Position Title: Health and Nutrition Officer
Number of positions: 1
Reporting to: Health and Nutrition Program Manager
Duty Station: Hudur
Contract Duration: 12 Months
Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 24 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 50 countries, our 8,300 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. As an independent NGO, Action Against Hunger USA currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zambia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $100 million in programs, and approximately 1,800 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
The Health and Nutrion Officer is responsible for overseeing implementation of all health and nutrition activities in coordination with the field coordinator in SWS State by ensuring compliance with WHO, MOH, Health and nutrition clusters guidelines and policies in each program component.
He/She will directly work with other project staff in SWS State, RMO, DMO and MoH staff to implement health and nutrition services and will closely work with other partners present at the district, regional and state level. Nutrition programming includes community-based management of acute malnutrition through SC, OTP, TSFP, and IYCF. Health programming includes services through Hospitals, PHCCs and PHCUs, as well as mobile outreach and public health campaigns.
The health and nutrition officer purpose, engagement, and delivery are:
The Health and Nutrition Officer will oversee day-to-day implementation of health and nutrition program activities in SWS State in line with Action Against Hunger standards as well as aligning programming to essential package for health services (EPHS) package for Somalia. He/she will work with MoH staff and provide technical support to MoH facilities at district level as part of health system strengthening.
- Represent Action Against Hunger on health and nutritional issues at state, regional and district level through engagements of RMO, DMO and Local Authorities
- The officer will be able to develop framework for communication with Local representatives (Regular meetings, identification of Key local actors and collaboration with them in order to facilitate harmonious and productive relations.
- Identifying partners and other agencies in the area (gap analysis of who is doing what where), Introduce the program to the local authorities, community representatives, beneficiaries, and partners.
- In addition he will be able to participate in regular Coordination meetings at state and Field level with the MOH staff and regional/state clusters.
- Organize regular meetings with other sectors within ACF and other agencies in the area and plan for joint activities.
- Develop referral pathways, district mapping, and stakeholder analysis within supported Districts in Puntland State.
- Organize weekly coordination meetings and updates with the field teams.
- Ensures quality programmes are implemented at field level in line with Protocol
- Ensures timely reporting of routine project activities.
- Provides support to MoH staff within supported districts.
- Promotes positive behavior change through community engagement.
Essential Job Duties
- Ensure proper documentation of activities at both the community and health facility level ensuring that accurate beneficiary records are maintained
- Check that the medical and nutritional protocols are respected: admission and discharge criteria, frequency of measurement, distribution of nutrition products and systematic treatment protocols are followed
- Ensure that the health facilities keep updated stock of all essential supplies and requisitions for health and nutrition supplies are made in a timely manner.
- Ensure the follow up of attendance and the punctuality of staff
- Ensure that staff work plan is prepared on a monthly basis in liaison with MoH
- Support in capacity building of the Health and nutrition teams on IMAM and IYCF, IMCI and maternal health, identify training needs and conduct regular refresher training.
- Introduce the program to the local authorities, community representatives, beneficiaries and partners involved regularly and plan for joint activities
- Represent Action Against Hunger in meetings with MOH and Partners within the districts, region and at state level.
- Follow-up of all the data/reports provided by health facility and mobile teams in the field.
- Ensure timely submission of all the reports in the field according to the stipulated deadlines.
- Monitor trends and update the manager/specialist on areas of concern
- Prepare weekly , monthly ,quarterly and annual reports (ONA, APR, narrative, consumption)
- Identify procurement needs and raise procurement requests on time.
- Manage health and nutrition commodities (Drugs, nutrition commodities, NFIs, Hospital food).
- Ensure that CHWs’ activities at the community level are on course and the team offers required support.
- To ensure routine mass MUAC screening and active case findings meet the required standards.
- Check that the stock and pharmacy are managed well, the supply of items needed in the CMAM team, follow up the equipment’s and general supplies.
- Ensure proper filling of OPD,ANC,PNC,OTP/TSFP registers and referral forms and that anthropometric and nutritional data are entered correctly.
No Supervisory Role
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of people of all genders equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where people of all genders can be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
Required Qualifications and competencies required
- Diploma in Nutrition, Public Health, Nursing, Social Sciences or related fields. Degree in related field is an added advantage
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in a similar field in Somalia context.
- Experience working in nutrition and health projects
Required Skills & Experience
- Humanitarian experience in medical and nutrition programs in Somalia(EPHS, CMAM, BEmONC, ICCM, CMAM, IYCF)
- Excellent knowledge of working with MoH, UN, and NGO Health/Medical systems and structures.
- Good analytical capacity.
- Conversant with Health Information Management Systems Data (DHIS).
- Competence in training and team management.
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and EPI info.
- Fluent in English and Somali (both oral and written) is compulsory.
- Experience and ability to design, manage, and forecast budgets.
- Working experience in the design, implementation, and analysis of coverage surveys (SQUEAC/SLEAC), KAP surveys, and/or rapid nutrition assessments and SMART surveys.
- Excellent report writing skills and solid working experience in proposal development
- Knowledge and adherence to the Humanitarian Code of Conduct.
How to apply
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
[email protected] not later than 16th September, 2023 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.