The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in the following main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Maternal, Child and reproductive Health, Urban Health and Child and environmental health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is seeking a molecular biologist with bioinformatics or statistics skills in order to obtain assistance in the analysis and interpretation of whole exome sequencing results in vulvar cancer samples. The experience in R software is highly desirable.
The research fellow’s main tasks are to assist with analysis of the data generated by whole exome sequencing, as well as to provide support in understanding the molecular mechanisms that underlie tumorigenesis of vulvar cancer. The desired skills include the ability to analyze data using R software (MAFtools package), as well as to interpret the generated results and provide graphical representation of the key results. The candidate will be in constant communication with gynecological oncologist and pathologist leading the project. The candidate will generate the result output files and will collaborate in drafting of the manuscript, keeping current with relevant scientific or medical journals. The candidate may assist with activities such as writing new grant research proposals.
Training and experience /Qualifications
Higher education and experience in data analysis in molecular biology or oncology.
- Bioinformatics data management.
- Knowledge of specific programs: R software (package MAF tools), Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Interest or background in Molecular Biology/Oncology.
- Management of study databases.
- Biostatistical analysis of datasets using R software (MAF tools).
- Completion of research tasks focused on the molecular mechanisms involved in vulvar cancer.
- Assistance in writing Results/Discussion section/s in scientific papers and grant proposals.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post but may evolve at any time in the future as duties and responsibilities change and/or develop providing there is appropriate consultation with the post-holder.
This job description is not a definitive or exhaustive list of responsibilities but identifies the key responsibilities and tasks of the post holder. The specific objectives of the post holder will be subject to review as part of the individual professional assessment process .
- A dedicated worker that has experience in Medical/Biological science.
- Have experience in biostatistics, particularly in R software.
- Team player.
- Good communication skills with work colleagues.
The post holder will adhere to ISGlobal principles contained in People management policy, including Equity, diversity and health safety. The post holder will respect, and accountable to ensure ISGlobal policies and procedures.
- Spanish, English
- Duration: 6 months
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Contract:full time
- Salary Range: Compensation for this position will be based on the applicant’s experience and qualifications. Based on the internal scales.
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: MRF_Feb23, attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 30/03/2022.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.