The Health System Enhancement to Address and Limit (HEAL) COVID-19 project funded by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) aims to assist in scaling-up the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) emergency response of the Philippines Government while strengthening the Philippine Health System to become more cost-effective and sustainable.
Under the agreement for the HEAL project which is lodged at the Bureau of International Health (BIHC) of the Department of Health (DOH), is mandated for the establishment of isolation facilities in thirteen (13) DOH hospitals to ensure infection control as well as to the molecular laboratory of two (2) DOH hospitals for COVID-19 diagnostics. This is accomplished by the Bureau of International Health Cooperation BIHC), in collaboration with the Health Facilities Enhancement Program – Management end-users, supplier’s and recipient health facilities. The timely construction of the Isolations Facilities and Molecular laboratories is essential for the management of COVID-19 related cases.
In relation to the construction management for the 13 isolation facilities and 2 BSL-2 molecular laboratories, UNOPS has partnered with the DoH and is providing Technical Assistance though the provision of site supervision consultancy services to the DoH.
The availability of the key equipment and new infrastructure will strengthen the ability of the health system in the Philippines to effectively treat COVID-19 cases. The expected outcomes of the project are:
- Strengthened preparedness and response capacity of the Philippines health system in regard to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19;
- Reduced COVID-19 transmission and increased safety of the local populations.
Under supervision of the Senior Project Manager, the Lead Biomedical Engineer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Providing leadership to the Project Biomedical Engineers and coordination with the ARHC Procurement Team responsible for the procurement of the medical equipment.
- Provide prompt, high quality and professional engineering support in all activities related to the research, commission and installation of medical equipment.
- Participate in the review and analysis of existing health equipment and installations (field assessments) in various sites.
- Review the medical equipment specifications and requirements under design, in terms of accuracy, suitability and context.
- Participate in meetings and work closely with other respective medical experts to identify exact Locations and dimensions for equipment to facilitate better and efficient patient and process flows.
- Assess the probabilities for integration of the new equipment into existing medical systems.
- Prepare drawings to show proposed locations and installation for the medical equipment.
- Develop the schedule of the requirements, conditions, evaluation criteria and exact submission needed from the bidders before the bid solicitation.
- Produce bills of quantities for tender purposes in terms of accuracy and content.
- Prepare technical specifications for medical systems including components, products, apparatus, and services together with the expected quality of workmanship, in close coordination with the Procurement team.
- Preparation of estimates of prices for all medical equipment.
- Participate as technical evaluator of proposals for the supply of medical equipment.
- Participate in scheduled site visits for inspection during implementation.
- Witness the testing, commissioning of the installed equipment, the training of end-users and review shop drawings from contractors and issue a take-over certificate of the installed equipment.
- Development of a comprehensive maintenance plan for the installed equipment.
- Keep files and records of the design processes and decisions.
- Scheduling requested tasks related to medical works.
- Maintain accurate, current, comprehensive documentation for each area of responsibility.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Prepare weekly & monthly progress reports: progress of works based on the established schedules and plans, encountered problems, solutions, planning of activities for the following week, etc.
- Consolidated monthly/quarterly progress reports.
- Prepare and maintain an inventory list of medical equipment.
- Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment.
- Establish solid working relationship with the government.
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
- Manage the information flows between the project(s) and the government.
- Liaise with technical committee and end users.
- Prepare an accurate inventory list of all medical equipment
- Complete operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment
- An advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in biomedical engineering, project management, or in any relevant area is required.
- A university degree (Bachelor’s degree level) with a combination of 2 years of relevant professional experience as a biomedical engineer may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in medical equipment management, purchase and/or installation and maintenance is required.
- Working experience in developing countries will be an asset.
- Experience in the maintenance and the acquisition of health biomedical equipment is an asset
- Experience of successfully working with a variety of health sector stakeholders, particularly governments and development partners is an asset.
- Proficiency with computers in particular AutoCAD, and other related software related to the position field of expertise is highly desirable.
- Experience working with developing nations and/or large global donors such as Global Fund, USAID, World Bank, etc. is an advantage.
Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.