Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian, organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
Médecins sans Frontières seeks for its field position Medical Coordinator – Palestine.
MSF OCP has been present in Jerusalem and West Bank since 1988 and in Gaza Strip since 1989, mostly focusing on mental health and sexual & gender-based violence care in Nablus governorate and in specialized surgery and rehabilitation for burns in Gaza. In addition, OCP has been involved in trauma surgical activities following the peaks in violence in Gaza, most recently between 2018-2022 with a traumatic osteomyelitis program.
In close collaboration with the HoM and the Medical Department, defining and implementing the medical strategy of the mission. Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the mission, according to MSF’s charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national laws, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
- Being responsible for defining, monitoring and updating the medical content of the MSF country policy, medical strategy, annual plan and budget, translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk, and ensuring that the objectives and goals set in the Mission’s annual plan, CPP and project plans are
- Being overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of medical interventions conducted by MSF projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centered
- Continuously monitoring the medical and humanitarian needs in the Mission country through exploratory missions, the use of health information systems, monitoring and reviewing project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at-risk.
- Being responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the medical technical aspects, humanitarian needs and in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator, the material aspects of the programmes through regular field visits, analyzing difficulties during the implementation and reporting deviations as they appear, to proactively provide the necessary solutions and achieve operational
- In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participating in the planning, definition, and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervising the associated processes (recruitment, validation of medical staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development, and communication). Coaching and directly supporting project coordinators and medical teams in the implementation of the medical
- Together with the HR Coordinator, defining, updating and implementing the Mission’s Health and Safety Policy Framework including medical insurance, social packages and repatriation Ensuring the guarantee of the highest possible level of medical related security issues (mental and physical health and safety in the workplace) and monitoring the psychological status of all Mission’s staff, suggesting solutions to help improve mental health related issues
- Being responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures, and Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the submission of all medical purchase requests to HQ. Being accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission, including projects.
- Providing reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective, as required, and is responsible for the Medical Library of the Mission. Informing the medical field staff of all materials available, and keeping all medical documents updated in the database
- Representing MSF before local medical authorities and keeping regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthening the impact of the medical intervention and supporting advocacy actions to raise humanitarian
- Essential, degree in medicine or other paramedical studies,
- Preference for doctor due to technicality of the activities, but nurse profiles will also be considered.
- Degree in Public Health would be an asset.
- Essential, working experience of at least two years in relevant jobs and previous humanitarian experience in MSF or other NGOs in developing countries
- Team management experience
- Experience in surgical mission is a plus
- Experienced in multi-disciplinary teams (Mental Health, patient centered approach) is a plus
Languages: English is essential. Arabic is an asset
Terms of employment:
- Reports to: Reports to (Hierarchical): Head of Mission
- Reports to (Functional): Medical technical referent in the Cell at HQ/ Medical Department
Location: Jerusalem, Palestine
Possibility for family position
Department: OCP Operations Department
Type: Field, level14
Duration: 12 months with possibility to extend (till 24 months)
Starting date : As soon as possible
Only selected candidates will be contacted.