Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor (IPD / ITFC)
Location: Gummi Emergency Nutrition Response Project, Zamfara
Employment Type: Definite contract (6 months with the possibility of extension)
Main objective and responsibility
- Provide medical care to inpatient and/or outpatient beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized IDP patients, through daily visits, consultations and examinations, requesting lab tests, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and use of equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary..
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Make the medical visits of the service / Medical consultations.
- Participate in medical meetings and all Mortality reviews.
- Regularly analyses patient files : find out mistake made and correct with feedback, ensure treatment prescribed is correctly executed
- Correctly fills in forms such as laboratory request, blood transfusion, treatment form, etc.
- Always give feedback to the requester and the progress of the work to the line manager.
- Communicate the information to the appropriate person.
- Plan his weekly activities and submit it to the supervisor.
- Adhere to defined tasks as outlined in weekly/monthly activities.
- Apply knowledge and skills to diagnose and treat patients.
- Objectively manage specific treatments: oxygen therapy – adrenaline treatments – use of the nebulizer – control saturation and react to their fluctuation.
- Apply MSF protocols / Use knowledge, skills and MSF protocols to diagnose and treat patients in consultation and wards.
- Make follow-up visits to patients and adjust management according to the protocols and the patient’s current clinical conditions or the results of laboratory examinations.
- Keep a close eye on what other members of the medical team are doing;
- Apply objectively, knowledge and skills in the management of patients.
- Discuss with colleagues the challenges/errors discovered regarding the activities in each care unit of IPD (triage, HDU, ITFC, Isolation, General Paediatric).
- Prepare and ensure presentation for all the team on specific topics to maintain capacity team
- Contribute, through his behaviour and his advice/advice, to maintaining a calm working atmosphere and teamwork
- Identify challenges related to daily activities.
- Provide clear explanations of the illness and provide initial psychological support to patients and/or caregivers in need.
- Report medical incidents.
- Establish a link with the psychosocial and mental health team, etc.
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Education: Medical Doctor Degree. Desirable Diploma in Tropical Medicine.
- Experience: 2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training). Desirable in tropical medicine, Paediatric IPD, Severe acute malnutrition management or post-registration experience in Public Health, OB/GYN, paediatrics, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery.
- Languages: Mission language essential. Local language desirable.
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel).
- People Management, Commitment, Flexibility, Results and Teamwork.
Application Closing Date
18th May, 2023 (5:00pm).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Submit their CV, Cover Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of only necessary Credentials as one document with telephone contact details (daytime) to: [email protected] using “MEDICAL DOCTOR” as the subject of the mail.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- No Transportation and/or Allowance will be provided during the recruitment process.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.