Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychologist
Location: Sokoto (with requirements to travel to different project locations)
Employment Type: Full-time
Contract Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the position
- The staff health counsellor provides psychosocial and mental health support to national staff and in case of incidents to international staff. You receive technical support and clinical supervisor from the Staff Health Unit Amsterdam.
- Provision of psychosocial and mental health support for national staff both in groups and individually.
- Identification and assessment of stress related issues and mental health (exposures to traumatic events, vicarious trauma, burnouts, compassionate fatigue, and personal factors), improving staff coping mechanisms.
- Referral/ case manage clients in need of psychiatric support.
- Organization of psycho-education and self-help group session for the national staff.
- Liaise and build local professional network of mental health professional.
- Management of clear boundaries between individual support and operations.
- Design psycho-education material for national staff.
- Data monitoring and reporting.
- Keep strict confidentiality.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
Support Nigeria mission (i.e. Benue, Zamfara, Gummi and Sokoto Projects):
- Your role focuses on the staff and no role/ activities in the mental health programs for the MSF beneficiaries.
- Work in collaboration with the MTLs at the project level/ medical coordination to support staff health, ensuring positive mental health for project staff to enhance productivity.
- Promote healthy behaviors and prevention of diseases among staff through share of information.
- Provide training and information to staff on psychological well-being and stress management.
- Provide support during a crisis, carry out an assessment and diagnostic tests, give individual, family and group psychotherapy.
- Support projects in the management of poor performance among project staff.
- May support the project team during conflict.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Essential: Licensed Clinical Psychologist.
- Desirable: Master’s Clinical Psychology, Clinical Social Work.
- Essential: 2 years experience minimum as a clinical Psychologist.
- Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries.
- Clinical experience in health setting, cognitive behavioral treatment experience, previous staff health counselling experience. Experience supporting people exposed to vicarious trauma.
- English essential, Hausa is desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet).
- Proven ability to manage organizational boundaries, organizational psychology background.
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Stress Management.
Application Closing Date
22nd March, 2023 (5:00 PM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Candidates should send their Cover Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of only necessary credentials as one document with telephone contact details (daytime) to: [email protected] using “Psychologist” as the subject of the mail.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- NO Transportation and NO per diems will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization