The position of the Senior Project Manager involves managing multiple complex projects and external stakeholders to optimally design and deploy digital health apps built on the Community Health Toolkit (CHT). Additionally, it involves working in an agile environment alongside and coordinating with a dynamic, multi-skilled, multi-cultural teams of developers, designers, health systems specialists, data scientists and engineers to operationalize organizational and program strategy through project delivery.
Programme Strategy – 10%
- Support in country landscape analyses to inform organizational strategy, expansion and product growth opportunities.
- Contribute to the development and operationalization of programme, country and partner strategies based on partner & ecosystem needs alongside Medic’s strategic goals.
Project and Relationship Management – 50%
- Lead the scoping, budgeting and implementation of applications built on the CHT core framework, with a focus on operational excellence and overall quality.
- Coordinate a project squad that includes a Service Designer, Application Developer, Product team representative among others in the delivery pipeline.
- Proactively identify and manage project stakeholders, resources and scope, risks and uncertainties and building and implementing contingency and mitigation plans
- Develop and maintain high quality technical outputs such as progress and funder reports, presentations, for both internal & external stakeholders.
- Together with the Community Team, coordinate local ownership of CHT projects through development/ enhancement of training content and capacity building of local resources within partner organizations
- Continuously review existing products along with changing partner and user needs and champion the development of new features that improve the product and its performance to the expected user.
- Lead quality assurance of the project delivery pipeline to ensure a delightful up to date CHT application, sufficient infrastructure readiness to support deployment and scale, and skilled partner personnel to provide in-country support and eventual ownership if the the project
- Lead in the end user training process and proactively monitor engagement with the CHT application for universal health care.
Stakeholder management 20%
- Lead in project stakeholders mapping i.e. development organizations, governments, funding partners, technical partners etc and defining their role(s) in the project/ ecosystem and contribution to health impact.
- Build a strong rapport with stakeholders and embed within existing coordination mechanisms for efficient project delivery.
Partnerships and fundraising – 15%
- Support in ecosystem building, strategizing, conceptualization and advocacy with government and other players
- Proactively identify and steward new partnership opportunities that are aligned with programme strategy.
- Support in restricted grant writing, proposals with revenue goals
- Support in internal and external communications of program team activities in the relevant region, which could include but is not limited to:
- Contribute to regular externally facing documentation such as blog, abstracts, human impact stories for increased visibility
- Represent Medic in conferences and events to share learnings and build the CHT community
- Support External Affairs team in developing quarterly and annual reports
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- 5+ years of experience leading teams, either in digital health deployment, project management, product management, software development, technical operations, or a relevant area
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality results on schedule and within budget
- Outstanding and effective interpersonal skills paired with strong written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to translate technical jargon into partner-appropriate fluid conversation
- Experience working in social impact programmes and specifically programmes designed for marginalized communities
- Experience in engaging with government stakeholders at all levels – senior officials to frontline health workers
- Cultural sensitivity and adaptability to changing contexts and communication styles
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities, analyze problems, and find resolution to emerging issues at strategic and functional levels
- Self-motivated results-oriented team player, who also can coordinate and lead dynamic teams, some remote or global that spans multiple time zones
- Ability and willingness to work in a fast-paced, demanding, and sometimes unstructured environment
- Strong understanding of the eHealth / mHealth ecosystem
- Passionate about healthcare being delivered as a human right
- Fluent in English (written and spoken) and one other regional language
- PMP, Prince2 or an equivalent certification in Agile Project Management
- Legally eligible to work in Uganda.
- Demonstrated deep understanding of human-centered design principles and methodologies
- Experience with configuration management and release management
- General understanding of cloud-based technology, open-source software, development processes, and databases
- Working knowledge of monitoring or evaluation of technology/social innovation projects, knowledge of best practices in the field
- Familiarity with the health systems in East Africa, and experience working with marginalized communities in social impact programmes in the region
- Fluent in French (written and spoken)
Purpose & Impact
- Ability to create and see real impact in your work
- Freedom to take initiative and innovate, bonus of an agile, small team
- Work for a globally awarded social enterprise recognized for developing a solution that can create global systems change in the health sector
- Work with a value and mission driven team that is consistently described as warm, incredibly kind and supportive
- Exposure to a diverse team: over 15 different nationalities
- Opportunities for global travel: all team meet-up + functional team meet-up + field visits
Work/Life & Growth
- Generous leave time: vacation, maternity/paternity, bereavement, & sick days
- Professional development funds & opportunities + 5 days off for prof dev
- Home Office Set up Stipend.
- Flexible, remote schedules
We will be reviewing applications on a continuous basis, and the position may be filled prior to the application deadline. We encourage interested candidates to apply as early as possible.
Medic is a global nonprofit organization with a mission to advance equitable healthcare and strengthen community health systems by building, innovating, applying, and scaling open-source, low-cost digital health tools in collaboration with communities, governments, and implementers. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is a secured human right.
Medic serves as the technical steward and core contributor of the Community Health Toolkit (CHT), a leading open-source, global good for digital health and advanced community health systems. We drive increases in coverage, quality, and speed of care in the hardest-to-reach communities, improvements in health workforce performance, and greater data-driven decision-making among health system leadership. Digital health apps built using the CHT currently support over 41,000 health workers in 16 countries across Africa and Asia. To date, health workers using CHT apps have conducted over 80 million healthcare activities.
Our global team of 90+ teammates is our biggest strength. We live our organizational values of Humanity, Solidarity, Openness, Creativity and Initiative in everything we do. We are a remote-first organization that works across more than 14 countries, 32 cities, 4 physical hub locations (Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, and Senegal) and all time zones. We are dedicated software developers, researchers, project managers, designers, and operations specialists working together to reimagine care for all. Join our mission of building a more just world together!
How to apply
Please apply at www.medic.org/careers or