1. Background and Justification
*Purpose of the Position
In the context of the EPI, at the country level, the incumbent will provide project management support in the implementation of the technical and operational plans, coordinate the allocation and use of financial resources and Support in grants management in close consultation with related teams, to ensure the effective delivery of technical programmes in support to the full cycle of the incident.
2. Job Description
Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate Strategic Objective
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on work environment within and outside the organization)
Under the direct supervision of the EPI Medical Officer and the overall guidance of the WHO Representative in Somalia , and working closely with EPI team members the incumbent will provide project management support and collaborate with other team members on all aspects of the implementation of EPI technical and operational plans.
*Summary of Assigned Duties
(Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected)
- Provide operational support to EPI Medical Officer in programme implementation, EPI award and grants management, budget, work planning, including the development, day-to-day operation, monitoring and evaluation of work plans to ensure the effective execution of the projects implemented at country level. Flag any implementation issues to the attention of the responsible officers.
- Coordinate, with technical leads and other teams: administration, supply, procurement and logistics, in the development, implementation and monitoring of the operational work plans and budget utilisation.
- Ensure proper use of designated funds to achieve results as per defined indicators; underpin compliance with project management principles.
- Support the conduction of a systematic analysis, consolidation and dissemination of information on programme management. Contribute to the preparation of monitoring and progress reports, briefings, proposals, reports, communications and advocacy documents required for strategic decision-making.
- Attend various project management meetings, coordinate and follow up relevant activities, ensure predictable follow-up on agreed action points with relevant stakeholders.
- Perform any other incident-specific related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
3. Recruitment Profile
Describe the core, management or leadership competencies required
(See WHO competency model – list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences*
- Ensure the effective use of resources
- Producing results
Functional Knowledge and Skills
*Describe the essential knowledge and the skills specific to the position
- Proven knowledge of project management, budgetary, financial, practices and the ability to develop a monitoring system that support these processes.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyse and synthesize information from multiple sources.
- Excellent knowledge and expertise in project design, monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong professional skills in the development of reports and persuasive documents.
A university degree in management, business administration, health policy/planning, economics, social development, social sciences or international relations.
Formal training in project management.
A minimum of one year experience in project management with experience planning, , budget, finance and/or related field, including sound understanding of resource utelization. Related experience in the context of outbreaks and/or emergency programmes.
Relevant work experience in WHO, other UN agencies, Health Cluster Partners, recognized Humanitarian Organizations or relevant nongovernmental organizations.
4. Use of Language Skills
Excellent knowledge of English. Working knowledge of another local and WHO official language would be an asset.
Other Skills (e.g. IT)
- Proficiency in standard MS Office software applications
How to apply
Your application should be sent to the below email address, please indicate the title of the position you have applied in the email subject by close of business Saturday 3 June 2023. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format) with your contact details.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.