Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Locations: Geidam, Yunusari, Yusufari and Nangere – Yobe
Employment Type: Full-time
Slot: 11 Openings
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Nutrition Assistant will be responsible for planning and implementation of nutrition activities in COOPI’s food security and nutrition operation area in Yobe focusing on IDPs and vulnerable host communities.
- They will ensure comprehensive mobilisation of the community for nutrition screening of children under five, forming and monitoring care support groups and IYCF training.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Nutrition Officer and in collaboration with the Nutrition Coordinator, Deputy Project Manager and other collaborators of the projects and of the Base, they will:
- Perform screening of the nutritional status of children under five in their designated locations and refer SAM cases to health/CMAM centres
- Coordinate and collaborate with community mobilisers’ team leaders and lead mothers of care groups in implementing follow-up of referred SAM cases
- Follow up with the new admission of malnourished children
- Ensure liaison with existing community structures, (groups and individuals, women groups, religious leaders where possible.
- Collect and track weekly data at community level, including the results of MUAC screening during house-to-house visits, in accordance with COOPI standard nutrition statistical reporting forms
- Submit weekly nutrition and health report to the Nutrition Officer for onward sharing with the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Carry out the day-to-day Nutrition activities
- Provide training on nutrition (IYCF) and hygiene practices
- Follow referrals of all severely malnourished children to the stabilization center
- Keep defaulter tracing for malnourished children
- Report any problems in a timely manner to the Nutrition Officer or the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Participate in the field work of the nutrition survey (impact assessment)
- Conduct cooking demonstrations
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and assigned by his/her supervisor.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Nutrition and Health qualifications (Diploma / Certificate)
- 1 – 2 years relevant work experience.
- Share the humanitarian mission of the organization
- Good communication skills
- Ability to communicate with vulnerable populations
- Proven experience in related field
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Accuracy and promptness in performing duties
- English writing and speaking skill.
Desired Competencies / Skills:
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and culturally sensitive.
- Previous experience in similar roles in a humanitarian set up
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa/Kanuri).
Application Closing Date
10th April, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.