For our office in Mozambique, the Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. International Assistance, is looking for a
Senior Programme Manager
1 Year Contract (with possible extension)
Organisation Description: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. Johanniter International Assistance (JIA) is the operational unit for humanitarian aid. The Federal Headquarters (HQ) is based in Berlin, Germany. Our Global Strategy 2027 focuses on three programmatic working areas: disaster response and preparedness, health and livelihoods, with climate change and gender equality as crosscutting issues. www.thejohanniter.org. Our commitment to a partnership approach and localisation agenda is based on mutual learning, respect and trust. We prioritise accountability, inclusivity and safeguarding in our work.
Johanniter started their activities in Mozambique in 2019 and intends to expand its program in Mozambique in the short to medium term. We are implementing projects to support the conflict-affected population in the province of Cabo Delgado. The projects focus on WASH, Nutrition, Health and Livelihoods including crosscutting themes like DRR and peacebuilding. Projects are implemented with local partners and through self-implementation. Funds are secured through German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, USAID and as well as a variety of other donor agencies.
In a Nutshell
- Be responsible for the development and management of Johanniter programme in Mozambique.
- Develop concept notes and proposals as well as work with our partners in implementing our programmes.
- Assess and evaluate the activities as well as writing proposals for different donors.
- Support the Head of Mission in fundraising activities, initiatives and representation.
- Need to have a good understanding of Emergency work and the geographical, social and political context of working in Mozambique.
What you will do:
Strategy and Programme Development
- Contribute to the development of the country strategy based on the global Johanniter strategy
- Identify new programmes through assessments that support the achievement of Johanniter’s strategic objectives in the country
- Assess and build partnerships with new national, international or local partner organisations
- Supervise and ensure effective and efficient implementation of all programme activities, review management systems and make appropriate improvements in the field.
- With the Head of Mission design, plan and coordinate all projects in course of humanitarian aid and development cooperation in line with beneficiary needs, national policies as well as Johanniter and donor programme objectives and policies and international standards.
- Support national partners in effective and efficient management of projects implementation in line with the project management cycle, program objectives, log frames, activities and indicators.
- Ensure effective planning, monitoring/supervision and evaluation of all project activities.
- Co-ordinate activities between the field sites, project partners and the country office
Programme Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure project-monitoring systems are in place and that reviews are undertaken periodically in conjunction with the team, the Head of Mission, project partners and relevant local stakeholders
- Monitor and maintain compliance with standard Johanniter procedures and guidelines
- Initiative regular project team meetings at all field sites to ensure successful project implementation
- Monitor the evolving humanitarian situation in the project regions and consider strategic and immediate responses
- Work closely with the PM&E Officer regarding evaluations of project activities
Human Resource and Team Management
- Create and maintain a culture of team spirit, ensure all staff is committed to strive for high performance contributing to the achievement of the strategic ambitions
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular bilaterals and performance reviews
- Recruit and hire national staff according to HR plans agreed by the Head of Mission
- Ensure both individual and team development and capacity building
Safety and Security
- Prioritize Safety and Integrity of all staff, monitor the security situation, and establish a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment
- Elaborate local Security Plans and ensure that valid guidelines are followed and adapted as required at all levels, that maximum preventive measures are taken and that the team is safe and well informed
- Review and update of the security and contingency plan in intervals agreed with the Head of Mission and guarantee that all guidelines are understood and respected
Representation and Communication
- Build and strengthen external relationships and represent Johanniter with donors, the host government, international and national organizations, and coordination fora
- Support Media and Press work in conjunction with the Head of Mission and HQ Communication Desk, contribute to preparation of regular reports, updates and articles for Johanniter Communication and Fundraising Department
- Recognize further needs and conduct assessments where needed for project proposals including partnership assessments
What you bring:
- BSc or MSc degree in a relevant field (preferably in Public Health or Food Security and Livelihoods, or alike)
- More than 5 years of experience in a humanitarian context, preferably in an international NGO
- Experience in capacity building
- Experience in working with international and national partners, donors, health & other authorities
- Experience in management of multi-sectoral projects/program
- Humanitarian-Development-Peace Nexus approach
- Experience in writing proposals and reports.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects in line with donor regulations
- Experience in conducting assessments
- Experience in working in an insecure context
- Previous working experience in Mozambique is an asset
- Strong management, project planning and organizational skills
- Strong analytical, written/oral communication and reporting skills
- Negotiation abilities and diplomatic skills
- Fluent in Portuguese and English required, German asset
What we offer:
Remuneration: 54,157 – 57,009 € /annum gross (Johanniter AVR DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and relevant previous experience).
Benefits: 13th cheque, Social security (lump sum 375€/month for expats not under German social security); rental contribution 300 €/month; international insurance package; 29 days annual leave; yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year); Cost of Living Allowance (930€/month). Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
How to apply
If this is what you are looking for, please submit your application via [email protected] (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date and Please indicate “Senior Programme Manager Mozambique” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity*.* Suitable candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
**Deadline for applications:**21 May 2023
**Interviews planned for:**01 – 02 June 2023
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
We may start shortlisting before the closing date.
Please note Johanniter requires background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.