LVCT Health is an established Kenyan NGO that is renowned for the implementation of health programs at scale in Kenya. Through its vision of Empowered, Heathy and Resilient Communities, LVCT Health is a leader in designing and implementing innovative HIV prevention and treatment approaches, sexual and reproductive sexual, gender-based violence and mental health programs reaching the most vulnerable populations. The organization works with the government and other stakeholders at national and county levels. LVCT Health receives multi-year funding from various donors including PEPFAR CDC, USAID, UN agencies, NIHR and other foundations to carry out program and research activities in multiple sites across 34 counties in Kenya. It is known for research on HIV prevention, GBV, and community health systems. The research portfolio includes three large multi-year studies as part of multi-country consortia and leads several small studies and evaluations of existing programs.
The Research Director is a senior leadership position in LVCT Health, a member of the Core Management Team. The Research Director is responsible for leading LVCT Health’s Research Division to implement the research, learning and the institutional knowledge management strategy. The Research Director provides oversight for all research and evaluation design efforts; oversees the execution and quality of research studies and has responsibility for growing and expanding LVCT’s research and evaluation portfolio. S/he will play an active role in the development of learning products and the communication and use of research results internally and externally to inform national and international policy and practice. S/he will provide leadership for establishment and maintenance of an institutional knowledge management strategy The holder of the position will be expected to advance his/her research capacity including through conducting research, publishing articles and teaching. LVCT Health is exploring partnerships for capacity building, writing and teaching with global universities for the senior research team.
1. Leadership and Strategy (25%)
• Keeping abreast of national and international developments in the specific areas and informing LVCT Health Research programs appropriately. 2 • Develop LVCT’s research strategy, identifying opportunities and areas of growth. Ensure the strategy is aligned to the LVCT Health strategy and there is integration of research in LVCT Health programs • Contacting and establishing relationships with external influencers and forming and maintaining strategic partnerships for research for growth and visibility • Identifying research opportunities for LVCT Health internally and externally • Work with the research and communications team to develop and implement a research uptake strategy • Establishing, maintaining, and building partnerships with Kenyan MOH, counties, and relevant regional and global bodies • Participating in and providing technical support and leadership in relevant policy forums of priority for developing the research agenda • Managing research partnerships where LVCT Health is in consortia to ensure the organization’s interests are safeguarded including data, intellectual property, publications etc.
2. Research Implementation and Oversight (15%)
• Serve as PI for relevant research studies • Lead or participate in research design and protocol development • Overseeing all research and evaluation processes and products conducted by or produced by LVCT Health in collaboration with study PIs, Co-PIs, and the research manager. • Setting up and implementing systems to ensure quality through all research studies conducted in LVCT Health • Responsible for establishing systems that ensure adherence to the research protocols and research governance standards. • Ensuring monitoring and adherence to ethical and safeguarding guidelines in all LVCT Health research studies. • Developing and maintaining organizational processes for research study ethics (external and internal) • Ensure adherence to the Data Protection Act 2019 within all research conducted in LVCT Health
3. Resource Mobilization (25%)
• Lead in generating funding for the Research department from various sources including traditional and non-traditional sources. • Work with LVCT Health program managers and directors to identify potential research topics to inform resource mobilization efforts. • Form and nurture strategic partnerships and relationships with research funders to increase and diversify the sources of research funds • Develop and manage partnerships with the academic and research institutions to support and collaborate on research, learning, and dissemination • Lead in identification, development, and submission of research funding proposals
a) Staff management (10%)
• Line management of staff in the department • Capacity building and mentorship of direct reports and establishing systems for capacity building and mentorship of all staff in the department • Establish achievable targets and KPIs for all areas of activities and provide staff reviews/performance appraisals against these parameters. Ensure all staff in the department have KPIs and undergo regular reviews • Liaise with HR to address disciplinary issues in a timely manner in line with the labour laws and organizational procedures • Determine workload and HR /consultants needs in the research department considering specialization required for the different positions • Support teams in their roles as PI/Sub – PI and co-investigators • Nurture talent among research staff to grow the department
b) Financial & Project Management (10%)
• Working with the project management and finance teams to oversee research contracts and budgets –monitoring burn rates, adherence to donor rules, etc. • Working with the finance team to ensure proper budgeting for research studies • Ensuring accountability for resources under the department including finances, equipment, data, etc. • Liaising with donors and management on the grant management reallocation of funds when needed • Ensuring donor reports are submitted on time and reflect the true position of the grant • Reporting progress & direction of research to the LVCT Health management and board committee responsible for research and programs. • Development and tracking of research workplans
5. Learning products, knowledge management, and dissemination (15%)
• Data management – developing data management plans for the department, research projects and ensuring adherence to them • Contribute to the design and implementation of research uptake plans and processes to support research initiatives and the sharing of research findings and evidence • Identify strategic opportunities for presenting LVCT Health work through various forums and work with relevant managers to ensure adequate representation • Provide leadership for the development of research outputs including journal articles, reports, briefs etc. • Ensure LVCT Health representation of its research and evaluation presenting at local, regional, and global conferences. • Oversight for the internal pubcom (publications committee) review of abstracts and articles. • Work with communications to develop communication strategies for various studies utilizing innovative methods to communicate research outputs • Development and implementation of a Knowledge Management strategy for LVCT Health.
Required Qualification, and Experience
• Ph.D. in public health, global and international health, social sciences • 8 years of experience in public health, health systems, or social research with 3 years post Ph.D. experience. • Proven experience in program monitoring and evaluation, research design and supporting team learning processes. • Knowledge of mixed methods research with advanced knowledge in quantitative research methods and statistical analysis, epidemiology, health systems, or health economics. • Advanced proficiency in one or more statistical software packages • Strong computer skills, with familiarity in using SharePoint and Microsoft Office suite applications (particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). • Experience with Institutional Review Board (IRB) processes. • Demonstrated ability to publish journal articles and other communications documents to disseminate research findings
Skills and Attributes
• Excellent advocacy and engagement skills with evidence of engaging with Ministry of Health at national and county level as well as relevant global bodies to utilize results from research or programs to influence policy. • Demonstrated leadership and project management skills and the ability to support diverse cross-functional teams across geographies. • Ability to coach and mentor staff • Organized, detail-oriented, self-reliant and self-directed, good problem solver and strategic thinker, results-oriented, and team player. • Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, work well under pressure and meet deadlines. • Excellent presentation, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications and CV along with a cover letter expressing interest to [email protected]. The closing date is May 26th, 2023. However, candidates are encouraged to apply early as interviews may be held earlier if an ideal candidate is found. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
LVCT Health is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit our website www.lvcthealth.org for more information about the organization.
LVCT Health DOES NOT CHARGE any fee whatsoever in any part of the recruitment process.
LVCT Health is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, stigma and discrimination of individuals of various diversity, lack of integrity, and financial misconduct. LVCT Health expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.