We are International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a global consulting firm working some of the most complex and impactful development problems worldwide. We work on programs that help government agencies, private companies and donors improve the lives of others. At IBTCI you will be part of an inclusive team that provides expert solutions and advice to understand and address critical problems while giving you opportunities to succeed and grow.
Job Title: Health and Nutrition Specialist, children, mothers, and adolescents – UNICEF Country Programme Evaluation
Department/Location: SEAD/Sierra Leone
Reports To: Project Director
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: This is an exempt level position and is not eligible for overtime pay
Clearance Required: N/A
IBTCI is seeking an experienced Health and Nutrition Specialist with a focus on children, mothers, and adolescents for a proposed UNICEF Country Program Evaluation in Sierra Leone to assess the Country Program’s performance in achieving its intended results for children, and thereby support UNICEF’s accountability and learning purposes. This opportunity is for local consultants who are resident in Sierra Leone.
Specific objectives of this evaluation are to evaluate UNICEF’s:
- Strategic positioning, programs already implemented, and those still in the implementation process
- Operational and programmatic dynamics in achieving the Country Plan (CP)’s intended results and contributing to the realization of child rights
- Strategic approach, sectoral and cross-sectoral implementation strategies, and use of evidence in integrating gender and equity dimensions, including adolescent development and other normative principles in the CP’s sectoral and cross-sectoral programs
- Good practices, lessons learned; and to provide feasible and relevant recommendations that will guide government partners, UNICEF, and other stakeholders in ensuring that the new CP will deliver successful and sustainable results for children.
The evaluation is structured in three phases, with an approximate level of effort of 80days.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Assess data availability, quality, and gaps to inform its choice of evaluation methods. This will include secondary analysis of existing data and review of project documentation.
- Develop the evaluation matrix and data collection strategy; identifying alternative approaches for data collection and designing a strong methodology to analyze data rigorously.
- Conduct field research including key informant interviews, data collection, and analysis.
- Participate in exit debriefing and briefings with UNICEF country team staff.
- Prepare written and oral reports on all matters within the consultant’s area of expertise as directed by the Team Leader and the home office project director.
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong technical expertise in health and nutrition of children, mothers, and adolescents
- Minimum of five to seven years of relevant professional experience including in research or/and evaluation
- Proven track record in evaluating technical assistance to the government in strengthening institutional capacities for disaster risk management and humanitarian supply chain
- Proven track record of evaluating health and nutrition programs
- Fluency in English and local languages
- Prior experience conducting similar evaluations in Sierra Leone
- Oral and written fluency in English required, fluency in another language preferred.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Besides having the specific skills requested, the consultant should also have expertise in one or more of the following areas, and indicate which additional areas they can cover in their response:
- Health and nutrition of children, mothers and adolescents
- Child protection and gender-based violence
- Social protection including children with disabilities, child poverty,
- Policy, local governance and PF4C
- Disaster risk reduction and emergencies
- Social and behavior change and community engagement
- Gender and adolescent engagement
Prior experience in conducting UNICEF evaluations is preferred. Knowledge of local languages is also preferred.
Education: Relevant higher academic/post-graduate degree
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
COVID Vaccine status: As a condition of employment, IBTCI requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Candidates should be prepared to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon hire or request for an accommodation with HR that is consistent with our COVID-19 safety protocols and policies.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International and in-country will be required.
Work Authorization: Candidate must be authorized to work in Sierra Leone
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About the Organization:
IBTCI has been in business since 1987. We specialize in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL), Institutional Support (IS), Financial & Risk Management (FRM), Supply Chain Management & Procurement (SCMP); Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Capacity Building. We provide these services across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture, resilience & food security, conflict & crisis, democracy & governance, economic growth & trade, education & human capacity development, energy & infrastructure, environment & climate change, global health & WASH and humanitarian and disaster assistance. At IBTCI, our colleagues are encouraged to collaborate and be part of the solution while getting the tools and guidance needed to grow and support our clients’ missions.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Talent Acquisition team at [email protected] (Do not send your resume to this account, for consideration please apply in our career page, https://careers.ibtci.com/jobs).