The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
Location: Owo, Ondo
Job Type: Full Time
Mission and Main Activities
- To supervise the overall management and ensure the smooth running of medical activities, including the supervision of nurses, Pharmacists, Research Assistants, in order to ensure 24/7 good quality care of patients admitted in the Infection Control and Research Centre (ICRC), in collaboration with the doctors in the FMCO and respecting the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and ALIMA protocols & guidelines.
Responsibility / Main Activities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills in diagnoses, prevention and treatment of Lassa fever. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, and prescribe the necessary treatment while respecting Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) guidelines and ALIMA protocols in designated duty station
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, ensure patients/relatives have clear understanding of the available treatment options and their eventual outcomes.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized patients, through daily visits, consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment while respecting ALIMA protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Ensure proper documentation in the patient file including the particularly the final diagnostic at discharge that will be recorded in praxis.
- Attend ongoing training of the medical/Research multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all ALIMA medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Assists or Performs Emergency Obstetric surgeries (MVA, C-section, Exploratory Laparotomy etc.) under supervision of the OBGYN and in accordance with MSF protocols. Prepares the operative notes after each intervention.
- As assigned in the roster, conduct staff health clinics (staff and dependents), in accordance with ALIMA Nigerian staff health policy while respecting ALIMA treatment guidelines.
- Understand and follow up completed, ongoing and upcoming research projects within ALIMA in Owo.
- Interact regularly and develop good working relationship with the Consultants and other doctors of the MOH, the Head nurse, and other staff working in the ICRC as well as key members of the Ondo State Ministry of Health, especially the State DSNO.
- Implementation of prevention measures against abuse of power, gender-based and sexual violence:
- Ensures that his/her team, partners and community members are aware of ALIMA’s policy and have access to information (complaint escalation mechanism, focal point…).
- Facilitates the organization of training and awareness sessions.
- Implements standards related to the prevention of abuse of power, gender-based violence and sexual violence.
- Ensures that team members and partners involved in the project (Ministry of Health, national partners, etc.) follow training and awareness sessions and apply the rules for preventing abuse.
- Contributes to creating and maintaining a nurturing and protective environment for his/her team, community members and project partners.
Experience and Skills
- Essential Degree in Medicine (Doctor) is mandatory
- Diploma in Tropical medicine, Infectious Diseases and Clinical research will be an asset
- Essential 2 years’ experience in tropical medicine, Experience in case management of Infectious Diseases, especially Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers, and use of PPEs is an added advantage
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Essential 5 years experience in relevant jobs, in ALIMA or other Medical NGO’s in developing countries.
- Have practice experience in the management of Lassa fever
- Have experience of worked in difficult/insecurity area
- Strategic vision
- People Management
- Teamwork, flexible
- Knowledge of management of pharmacy
- Training skills
- Well-organized and good negotiation and communication skill
- Interest in and commitment to ALIMA’s activities, enthusiasm to represent the organization to others, to travel to different regions of Nigeria
- Languages: Fluency in English, (written and spoken) is mandatory and the Local language is an added advantage
Application Closing Date
Friday, 9th June, 2023 at 5pm.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application containing a Cover letter, CV, required certificates and three references, all in PDF to: [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the mail.