POSTED ON : FEBRUARY 08, 2024 APPLICATION DEADLINE : FEBRUARY 17, 2024
Research Fellow with Maternal and Child Nutrition under the Nutrition Research Division (Adv#53/2024)
Maternal and Child Nutrition under the Nutrition Research Division is conducting basic research, intervention trials, implementation research, and program evaluation with an aim to reduce maternal, adolescent, and childhood malnutrition. In association with the Government of Bangladesh, pilot schemes implementing treatments for moderate and severe childhood malnutrition are being evaluated. Analysis of the barriers to the effective implementation of maternal nutrition programmes are also in place in this division.
The Research Fellow reporting to the Principal Investigator will be involved in conducting field-based scientific research on relevant public health issues in the context of nutrition-infection interaction; support the development of successful proposals related to research on maternal and child nutrition; coordination of research activities and develop research protocols from research evidence within the strategy of the center and organizational values and guidelines. S/he will be responsible for:
- Assist in developing a detailed research design, study implementation plan, data collection tool, and study methodology;
- Estimate requirements for financial and non-financial resources based on research methodology;
- Circulate new protocol drafts internally and externally, seek feedback and modify accordingly, Seek approval from Finance, RRC, ERC etc. on protocol;
- Coordinate with Research Administration (RA) unit of icddr,b for approvals for research-related activities;
- Contribute to other colleagues’ research protocols in order to develop effective protocols that meet the new research objectives;
- Monitor the project-related activities and staff;
- Assess, and enroll patients after obtaining informed consent form;
- Work with the field staff to collect biological specimens from the enrolled patients, Work with the lab personnel to analyze stool, blood, and biological samples at the lab, and follow up with patients according to protocol and review responses to clinical assessment;
- Critically assess data quality;
- Under the guidance of PI, apply rigorous scientific analysis to derive meaningful inferences from data; Evaluate those inputs and develop a draft report;
- Work jointly with PI and other team members to develop manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals;
- Conduct peer reviews of manuscripts of other researchers in order to support scientific manuscript creation while developing one’s own scientific writing abilities;
- Project Administration.
Required qualifications and experience:
Young, bright, and dynamic individuals who meet the following criteria and are aspiring to develop their careers as public health researchers in the research-based environment at icddr,b are encouraged to apply.
- MBBS /Master’s in Biomedical Sciences, Nutrition, Public Health, Statistics, Anthropology, Economics, or Social Science with a strong academic track record;
- Outstanding academic results (at least 3.5 out of 4 scales both in Bachelor and Masters) from reputed universities enlisted by the University Grant Commission of Bangladesh (UGC).
- Strong interpersonal and excellent communication and writing skills in English;
- Willing to travel frequently and work with different communities in the study areas (within and outside of Dhaka);
- Candidates with a Master’s in Public Health (MPH) will be given preference;
- Candidates showcasing exceptional research skills and/or having publications in peer-reviewed journals and/or abstracts presented at national/international conferences will be given preference.
Location: Dhaka with frequent visits to field sites
Contract Type and Duration:
- Fellowship agreement; duration will be 1 year with a possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.
Salary & Benefits:
Stipend: Tk.53,640/-per month (consolidated) inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances. Income tax paid by icddr,b, and subsidized canteen.
Evaluation & certification: The progress of the Fellows will be monitored and evaluated. On successful completion of training and final evaluation, the Research Fellow will be awarded a certificate.
After completion of at least 1 (one) year Fellowship, Fellows will be eligible to apply for any other suitable posts against icddr,b vacancy announcements. However, such posts are not guaranteed.
Notes of attention:
- Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for written tests/interviews.
- The selected Fellows will not be eligible for any other fellowship program at icddr,b.
- icddr,b does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website:career.icddrb.org by February 17, 2024.