staff (consumption, stock levels, stock-outs, pre-stock-outs, over-stocking, donations, expired products, disposal, etc.)
- Regularly visits the warehouse to conduct audits and follow up on recommendations on GDPs: the layout of the warehouse, storage, product arrangement, reception, distribution and transport and conduct monthly and bi-monthly stock count and participate in the end of year counts.
- Be involve in monthly inventory checks and unscheduled inventory checks at the implementing sites/Facilities.
- Supervise the store release, distribution, and transfer of all stock to the required field site locations; and report the weekly movement of drugs and other commodities
- S/he shall monitor and report on monthly basis the Health Facilities consumption
- Perform any other related tasks as may be assigned by the line manager
Coordination & Representation:
- Participate in technical Coordination meetings at the LGHA, LGA LMCU and the State levels, as required.
- Facilitate the planning processes at LGA levels, to ensure an inclusive approach that engages stakeholders and communities to reflect health needs in the local context
- Jointly planning with stakeholders and organizing community-level and facility-level meetings
- Participate at program coordination meetings with the Adamawa HeRON team
- Coordinate with other partners and stakeholders in the supply chain of health products of the states to ensure harmonization and implementation the states strategic plans for the supply chain of health products.
- Works in close collaboration with the supply chain leads at the State Primary Health Care Development Agency, SMoH and LMCUs at both State and LGA levels.
Key External Contacts:
- HeRON Implementing partners (Program Staff)
- Ministry of Health, HeRON Technical Staff seconded to MoH, Health Facility staffs, Community Leaders, and Members.
- Graduate of Bachelor or Doctor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm or D. Pharm) with supply chain management and public health/system strengthening background.
- Post-graduate training in Supply Chain Management, public health, added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience, of which 2 – 3 years in health system strengthening and the development sector.
- Experience in deep field mission as a pharmacist in humanitarian setting is highly recommended.
- Must be registered with relevant licensing bodies and allowed to practice in Nigeria.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of drugs and medical supplies regulations of Nigeria.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- NGO work experience is an advantage.
- Should be able to use Microsoft Office especially MS-Word, Excel, outlook …
- Able to communicate in English language (written and spoken); Knowledge of local languages is a plus
- Additional qualities: team worker, be flexible, and adaptability to transitions.
- Have experience in general management (including financial and budget management, logistics management, etc.)
- Familiarity/ knowledge of operational contexts Adamawa State
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Background in Logistics and Supply chain management, situation analysis, Health System strengthening, Pharmacy systems strengthening, DRF scheme, health assessments M&E and program implementation.
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
- Flexible, diplomatic and have ability and willingness live and work under pressure of workloads
- A mature person of high professional discipline and moral integrity, proactive and able to work under stress as the situation may dictate.
- English. Knowledge of local languages is an added advantage
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Ability to Travel:
- 30 % of time
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: