LVCT Health is an established Kenyan NGO that utilizes research to inform policy reform, and advocacy and strengthen the equitable delivery of health services to vulnerable and marginalized populations. LVCT Health has a vibrant mental health program that is involved in providing technical support to the public sector and delivering psychosocial interventions. LVCT Health in partnership with the BRAC James P. Grant School of Public Health, the African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC), the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM), the Ministry of Health, Kiambu and Nairobi County Health Departments are implementing a participatory research project in Kenya and Bangladesh funded by the National Institutes for Health Research (NIHR), UK. This research will involve co-developing, piloting, and adapting holistic health systems support package for Community Health Volunteers (CHVs) in both countries with a specific focus on integrating psychosocial support to enhance the well-being and agency among CHVs. LVCT Health is scaling up a strategy to integrate mental interventions in all its programsacross the country. LVCT Health is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor, Mental Health who will provide leadership and technical guidance in generating evidence through research and taking up evidence in mental health programming and policy.
B. JOB PURPOSE
The Senior Technical Advisor will work with the study Principal Investigator, Mental Health teams within LVCT Health, the Ministry of Health, and County Health Departments to co- develop and implement mental health strategies in research and health programs. The holder of this position will be responsible for advancing the mental health strategies within LVCT Health. The Senior Technical Advisor will work with multi-disciplinary partners within LVCT Health, government, communications, policy, and research.
C. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Lead in the development and implementation of psychosocial support intervention(s) within LVCT Health. This will be in both research and health programs across the country, • Lead the design of mental health interventions to be tested in the research project based on literature reviews, • Lead development of training and implementation materials for providing psychosocial support to CHVs and other priority populations identified in LVCT Health’s strategy, • Coordinate training of county teams and key stakeholders on evidence- informed mental health interventions, • Contribute to designing studies and in the development of mental health research protocols, • Participate in implementing mental health research in collaboration with LVCT Health’s partners, • Manage the translation of mental health research into policy and programming.
• Responsible for delivery of LVCT Health’s agreed outputs within the research project as set out in the agreements, • Work closely with Project Managers within LVCT Health to coordinate partners involved in implementing mental health interventions, • Develop and manage effective relationships and communication pathways with other LVCT Health departments to leverage and strengthen the implementation of mental health research.
• Identify local stakeholders for engaging with to ensure the achievement of LVCT Health’s mental health agenda, • Coordinate regular mental health stakeholder workshops, • Prepare and share progress reports with stakeholders, especially MOH and county teams, • Identify opportunities for leveraging other projects within LVCT Health and among other implementing partners.
Monitoring Evaluation and Learning
• Contribute to the development of a theory of change for mental health research and programs, • Facilitate collaborative and innovative learning and knowledge exchange events to share learnings of mental health programming and research.
Documentation and Communication
• Writing policy briefs and other technical documents related to mental health strategies and policy, • Write blogs, abstracts, and peer-reviewed articles for sharing and disseminating LVCT Health’s work in mental health, • Share best practices in mental health and research findings to a variety of stakeholders locally and internationally, • Work with the communications team to promote the project on social media platforms and the LVCT Health website.
D. COMPETENCY CRITERIA
Qualifications, Training & Knowledge
• Undergraduate degree in Medicine / Nursing / Counselling psychology with a relevant post-graduate qualification • Understanding of health systems and mental health issues and services in Low and Middle-Income countries (LMICs) • Training and experience in research will be an added advantage
• At least 5 years’ experience in implementing mental health programs. Candidates will be required to demonstrate their experience in project management, designing interventions, training, and leading teams • Experience carrying out health systems research in Kenya will be an added advantage • Experience and competency in the analysis of qualitative data will be an added advantage.
Skills & Behaviours
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate at all levels in English and Swahili • Excellent organizational skills with the ability to achieve project or research objectives independent of day-to-day supervision • Ability to work as an integral, productive, and cooperative member of a multi- disciplinary team in a flexible and competent manner • Excellent financial management skills, with the ability to manage the project within allocated budgets, as well as plan and forecast budgets and activities
E. TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This will be an annual renewable year contract per the LVCT Health service scheme. The candidate will be on probation for the first three (3) months. Compensation for this position is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency. The successful candidate will be based in the Nairobi LVCT Health HQ Office.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications and CV along with a cover letter expressing interest and indicating Salary history and expectations to [email protected] . The position applied for and reference number should be clearly indicated on the subject line and cover letter; Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
The closing date for submitting application is May 12, 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
LVCT Health is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit our website www.lvcthealth.org for more information about the organization.
LVCT Health DOES NOT CHARGE any fee whatsoever in any part of the recruitment process.
LVCT Health is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, stigma and discrimination of individuals of various diversity, lack of integrity and financial misconduct. LVCT Health expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Failure to adhere will result in disciplinary action