INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Country Medical Coordinator
Duty station: Odessa/Dnipro with frequent travels to field locations
Starting date: 01/10/2023
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of Programmes
Supervision of: PMR (Expat) – Pharmacist
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
The war in Ukraine, which started on the 24th of February, shows no signs of abating, and continues to drive increasing humanitarian needs across the country. The most recent verified figures record more than 11,000 civilian casualties since the war began, including 4,889 people killed and 6,263 injured. The real numbers are likely much higher, but already exceeds the verified 10,982 civilian casualties reported in the previous 8 years of conflict in eastern Ukraine. The number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) has now dropped from a peak of just over 8 million, however the majority (3.9 million) continue to be from the east of the country, the main focus of the current Russian offensive (IOM), with many IDPs coming from Kharkivska, Zaporiska and Dnipropetrovska Oblasts. Access concerns and humanitarian needs are particularly high in eastern Donetska and Luhanska oblasts where the conflict is intensifying and critical infrastructure damages prevent civilians from accessing basic services.
INTERSOS started working on the Ukraine crisis from the very beginning of the conflict, first through a regional response with operations in neighboring countries (Poland and Moldova) and subsequently within Ukraine (since March 2022). Today INTERSOS is present in Lvivska, Vinnytska, Poltavska and Dnipropetrovska Oblasts with bases of operations and warehouses in Lviv, Vinnytsia and Poltava, allowing a wide geographical coverage. Moreover, INTERSOS is in the process of expanding operations in Odeska and Dnipropetrovska with dedicated bases of operations. INTERSOS is currently implementing Health, Protection, NFIs and WASH interventions, funded by UNHCR, SV, OCHA, GFFO and ECHO encompassing several components: distribution of medicines to Regional Health Departments and shelters and equipment for clinics, Cash for Health, mobilisation of Protection mobile teams, establishment of community-based protection mechanisms, case management for CP/PWSN cases, psychosocial support (PSS), Protection Monitoring (PM), and distribution of material assistance to vulnerable individuals and households.
General purpose of the position
In close collaboration with the EU and the Medical Unit, defining and implementing the medical strategy of the mission. Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the mission, according to INTERSOS charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national protocols, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Responsible for defining the medical content of the INTERSOS medical strategy translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
- Overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of medical interventions conducted by INTERSOS projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centred activities
- Continuously monitor the medical and humanitarian needs in the Mission country in new areas of intervention or in areas where INTERSOS is already present through exploratory missions, determining necessary resources in order to define health priorities and potential new programs to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
- Coordinate with the Medical Unit for the validation of the project proposals he/her designs to be submitted to international donors and private foundation
- In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervise the associated processes (recruitment, validation of medical staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal / external communication). Coach and directly support the medical teams in the implementation of the medical activities making sure that internal protocols are respected as well as the ones of local Ministry and Health Department
- Responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures and protocols. Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the submission of all medical purchase requests. Being accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission, including projects. Provide reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective, as required
- Represent INTERSOS before local medical authorities and guarantee constant presence and active participation to the health and nutrition coordination fora (clusters meetings, other technical coordination meetings) and keep regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthening the impact of the medical intervention and supporting advocacy actions
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in medicine or other paramedical studies. Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a degree in Public Health
- Minimum 3 years relevant work experience as Medical referent in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environments
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Demonstrate experience with different donors compliance and reporting
- Fluent knowledge of English
- Knowledge of local language (Ukrainian) is an advantage
- Leadership, people management and development
- Strong teamwork and cooperation capacities
- Strategic vision
- Service orientation
- Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-XXXX – Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.