Are you a qualified doctor with humanitarian work experience, and do you have leadership skills? Do you want to ensure that people on the move receive proper health care? Do you want to represent our medical mission and respond to evolving healthcare needs together with our team? Then we are looking for you!
*Important: this position can be filled by someone who has the legal right to live and work in Greece (EU nationals or Visa holders). You will be hired on either a Greek or a Dutch contract.
WHERE WILL YOU WORK?
Boat Refugee Foundation provides medical and psychological aid and stands up for the rights of people who are on the move. Where systems become inhuman and compassion is lost, we take action. Since 2015, we have been working in various locations at the borders of Europe.
Currently, we are active in the Mavrovouni camp on Lesvos, where around 1,000 people are living under undignified conditions. With our medical mission, we provide primary care and acute medical assistance. As the only organization operating inside the camp in the evenings and during the weekends, our emergency assistance is meeting an urgent need.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
As Medical Coordinator you ensure that people on the move receive high quality medical assistance. You do not do this alone, but together with a medical team of volunteer doctors, nurses and psychologists who work from our mobile medical clinic. The medical team is supported by interpreters, who are usually members of the asylum seeker community and are staying in the camp itself. You will work closely with the MHPSS Coordinator and the Volunteer Coordinator. You will be supervised by the Area Manager.
These are your responsibilities:
- You monitor the medical activities and ensure the quality of our care.
- You do this by monitoring the follow-up of patients, keeping our medical protocols up to date and ensuring a regular and adequate supply of medicines.
- You are responsible for referring patients to other actors when necessary.
- You are the contact point for the medical volunteers; you guide and train them.
- You represent the medical mission in internal and external matters and coordinate the cooperation with other medical actors. We find it important that you propagate our vision and values here as well and thus contribute to the positive image of our foundation.
- You register and collect data for various (internal) purposes and are able to further develop our current data collection tools.
- You coordinate quality evaluations and present the results.
- And last but not least, based on everything you see, hear and measure, you write plans to improve our medical mission and healthcare in the camp.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- You have a medical degree, preferably a Master in Public Health.
- You have at least 2 years of relevant clinical work experience, of which 1 to 2 years in a developing country or underdeveloped area with an NGO.
- You have experience as a manager in a foreign programme, for example in primary health care or maternal and child health.
- You have natural leadership skills and a good sense of what your team needs.
- You have knowledge of people and a good view on qualities and pitfalls. You are able to empower people. You can work together with a broad spectrum of people.
- You are decisive and energetic and therefore able to make independent medical decisions.
- You are extremely flexible and stress-resistant, you know how to get things done, always see opportunities and act in a solution-oriented manner.
- You want to contribute to the sustainability and continuity of our programme.
- You have experience in developing tools to monitor and evaluate the effects of a programme or activity.
- You have a good command of the English language, both verbally and in writing, and you are an excellent writer and presenter. In addition, speaking Greek, Farsi, Arabic and/or French is a plus.
WHAT ELSE DO WE EXPECT FROM YOU?
- You are available for at least nine months, starting in the last week of July, 2023.
- You are in possession of an EU driving licence B.
- It is an advantage if you have previously done volunteer work for Boat Refugee Foundation
WHAT DO WE OFFER YOU?
As Medical Coordinator you will receive a modest salary, in line with the character and aims of our organization, based on a 40-hour working week. In addition, your relocation expenses (up to a maximum of 500 Euros) will be reimbursed and you will receive a contribution towards the cost of your stay. You will rent your own accommodation. Of course we will help you find it.
Initially, you will receive a temporary contract for nine months. An extension after this period is possible.
How to apply
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Do you fit the profile above and are you able to go to Lesvos as of (end of) July 2023? Please send us your CV and motivation letter and/or video (in English) at [email protected]
You can apply until June 11, 2023. The first interviews will take place soon after the closing date.
For more information about this vacancy, please send an e-mail to [email protected].