Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State, and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nursing Team Supervisor (IPD)
Location: Gummi Emergency Nutrition Response, Zamfara
Employment Type: Definite contract (6 months with the possibility of extension)
Main objective and responsibility
- Plan, organize, and evaluate the activities concerning his/her field of action (IPD department – isolation and paediatric ward) and the team associated, according to MSF values, policies and protocols and universal health standards, in or-der to warrant the quality and continuity of the health care and the development of the plan of action.
- Carry out the functions and tasks associated to his/her specialty, i.e. perform as a nurse, whenever required or needed, in order to optimize the resources, contributing with his/her knowledge and experience.
- Implement all the protocols and hygiene procedures, and supervise his/her team follow the same standards, in order to warrant the quality of the care and service in his/her specialty.
- Organize and coordinate the activities of his/her team (week’s schedule, annual leave, absences, etc.), evaluate their performance and define and ensure the needs for training of staff, in order to ensure the coverage of the human resources needs and maintain high standards of quality.
- Carry out and/or supervise the medicines and medical equipment management (drugs orders, follow-up of the stock, storage conditions, inventories, follow-up of expired drugs and their destruction, drugs consumption, bio-medical equipment maintenance, etc.) in his/her department, in order to satisfy the needs of material with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Carry out and/or supervise the sterilization activities and ensure infection control measures are in place and followed.
- Carry-out and/or coordinate administrative (exit-paper, transfer-paper, etc.), information and data collection (patient files, forms, statistics, etc.) tasks, and elaborate regular reporting, in order to have updated and reliable information about the day-to-day activity in the project, output/ outcome and support decision-taking.
- Give feedback/ reports to Nursing Activity Manager and to Medical Referent when needed.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
Under the NAM Leadership the IPD Nursing Team supervisor is directly supervising and overseeing all the IPD Nursing Activities, this in-cludes isolation and general paediatric wards. The NTS does not directly have financial responsibilities, Daily workers needs and their payment or any other payment process), all these are NAM/IPD responsibilities:
- Under NAM/IPD leadership and in close cooperation, NTS is responsible for the day-to-day activities of the isolation and general paediatric wards of Gummi general hospital. Under leadership of the line manager and in close collabo-ration, the nursing team supervisor is responsible for the quality nursing care through mentorship, on Job supervi-sion/trainings.
- Prepares, provides and ensure all necessary stationaries and all related paper work are available in the inpatient de-partments (Registers, nursing notes, prescription, lab request forms) and among other, many forms needed.
- Together with Watsan and IPC supervisor ensures IPC measures fully implemented in all departments (isolation, pae-diatric wards): Cleanliness, hand washing points, hand sanitizers etc.
- Ensures clean water is available for patient and staff.
- Together with the HP supervisor, ensure health message delivered on the waiting areas and addressing Health issues in line with main morbidities in the Health Facility.
- Ensures good patient flow to allow reducing waiting time and unnecessary steps, the NTS should, Under the NAM leadership organize the departments to maximize efficient use of resources.
- The NTS is technically supporting the team on the ground while major administrative tasks (daily worker request and signature on payment sheet for all incentive staff) go to the NAM who is the main manager.
- Implement all MSF protocols, guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) that guide the day-to-day activities.
- Ensure care to the Patient (admissions, patient care consultation and drug provision) are timely administered, to avoid delays.
- Ensure quality dressing following the wound care protocol
- Ensure complementary requests by the doctor, correctly applied in the desired period.
- Put in place and maintain hygiene rules and universal precautions to staff involved inpatient care.
- Ensure Medical staff under him/her know the PEP protocol (what to do in case of accidental exposure).
- Ensure accurate documentation, reporting accurately done on patient’s folders, stock and all inventory registers.
- Ensure the handing over report effectively carried out, with all duty staff informed of up-to-date changes on patient management.
- Ensure and Plan the provision of quality, safe, confidential nursing care with involvement of the caretakers, to all patients, in strict adherence to medical ethics , msf principal and values
- Make sure Nurses Take vital signs and score the PEWs regularly and frequently, depending on patient’s condition and take action when detect any danger signs
- Ensure the Provision of medical and nutritional care as prescribed, with proper documentation on nursing notes, charts, prescription sheets, while involving and explaining to the care takers, in accordance to MSF protocols
- Organize working environment, with correct supplies and equipment available
- Check all the oxygen concentrators at the beginning of each shift, reporting mulfunction,and usage according to BIO MED guidelines
- Support nursing team to Identify children who are eligible for vaccination and refer as appropriate
- Observe and follow the 5 moments of Hand Hygiene and appropriate glove use, plus safe waste disposal (used sy-ringes, needles, organic) as per IPC guidelines.
