Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international medical humanitarian association, created in 1971, which provides assistance to populations whose lives are threatened as a result of armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters or lack of access to care. Today, MSF is present in more than 60 countries around the world.
As part of a replacement, we are looking for a Pharmacist for the Online Pharmacy incubator.
In close collaboration with the Project Leader, manage the pharmaceutical components and contribute to the general achievement of an incubator project for a non-profit international online pharmacy.
In many countries where MSF intervenes, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa, there is a lack of availability of quality medicines at affordable prices. The shortages affect all categories of patients, including the patients suffering from non-transmittable diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular or mental health diseases, as in the last decades, the non-communicable diseases have taken a larger share of the disease burden in the low and middle-income countries.
In many cases, the availability of diagnostics tests and of follow-up by a medical doctor (or a physician assistant with prescribing capacities) is better than the availability of quality drugs at affordable prices. Because of this difference, many patients simply don’t have access to the medicines they are prescribed, while other individual patients with the required financial capacities purchase their medicines abroad, mainly when traveling or by using other travelers as carriers.
A theoretical feasibility study – still on-going for the host country jurisdiction and medicine supplier aspects – has been carried on and identified that a non-profit international online pharmacy could be a response to address partially this issue and be a tool for advocacy on the topic. The OCP general management decided to solicit a TIC incubator funding in view to prepare for a proof of concept.
As the main contributor:
- Define the most relevant therapeutic fields and pharmaceutical products to prioritize and identify the transportation and importation restrictions.
- Complete the review of the already existing African online pharmacies and medicine suppliers and identify the more interesting ones for a potential partnership based on capacities, quality and prices criteria.
- Set-up a medicine list to be included in a pilot phase and the corresponding definition of prices and conditions for sales and delivery and liaise with the potential partners to evaluate the quality assurance schemes of their supply and processes.
- Develop new dispensing, supply, quality assurance, regulatory, pharmacovigilance, data protection, fraud management and reporting processes adapted to an online pharmacy.
- Organize visits to target countries and other partner countries as necessary.
As a co-contributor, focusing on the pharmaceutical affairs component of the following topics:
- Identification of an appropriate country jurisdiction to host the online pharmacy.
- Setting-up of partnership agreements with medicine suppliers.
- Identification of potential partners for Ecommerce platforms and medicine transportation, based on capacities, quality and prices, and setting-up of partnership agreements with the selected organizations.
- Define the specifications of a relevant Ecommerce platform for the digital agency in charge of developing the website.
- Develop the ownership of the concept within the MSF movement, coordinate with other Access Initiatives and secure a partnership with other OCs and MSF regional associations.
- Establish partnerships in 1 or 2 target country governments, and with patient’s associations in the target countries.
- Setting-up of a business case and of funding proposals for a proof a concept.
- Develop and implement a communication and advocacy strategy in favor of funding the access to medicines by governments, international organizations and health insurance schemes, based on the data provided by the online pharmacy activity.
- Pharmaceutical degree.
- At least 4 years of experience in the field of pharmaceutical products management or access to medicines in low and middle-income countries.
- Several years of working experience in relation to pharmaceutical quality, regulation, supply or sales.
- Good knowledge of MSF pharmaceutical supply mechanisms.
- MSF experience is essential.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
Languages: English and French fluency (level B2).
Status: CDD – full time 6 months with potential extension.
Location: Paris HQ or Mérignac at MSF Logistique. Another MSF office can be considered if relevant to the project.
Salarw conditions: 48.5K€ gross per year based on 13 months. 11€ Luncheon voucher, 60% care of MSF. 100% Mutual health insurance. 50% public transportation expenses. 22 days RWD per year.
Expected starting date: August 2023.
Our wish is to promote inclusion and diversity. We also wish to improve the representation of people with disabilities in our workforce.
How to apply
until 20 June 2023 included
Only candidates whose applications have been selected will be contacted