Village Health Works (VHW) is a joint American-Burundian NGO based in Kigutu, Bururi Province whose mission is to provide quality, compassionate health care in a dignified environment while treating the root causes of illness, poverty, violence, and neglect in collaboration with those we serve. VHW’s approach integrates clinical services with education, food security, economic development, environmental protection, music and the arts.
Currently VHW engages in a wide array of clinical and community programs in a catchment area of over 200,000 people within the provinces of Rumonge and Bururi. Our clinic attends over 51,000 outpatient consultations per year. Our 60-bed low acuity inpatient wards provides basic adult and pediatric non-operative inpatient services including treatment of malnutrition, mental health, chronic and acute diseases and uncomplicated obstetrical deliveries. These services are administered by our staff of generalist physicians under the supervision of our Medical Director.
Village Health Works has embarked on an ambitious plan to expand our clinical care to provide comprehensive medical care including obstetrical and surgical services. To achieve this goal, VHW has constructed and is equipping a new 150-bed state of the art hospital with 4 operating rooms. Construction and installation of equipment will be completed in early 2023 with a projected clinical opening in the second half of2023. To provide excellent care we must expand the scope and skills of our clinical staff through training, teaching, hiring and through the development and implementation of systems that are framed by high quality norms and standards. While this work is currently underway, there is much more required to open safely in the second half of 2023.
Job Title: Staff OB/GYN Physician
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer/Medical Director
Location: Kigutu, Burundi
The Staff Physician in Obstetrics and Gynecology has responsibilities that span clinical, educational and care delivery domains. The ideal candidate is an outstanding clinician who is committed to delivering evidence based, resource appropriate care to our patients while taking the opportunity to share knowledge, skills and techniques with those around her/him while promoting a clinical culture of service excellence, teamwork and patient safety.
This position reports directly to the Head of the Obstetrics Department and the Chief Medical Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to the diagnosis and treatment of patients in the outpatient and inpatient environments
- Ensures that clinical plans are effectively and clearly communicated to the care team and patient.
- Ensures daily clinical documentation of care for all patients under department care and
review for quality.
- Ensures the documentation of patient consent when needed
Obstetrics and Gynecological Care – See Appendix for list of procedures in VHW OB/GYN Service Package
- Provision of routine outpatient OB/GYN care- prenatal care, high risk pregnancies, ultrasound, management of early pregnancy loss, basic gynecologic care across the reproductive life cycle and mental health services for women
- Hospital based activities will focus on establishing emergency obstetrical services and care for acute gynecologic emergencies at all times
- Oversee all treatment prior to and post-surgery, identify associated risks and provide quality aftercare in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team
- Work in tandem with the Head Nurse of Surgery to ensure sterility in the operating room, and of all equipment and instruments
- Review and approve independent provision of surgical care by general practitioners physicians within the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Clinical Quality and Patient Safety
- Support the integration of clinical evidence-based practices and “best practices”
- Attend and participate in regular morbidity and mortality review for medical services.
- Ensure quality of care by giving ongoing training to the multidisciplinary medical/paramedical team and providing technical advice
- Propose modifications to current Obstetric and Gynecologic care management, implementing them once approved by the Head of Department
- Keep patients and families informed of the treatment to be followed, checking that they have understood
- Ensure that professional autonomy and confidentiality are respected, and demonstrate a good attitude and bedside manner towards patients and their caregivers
- In close collaboration with the Head of Department, supervises the day to day clinical/ward activities and workflow
- Manages and supervises generalist physicians
- Together with Head of Department periodically reviews the Clinical Standard Operating Procedures, Manuals, Protocols, and Processes
- Supervises the safe and efficient delivery of care in all patient areas
- Participates in recruitment and interviewing of medical staff, as necessary
Professional Development/ Education and Training
- Provide ongoing bedside educational experiences for the core clinical team.
- Provide appropriate skills training to staff for surgical and non-surgical procedures.
- Engage with medical education for rotating students and trainees.
- License to practice medicine as a Physician in the country of origin/study
- Specialization training in OB/GYN with a minimum of 2 years professional experience or 5-7 years demonstrated experience as a General Practitioner with a focus on Obstetrics
- Recent clinical experience (at least six months within the last 24 months)
- Demonstrated experience in clinical training of staff
- Experience in resource poor settings
- Obstetric-related Critical Care experience preferred
- Fluency in Kirundi and French is required; professional proficiency in English is required.
- IT skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong team player
- Adaptable and able to work in a multicultural team
- Self-driven with a solution-orientated approach
VHW OB/GYN Service Package – Candidate should be able to provide documentation of experience and skills in providing the following
- Cesarean section for appropriate indications
- Postpartum hemorrhage and secure hemostasis in difficult situations including the use of uterine artery ligation and sub-total hysterectomy of the uterus as appropriate
- The repair of tears of the lower segment
- The dissection of severe adhesions from previous cesarean section
- Handle injuries to the urinary tract
- Safe techniques of extending lower segment incisions, such as the J-incision
- Classical cesarean section when appropriate
- Subtotal hysterectomy or repair of the uterus in treating uterine rupture
- Total Hysterectomy
- Postpartum sterilization and mini-laparotomy ligation
- D&C, evacuation and manual vacuum aspiration
- Pelvic abscess drainage
- Laparotomy for ectopic pregnancy and ovarian torsion
- Endometrial biopsy
- Induction of labor
- The correct use and interpretation of the partograph
- The correct use and interpretation of the cardiotocography
- Oxytocin augmentation
- Vaginal delivery after previous cesarean section
- Breech delivery
- Vacuum assisted delivery
- Outlet forceps delivery
- External cephalic version
- Acute third- and fourth degree laceration repair
- Repair of cervical tear
- Manual removal of placenta
How to apply
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a CV and a thoughtful cover letter describing your experience and how it applies to this position along with 3 professional referencesto: [email protected]. Please include “Staff Physician – OB/GYN” in the subject line of your email. Submissions should be in English.