Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Medical Doctor (m/f/x) – MSF Belgium – Brussels
This is an ideal position for someone seeking a first taste of humanitarian medicine in Belgium for the first six months.
After the recruitment, you will integrate the MSF pool of medical doctors and MSF will propose you international missions, more particularly in migration contexts, according to humanitarian needs.
MSF’s mission in Belgium aims to address through a multidisciplinary and collaborative approach, the health needs and key social determinants of the most vulnerable segments of the population including migrants in transit, undocumented migrants and unaccompanied minors, while proactively engaging in assessing main difficulties and promoting institutional change.
Since 2015 MSF has been mainly providing first-line psychosocial and mental health services for migrants at the Humanitarian Hub and follow up for patients at the project offices. The Covid-19 pandemic led to a shift in the activities with the introduction of an outreach team initially focused on dealing with outbreak clusters and Covid-19 prevention. The outreach team now focuses on providing a comprehensive package of activities including curative medicine, health promotion, prevention and psychosocial support for migrants living in precarious situations in Belgium.
Over the last year the team’s activities have also permitted the identification of situations which necessitated emergency interventions; for example, to ensure access to basic medical care for asylum seekers outside the Migration Office in Brussels. The identification of the scabies and diphtheria epidemic in Brussels was also done through the work of the outreach team and the team subsequently organised the testing and treatment center and the vaccination campaign for migrants living in squats and shelters.
You will integrate the Brussels migration project including the outreach and mental health team and will be responsible for applying your medical knowledge and skills to diagnose patients and contribute to disease prevention.
Provide medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiary’s health conditions.
- Carry out first line medical consultations and prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols, in squats and other informal settlements, as well as in New SAMU Social shelter for unaccompanied Minors.
- Together with the psychiatric nurse, carry out outpatient consultations and follow-up for severe patients identified by the MSF psychosocial team and needing psychiatric treatment (SSRIs, basic antipsychotics).
- Identify patients in need of medicolegal certification and prepare these certificates.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological and project data, checking its validity and informing the coordination about any problems or issues needing further investigation.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team and partners in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Know and ensure all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensure professional confidentiality is respected.
- Directly participate in emergency interventions if and when necessary.
- Medical Doctor diploma. Diploma in Tropical Medicine essential.
- 2 years experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training). Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health, obs and gynae, pediatrics, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery.
- Experience in areas such as mental health including drug (mis)usage or victims of sexual violence and torture is an asset.
- Good oral and written French and English language skills.
- Expected starting date in the Belgian mission: 1 June 2023
- Location*: Brussels (Belgium)
- Contract type: Fixed-term contract – full-time
- Contract duration: 6 months
- Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid
- Meal Vouchers – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- After this first assignment in Brussels, willingness to leave as international mobile staff to several missions between 6 and 12 months without your partner and/or family and to work in an unstable environment. Find out more about working in the field with MSF on https://www.msf-azg.be/fr/travailler-avec-msf/sur-le-terrain
- Dynamic and stimulating work environment alongside multicultural colleagues and personal career development throughout several missions.
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
*Due to administrative constraints given the duration of the contract, candidates must already have the permanent right to work in Belgium (European Union citizen) or a residence permit/document with the mention “access to the labour market unlimited”
How to apply
Deadline for applications: 10/04/2023
Please, send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] and mention “Medical Doctor” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.