Organisation Description: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. Johanniter International Assistance (JIA) is the operational unit for humanitarian aid. The Federal Headquarters (HQ) is based in Berlin, Germany. Our Global Strategy 2027 focuses on three key working areas: emergencies, health and livelihoods implementing and supporting projects with a specific focus on climate change and gender equality worldwide www.thejohanniter.org. Our commitment to a partnership approach and localisation agenda is based on mutual learning, respect and trust. We prioritise accountability, inclusivity and safeguarding in our work.
The overall objective of Johanniter in South Sudan is to reduce people’s vulnerability, specifically through contributing to morbidity and mortality reduction by improving the population’s health and nutrition status. Furthermore, improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), and protection services are an existential part of Johanniter’s South Sudan programme. At present, Johanniter runs eight integrated projects in former Western Bahr el Ghazal State (WBeG) of South Sudan focusing on maternal and basic health, nutrition (CMAM), WASH and GBV/Protection. Funding is secured through the German Federal Foreign Office, UN organisations (WFP, UNDP and UNICEF) as well as a variety of private foundations. One of our strategic goals is to continue our comprehensive programme in WBeG through to 2020 and beyond, while seeking opportunities to expand our programmes in other areas of South Sudan.
In a Nutshell
- Be responsible for the management and implementation of Johanniter programme in South Sudan, ensuring that all activities are within the strategic framework of Johanniter.
- Supervise our project staff and partners in implementing our programme in South Sudan.
- Assess and evaluate the activities as well as writing proposals for different donors.
- Assure that regular reporting requirements are completed on time within Johanniter and to donors.
- Support the Head of Mission in fundraising and representation.
- Be required to have a good understanding of the overall regional programme.
What you will do:
Strategy and Programme Development
- Contribute to the development of the country strategy based on the global Johanniter strategy
- Identify new programs through assessments that support the achievement of Johanniter’s strategic objectives in the country
- Lead project development processes and ensure production of high quality concept notes and proposals for submission to various donors
- Assess and build partnerships with new national, international or local partners
- Support program teams in contract management, grant inception workshops, submission of quality donor reports and donor compliance
- Design, plan and coordinate all projects of humanitarian aid and development cooperation in line with beneficiary needs, national policies, Johanniter and donor program objectives, policies and international standards
- Supervise and ensure that all program activities are implemented, reviewed and appropriate improvements made at field level
- Support and supervise national partners managing projects in line with project cycles, program objectives, log frames, activities and indicators
- Ensure cost effective planning, monitoring/supervision and evaluation of all project activities
- Recognize further needs and conduct assessments for project proposals
Programme Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure project monitoring systems are in place and that reviews are undertaken with the team, the Head of Mission, project partners and relevant local stakeholders
- Ensure accountability and transparency to beneficiaries, communities, donors, partners.
- Monitor and maintain compliance with standard Johanniter procedures and guidelines
- Ensure regular project team meetings at field sites for successful project implementation.
- Monitor the evolving humanitarian situation in the project regions and consider strategic and immediate responses
- Regular travel to all field sites depending on project needs and upon clearance for security
- Work closely with the PMEAL Coordinator on all aspects of monitoring, evaluation and accountability
Human Resource and Team Management
- Create and maintain a culture of team spirit
- Recruit and hire national staff according to HR plans agreed by the Head of Mission
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular bilateral and performance reviews
- Coordinate activities between the field sites, project partners and the country office
- Ensure both individual and team development and capacity building
- Accountable for all operations aspects of the WBeG operation area; Procurement and logistics, fleet and warehousing
Financial-, Logistics and Compliance Management
- Ensure that systems are in place that allow all Johanniter and relevant donor policies and guidelines to be implemented and adhered to
- Develop, monitor and forecast the annual operational budget and ensure timely management of financial reporting, audit compliance and cash flow
- Work closely with Finance Coordinator, Global Support Unit (GSU) and HQ on all financial and logistical issues
- Pro-actively follow-up recommendations of internal/external audits wherever relevant for WBeG office
- Prevent and proactively fight against corruption and investigate suspected fraud cases
Safety and Security
- Prioritize Safety and Integrity of all staff
- Monitor the security situation and establish a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment
- Elaborate local Security Plans and ensure that guidelines are followed and adapted as required, that the team is safe and well informed
- Review and update the security and contingency plan on a regular basis
Representation and Communication
- Build and strengthen external relationships and represent Johanniter with donors, host government and relevant fora
- Support Media and Press; contribute in preparing reports, updates and articles for Johanniter Communication and Fundraising Department
What you bring:
- BSc or MSc degree in a relevant field (preferably in Public Health or alike)
- More than 5 years of experience in a humanitarian context, preferably in an international NGO
- Experience in capacity building
- Experience in working with international and national partners, donors, health, and other authorities
- Experience in writing proposals and reports, monitoring and evaluation of projects in line with donor regulations and assessments
- Experience working in an insecure context
- Previous working experience in SSD is an asset
- Strong management, project planning and organizational skills
- Strong analytical, written/oral, negotiation and diplomatic skills
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics and ability to work in an international team
- Fluency in English required, German an asset
What we offer:
Remuneration: 54,159 – 57,009€ per annum
Benefits: 13th cheque, social security provisions (375€/ month for expats not under German social security), team house; International insurance package; 30 days annual paid leave; yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year); Cost of Living Allowance 870€/month
How to apply
If this is what you are looking for, please submit your application via [email protected] (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date. Please indicate “Senior Programme Manager SSD” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, irrespective of cultural, religious, social background, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation. We encourage qualified females to apply.
CVs shall be reviewed on the rolling basis, receiving applications may be closed before the deadline.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Suitable candidates with disabilities will be given preference.
Private Privacy Information can be found here
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Please note Johanniter requires background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.