Hours: Ad hoc consultancy work or 20% of full-time (average 1 day per week)
Remuneration: Pro rata of £30,000 – £40,000 gross annual (dependent on experience, qualifications and registrations)
Duration: Open – ended
Location: Homeworking, with potential to undertake deployed overseas roles
Can you use your health expertise to shape our humanitarian health response?
UK-Med is a frontline medical aid charity. Born of the NHS, we’ve been working for over 30 years towards a world where everyone has the healthcare they need when crises or disasters hit. Rehabilitation has a unique role in disaster response. We are excited to be strengthening and expanding our rehabilitation capabilities in global response activities. We aim to be a leader in the field of rehabilitation in global response activities.
We are seeking a small number of health professionals to join us as part-time Health Referents to build on the health expertise in our core team. Our core Health Team has significant expertise in humanitarian healthcare, and has always brought in additional expert support through consultancies when required. Following a period of significant growth, we are looking to bring specific expertise into the core team on an ongoing basis through a group of part-time Health Referents.
Our Health Referents will bring specific technical expertise in a variety of health fields to ensure that UK-Med’s programme design and implementation remains in line with current best practice.
As a Health Referent, you will provide clinical / technical health expertise and advice, contributing to our work through:
- Advising and guiding our health teams in humanitarian contexts in their planning and work
- Helping in the design of SoPs, policies, and guidance documents from your field of expertise
- Developing capacity building interventions (e.g. training sessions, online learning packages, coaching) to develop skills of UK-Med personnel and our partners (e.g. Ministry of Health staff, other NGOs)
- Helping to ensure we have the right people working in humanitarian responses by shaping role descriptions, person specifications, selection interview questions and model answers.
- Working on programme design and proposal preparation for work linked to your expertise.
- Contribution to quality assurance and after action reviews of health activities
Our ideal candidates will be highly skilled health professionals with significant experience of humanitarian health responses. You will be flexible enough to respond to urgent requests, and able to deliver against longer-term objectives, while working independently with minimal guidance.
We offer competitive remuneration and benefits along with a friendly working environment and the opportunity to make a real difference through your work.
How to apply
We strongly recommend that you read the Candidate Information Pack – Health Referent – IPC June 2023 before applying for this role.
To apply, please submit a current CV and a supporting letter (2 pages) through our online.
Your covering letter must include a detailed explanation of your suitability for this post with specific reference to the criteria in the person specification
Applications must be submitted no later than Monday 26 June 2023
UK-Med is committed to safeguarding of our personnel and beneficiaries and has a zero-tolerance approach to sexual exploitation and abuse. We conduct thorough vetting before any appointment is confirmed.
UK-Med is committed to the principles of diversity, equality, and inclusion. We strive to provide an inclusive and supportive environment where employees feel respected and supported to be able to fulfil their potential.