ALIMA, the international medical NGO with a human face, which puts the co-construction of projects and career paths at the heart of its model
THE ALIMA SPIRIT: ALIMA’s raison d’être is to save lives and care for the most vulnerable populations, without any identity, religious or political discrimination, through actions based on proximity, innovation and alliance of organizations and individuals. We act with humanism, impartiality and with respect for universal medical ethics and our environment. To gain access to patients, we are committed to acting in a neutral and independent manner.
THE VALUES and PRINCIPLES of our action set out in our CHARTER:
- The patient first
- Revolutionizing humanitarian medicine
- Responsibility and freedom
- Improve the quality of our actions
- L’intelligence collective
- Environmental responsibility
ALIMA promotes and defends the principles of fundamental human rights. ALIMA has a zero-tolerance approach towards people guilty of acts of gender-based and sexual violence as well as towards inaction in the face of alleged or proven acts of violence. The protection of those benefiting from and impacted by our intervention is our top priority in everything we do. Anyone collaborating with ALIMA agrees to:
- Respect the charter, the code of conduct, the institutional policies including the policy of protection against abuse of power and sexist and sexual violence, the policy of prevention of corruption and fraud;
- Report any violation of the policies, framework documents and procedures to a superior, a superior, a referent, a referent
**TREAT – INNOVATE – TOGETHER:**Since its creation in 2009, ALIMA has treated more than 10 million patients, and today deploys its operations in 12 African countries. In 2021, we have developed more than 60 humanitarian medical response projects to meet the needs of populations affected by conflict, epidemics and extreme poverty. All of these projects are carried out in support of the national health authorities through nearly 357 health structures (including 45 hospitals and 312 health centres). We work in partnership, particularly with local NGOs, whenever possible to ensure that our patients benefit from the expertise where it is, whether in their country or the rest of the world. In addition, to improve the humanitarian response,
**THE ALIMA TEAM:**More than 2,000 people currently work for ALIMA. The field teams, closest to the patients, receive their support from the coordination teams generally based in the capitals of the countries of intervention. These receive support from the 4 desk teams and the emergency and opening service team based at the operational headquarters in Dakar, Senegal. The Paris and New York teams are actively working on fundraising as well as representing ALIMA. The rest of the ALIMA Galaxy includes individuals and partner teams who work on behalf of other organizations such as medical NGOs BEFEN, Alerte Santé, SOS Médecins, KEOOGO, AMCP-SP, research organizations PAC-CI, Inserm , the Universities of Bordeaux or Copenhagen, the NGO Solidarités International and many others.
**OUR COUNTRIES OF INTERVENTION:**Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Guinea, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Sudan, Chad, Ukraine.
**OUR PROJECT THEMES:** Malnutrition, Maternal Health, Primary Health, Pediatrics, Malaria, Epidemics (Ebola, Cholera, Measles, Coronavirus, Lassa Fever), Research, Hospitalization, Emergencies, Gender-Based Violence, vaccinations, health mental, …).
Career category: Program/Project Management
Years of experience: 3-4 years
Research at ALIMA: CORAL, Emerging Infectious Diseases (EID) division
The CORAL platform (Clinical and Operational Research Alliance) was created in 2016 by ALIMA, INSERM and PAC-CI following their collaboration in the response to the Ebola Virus Disease epidemic in Guinea. This platform aims to combine research and humanitarian action in order to improve the quality of care delivered to populations in crisis situations and thus reduce mortality. The CORAL platform conducts both research projects on emerging infectious diseases and on maternal and child health, in particular on acute malnutrition. The MIE cluster conducts research projects in Africa on viral haemorrhagic fevers (Lassa fever and Ebola Virus Disease) as well as on COVID-19.
Mission location : Paris, with trips to the various project locations.
PROTECTION OF BENEFICIARIES AND MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY
Level 3: As part of his or her duties, the incumbent will be required to visit programs and be in contact with children and/or vulnerable adults. Therefore, a criminal record check will be required.
FUNCTIONAL AND HIERARCHICAL LINKS
- He/she is responsible for the field research project managers,
- He/she reports to the coordinator of the MIE pole and his/her deputy,
- He/she works closely with the ALIMA Research Manager and the ALIMA coordinations of the countries concerned.
MISSION AND MAIN ACTIVITIES
In collaboration with the coordinator of the CORAL MIE cluster and her deputy, the scientific project manager coordinates the activities of the research projects entrusted to him.
1. Responsible for drafting tenders
- Collaborates with the research donor referent and the research manager for the drafting of calls for tenders and contractual follow-up (reports to be provided, etc.), communicates with donors and partners for scientific aspects,
- Participates in the preparation of the budget.
2. Responsible for writing scientific papers
- Responsible for writing study protocols, in collaboration with the coordination of the pole and the principal investigators,
- Responsible for amendments to study protocols which he/she monitors,
- Sharing and communicating after submission to the ethics committee,
- Sets up the study documents (Source documents, Case Report Form, database, etc.),
- Contributes to the collection, monitoring and analysis of data in collaboration with the methodology and evaluation team for CORAL clinical research,
- Ensures ethical compliance and Good Clinical Practices of projects,
- Realizes the scientific valorization of the results obtained (writing of articles, various scientific communications), with the support of the principal investigators.
3. Supervision of field activities, in collaboration with the ALIMA coordination of the countries concerned
- Supervises the heads of research projects in the field and provides technical support to the teams,
- Participates in the recruitment of research teams in the field (technical validation),
- Oversees budget monitoring, ensures weekly monitoring of projects (planning of activities and project timeline) and participates in team meetings, organizes and co-hosts scientific meetings (participants, theme, logistics) remotely or face-to-face ,
- Provides the position of project manager in the field at the request of the coordination of the MIE pole.
- Supervises students in internships according to the needs of the projects,
- Contributes to the definition of CORAL’s scientific strategy within the framework of its cluster, represents CORAL/ALIMA within the framework of consortiums, partnerships or the development of new contacts in collaboration with the coordination of the cluster.
4. Implementation of preventive measures against abuse of power, gender-based and sexual violence:
- Participate in training and awareness sessions,
- Applies standards relating to the prevention of abuse,
- Ensures, where applicable, that the members of his team follow training and awareness sessions and apply the rules for the prevention of abuse,
- Contributes to creating and maintaining a fulfilling and protective environment.
EXPERIENCES ET COMPETENCES
Candidate’s experience / training
- Doctor, nurse, pharmacist or laboratory diplomas preferred,
- Master or thesis in public health/epidemiology compulsory,
- Previous experience in clinical research of at least 1 year,
- Knowledge of good practices related to mandatory clinical research: Regulatory aspects, ethics and vigilance,
- Desired field experience, teamwork,
- Mastery of the Office pack, other collection software, data analysis is a plus,
- Experience and proficiency in creating and managing data,
- Statistical analysis skills is an asset.
Field trips are expected.
Candidate’s spoken languages
Fluency in oral and written French and English is essential.
Type of contract : CDD under French law
Duration of the contract: 6 months renewable
Starting date : As soon as possible
Salary: Level 8 of the Paris Headquarters Grid
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter online
Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.
ALIMA reserves the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if an application is accepted.
Only complete applications (CV in PDF format + Letter of Motivation) will be considered.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged.