Regional Mental Health Advisor, Asia
Fixed term contract for 6 months/Full-Time (maternity cover)
The Mental Health Director, CBM Global
During a period of 6 months, the position holder will maintain tasks of the permanent Regional MH Advisor, focusing on specific priority areas of work (highlighted below).
Reporting to the Mental Health Director, the position holder is part of the CMH Technical Area’s Core Team that leads on areas of technical specialism for the organisation globally. The focus is on regional work in Asia, but the advisor is also able to support more strategic operational direction, including setting and maintaining of quality in programme implementation and advocacy.
Knowledge and experience in mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) in humanitarian emergencies is also a part of the Regional Advisor’s role, and is a key deliverable for this time period of maternity cover.
The core purpose of the role is to support local partners, including where appropriate, through advisors at country level (including consultants) with the information and capacity they need to deliver high quality programming.
This role is guided by the application of CBM Global standards and organisational strategy into the programme work of CBM Global, primarily in our core countries in Asia. Strategic direction is defined by the Community Mental Health Plan/Position Papers etc, themselves based on the Federation Strategy.
Based: We welcome applications from those who have the right to work and live in the Philippines, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Nepal, and Bangladesh.
Hours: Full-time (Maternity Cover)
Salary range: The salary offered will be competitive, dependent on skills and experience, as well as country of location. We offer a local contract
Responsibilities and Duties
The job holder is responsible for supporting CBM Global Community Mental Health (CMH) work with the following specific responsibilities for our programme in priority countries in Asia, namely Indonesia, The Philippines, Lao, Nepal and Bangladesh. In addition, country-specific or regional/global projects may arise elsewhere.
Priorities for 6-month maternity cover period:
- Support CBM Global Country Offices in delivery, monitoring, evaluation and continued refinement of programmes in alignment with the Country Strategic Plan, CBM Global CMH Plan, according to CBM Global’s operating model
- Support and where appropriate supervise the work of country CMH Country Focal Points Recruit and manage consultants as required to fulfil specific assignments (there is a long-term consultant acting as advisor in Laos).
- Deliver on external advisory contracts currently held with WHO, specifically in development of training for inclusive MHPSS (IASC Guidelines) and delivery of a major DRR and MHPSS training (in Nepal)
- Work with Humanitarian Action Team to support MHPSS in programmes, including by building capacity of Focal Points.
- Identify fundraising opportunities and develop, in 3-way collaboration with Member Associations and Country Offices, new programmes, both focused on mental health, and integrated into other sectoral work.
- Represent CBM Global in external forums, providing high quality technical advice, and targeted advocacy at appropriate events and through various groups
- Represent the Community Mental Health Area of Work in internal CBM Global forums and work processes
- Develop relationships and networks that support the organisation’s mandate and advocacy efforts
- Other relevant aspects of the work of the CMH Initiative as relevant and within the overall scope of advisory work
The position will be based in a CBM Global priority country in Asia (Bangladesh, Indonesia, Laos, Nepal, Philippines), in the Country Office on a local contract. Some travel to other countries may be required (not exceeding 25%).
Key outcomes expected from this role
- Work directly with partners, and supervise and maintain close working relationships with country level Advisors and Focal Points, and Country Offices in Asia, as well as other Regional Advisors
- Work with MAs, COs and partners to develop and successfully grow the CMH programme portfolio
- Develop training materials for Inclusive MHPSS (manage consultant) and field test
- Roll out internal (CBM Good Practice Guide) and external (IASC DRR and MHPSS) technical resources that can be used internally and externally to guide and improve programme quality and advocate for global mental health
- Support delivery of regional WHO DRR training in Nepal
CBM Global welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and people with lived experience of disability.
Education, Knowledge & Professional Experience
- Background qualification in mental health, psychiatry, psychology, psychosocial disability, or related field
- Background and experience in development cooperation and mental health, including in applying relevant tools and methods (project management, data and monitoring and evaluation, inclusive and participatory approaches etc)
- Understanding of disability-inclusive development, and its application to mental health
- Experience in humanitarian response and MHPSS desirable
- Minimum of 3 years working experience in a developing country, preferably in Asia
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary and multi-cultural teams
- Experience in operational research, and interpretation and application of evidence in practice. Writing reports and guidelines
- Experience in developing project proposals and successfully achieving funding for projects
- English (professional proficiency, spoken and written is essential)
- Asian languages in CBM Global priority countries (desirable)
- French or Spanish (desirable)
- Willingness to learn and use CBM Global project management tools, reporting, statistics formats, Global online etc
- Tools and resources specific to mental health work; QualityRights, mhGAP, scalable transdiagnostic psychological interventions, MHPSS in emergencies
- Good skills in MS Office, including making documents and presentations accessible. Ability to manage budgets in Excel
How to apply
More information about CBM Global Disability Inclusion can be found by visiting the CBM Global website: www.cbm-global.org
- CLICK HERE TO APPLY
- Prepare your CV in English please, as you will need to upload it into our ATS system.
- Download and complete the Application Form in English please, as you will need to upload it into our ATS system.
- No email applications will be considered. If you have any problems with the system, please redirect them to our email address [email protected] with the following format: Family Name First Name: Regional Mental Health Advisor, COUNTRY.