Synapse Services is the largest provider of Mental Healthcare Service in West Africa. We provide patient centred care in a calm and serene environment with a robust mixture of Local and Internationally trained professionals.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Description Of Duties
Under the general supervision of the Consultant Psychiatrist and Medical Director, the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Actively participate in providing excellent holistic patient-centered care including assessment, treatment, ward rounds, MDT [Multi-Disciplinary Teams] and counselling to all patients and clients in line with international best practices.
- Establish and maintain rapport, physician relationships and ensure a safe and conducive environment for comprehensive clinical assessment and treatments for optimal patient care in compliance with standard clinical procedures and protocols, and healthcare regulations.
- Carry out a physical examination on all patients before admission according to the Olive Prime Policy
- Update clinical notes, and ensure complete and accurate documentation of all patients’ diagnosis and management in the Electronic Medical Records in line with the ICD system while protecting patients’ privacy and confidentiality.
- Participate in collecting critical clinical data for research, conducting patient satisfaction surveys, and Quality-of-Care Assessments, and providing recommendations on how to sustain continuous improvement in services delivery in the organization’s treatment centers.
- Provide primary and preventive healthcare by interpreting results of investigations and offering appropriate psychoeducation, medical advice and support to clients, patients and relatives which include the use of leaflets, factsheet and brochures to explain diagnosis, medications, side effects and appropriate responses and who to contact for urgent help whenever necessary.
- Respond promptly to the request of all clinical staff (Consultants, other doctors and nurses) to review outpatients and inpatients, and to advise or start any appropriate treatment as indicated which may include cannulation, commencing intravenous [IV] infusions, administration of IV drugs, etc.
- Write discharge summaries on all patients discharged from Olive Prime treatment centers within 24 hours of discharge; ensure every patient discharged from Olive Prime sees a doctor for follow up within 7 days post discharge; carry out home visits to review patients; and run regular follow up clinics and encourage patient attendance.
- Carry out on-call duties; and leads a clinical team to pick up patients from the community for admission.
- Participate in the recruitment, training and mentoring of junior healthcare professionals and assistants.
- Attend and participate in weekly Continuous Medical Education (CME) sessions at the hospital, relevant conferences and events, and stay up-to-date with advances in evidence-based medical practice, mental health and substance use services.
- Promote a culture of ethical behavior and integrity in accordance with the Organization’s Code of Ethical Principles and Conduct in order to ensure respect, responsibility, accountability, and compliance for the highest standards of patient care, speedy and full recovery of clients and patients under care.
- Identify, establish, and maintain partnerships with mental health professionals, facilities, institutions, schools, non-governmental organizations, faith-based organizations, and the media among others involved in the mental health space to promote efficiency, effectiveness and development of the Organization.
- Participate in strategic planning and budget preparations, and working closely with the admin leads to ensure that the facility stays within its budgetary constraints by optimizing operational costs.
- Maintain the highest level of professionalism, leadership and compassion in your practice at times towards promoting the good reputation of the organization.
- Demonstrates a full commitment to the mission and values of the Organization by aligning with the strategic direction and vision of the Organization.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Line Manager is essential
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
- Evidence of completion of NYSC /Exemption.
- Up-to-date MDCN license.
- Post-Graduation qualifications including Master’s programs are desirable.
- Strong interest in mental health and addictions is a prerequisite for this role.
Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated ability to provide professional and personalized clinical mental health services delivery requiring trust, confidentiality, resourcefulness, initiative, highly developed judgment and interpersonal skills to deal with difficult situations and sensitive issues, in order to establish and maintain effective treatment relationships with people of different professional levels, discipline, social, religious and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Electronic Medical Records as well as Social Media Applications including Zoom would be an asset.
- Experience in entrepreneurship in non-clinical settings that demonstrates exposure to other industries is desirable.
- As part of our career development plans, the successful candidate who has engaged in self-directed learning with outstanding performance will be sponsored to internal training programs.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.