- Ensure the Cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces of trays/trolleys /equipment, materials before caring out procedures.
- Ensure open vials policy is restrict followed in her/his working department.
Data Management and Reporting:
- Implement all data collection paper work in collaboration with the Epid- Department and the Nursing Activity Manager.
- Checking that data collection forms are available and filled correctly (registers, forms, tally sheets, referral sheets and morbidity forms, etc.)
- Compiling daily, weekly and monthly statistics for the IPD activities and submit to epid-department and NAM-respectively, as at when expected.
- Draft the Monthly Medical Report for the activities she/he is supervising and submit to the Line manager.
- Give feedback to the nursing team, regarding progress in line with project-desired indicators, and discuss other possi-ble measures for improvement.
Pharmacy Management / Accountability:
- The NTS is overall responsible for the drugs and Medical items stored in the IPD department, therefor she/he should ensure there is enough stock to run the wards, ensure good consumption tracking and submission to the central pharmacy with due respect to timing and ordering procedures.
- Leads and deeply involved in the weekly inventories, double check consumptions and justify discrepancies.
- Adheres to the project supply system and reinforce its implementation; Prepare Medical orders for the activity according to stock and consumption, submit to the line manager for further process.
- Analyse consumption pattern and link them with morbidities, gives feedback to the team and provide necessary information to the pharmacy supervisor in order to adjust quantity of medical item to the need.
- Check emergency boxes in the wards and ensure items used timely replaced.
- Ensure rational use of drugs and strict adherence to protocols.
- Ensure daily consumption is recorded, prescription well filled, stored and taken to the Hospital pharmacy.
- Checks medical prescriptions carried out (treatment administration, surveillance of medical parameters, etc.)
- Supervises, in cooperation with the pharmacy supervisor, the management of the pharmacy, ensuring reception and storage of orders, preparing new orders when required, supervising expiration items and consumption patterns, in order to ensure, a rationale use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated and above minimum safety point.
HR Management and development:
- As a direct supervisor of the nursing team , the NTS has the duty to Know job descriptions of all staff working in the IPD department (nurses, CHEW, etc.) and checking that each individual knows and understands his/her own job and work accordingly. The nursing team supervisor can identify the need of daily workers; follows on daily basis the work of incentivized staff and report to the NAM IPD the main responsible. The NAM makes all signatures of the departments.
- Leads staff under his/her supervision toward MSF objectives, promote medical ethics and patient safety.
- Draft Rosters timely of all personnel under his/her supervision and submitting to his/her line manager for perusal.
- Identify training needs and organizes sessions within his/her team or within the general framework of personnel development.
- Draft objectives of each staff member under her/his supervision and conduct job appraisals of all staff in close collaboration with the line manager.
- Participates in the orientation of new personnel.
- Organizes regular team meetings to encourage the exchange of information and maintain efficient communication within the team.
- Keeps the team dynamic and promote good working atmosphere.
- Participe to mortality analysis and collect of medical incidents to report to the Focal point (MAM)
- Reports to the line manager (NAM) any work related problem/ incident identified within the team.
- Organize and conduct regular in service/on the job training for the nursing staff and CHEWS.
- NTS should attend to patient when the occasion arises as well as covering staff absence when decided by the line manager.
- Checking that all information is passed on during transfers/referral to the IPD or other health structures in order to ensure the continuity of health care. Implement the referral system between ATFC and ITFC in close collaboration with the line manager and hospital relevant supervisor.
- Participating in supervisors’ meetings to facilitate the exchange of information and “inter-phase” collaborations.
- Ensure respectful relationship and communication with the care givers/patients all the team members.
- Carry out other relevant/delegated duties as may be required or assigned by his/her supervisor.
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Education: Degree in Nursing (Essential)
- Experience: Essential 2 years of previous experience Having worked in MSF or other NGO has and in developing countries is desirable.
- Languages: Essential mission language. Desirable local language (Hausa)
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet).
- Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles, Stress Management
Application Closing Date
18th May, 2023 (5:00pm).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Submit their CV, Cover Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of only necessary Credentials as one document with telephone contact details (daytime) to: [email protected] using “NURSING TEAM SUPERVISOR” as the subject of the mail.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- No Transportation and/or Allowance will be provided during the recruitment process.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.