The position holder is overall responsible to lead the Therapeutic Feeding Unit (TFU)/stabilization centre component of Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) implementation in the LGA and working closely with the LGA health workers, and SC colleagues for the effective implementation and linkage of CMAM program with the community and facility. In addition, the position holder is also expected to provide consistent and high-quality technical support in relation to CMAM implementation and will assist Nutrition field workers, and other staff in the Stabilization Centre to build a strong CMAM implementation package.
Scope of Work
The Stabilization Centre Supervisor’s primary responsibility is to ensure that the centre is functioning properly, providing care of quality including medical diagnosis and treatment of the patients presenting medical complications. Ensures the respect and correct application of the treatment protocols.
Dimensions of Role
The incumbent will be overall responsible for diagnosing complicated SAM cases using physical examinations and different laboratory tests in the SC in collaboration with other INTERSOS nutrition staff and SMOH staff. Based on their findings, prescribe required treatment and medications to attempt to heal any illnesses or injuries as per SAM inpatient management protocol of Nigeria and World Health Organization.
- Examines patients/clients in line with standard medical procedures using various types of diagnostic mechanisms;
- Compiles weekly and monthly reports and submits to Medical Activity Manager, INTERSOS Nutrition supervisor and hospital/state leadership
- Stock management in collaboration with Pharmacy.
- Ensure patients feeding needs are taken care of in line with their daily dietary needs in collaboration with the project manager and the H&N manager and works to ensure meals distributed on time and in respectful quantity.
- Supervise the use of medicines, medical supplies, and nutrition related commodities and data tools in the SC
- Ensure timely collection, compilation, and analysis of quality data as well as production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all INTERSOS activities
- Evaluate regularly the impact of the activities and propose changes for improvement.
- Support the supply chain management and forecast for medicines, Medical supplies, Nutrition commodities (F-75, F-100, ReSoMal) and data tools
- Monitor the stock of commodities, medicines, medical supplies: calculate needs, decide quantities to be delivered to the stabilization center.
- Plan logistics and materials needs for the SC
- Participate in stakeholder meetings on crosscutting health issues.
- Checks the pharmacy’s correct drug preparation, storage and stock balance etc
- Build staff capacity in work plan development and reporting to ensure accurate monitoring and documentation of activities
- Contribute to strengthening relationship with Borno State ministry of health and hospital management board, UNICEF and other partners implementing CMAM in the state.
- Administers and prescribes drugs based on analysis of examination, test reports and findings and counseling services as National and WHO SAM inpatient management protocol. Providing technical support and gap-filling support when needed.
- Manages the project unit’s implementation of nutrition program in agreement with the overall CMAM Program activities specially Stabilization centre/ therapeutic feeding unit and theNational manual in the management of SAM,
- Holds responsibility for stabilization center staff team’s timesheet, work plan vacation schedules and staff training/development activities
- Makes sure that stabilization centre/TFC care is implemented according to the National protocol and WHO guideline i.e. application of the admission and discharge criteria, complication treatment, therapeutic feeding, closely monitors and strictly follows anthropometry measurement
- Ensures the availability of job aids, reporting formats, therapeutic products (F75, F100 and RUTF) and drugs for program implementation in the SC
- Work closely with Nutrition Supervisor and community mobilization officer to ensure all aspects of the program are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the community to OTP and SC sites.
- Work closely with other partners implementing OTP for proper referral and monitoring of beneficiaries at OTP level
- Ensure the multi-chart/inpatient card has properly filled and monitored and corrective action has taken on daily basis.
- Makes sure that health professionals from the health facilities to participate on the daily routine work for sustainability and smooth phase out strategy.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP/SC.
- Ensure all children in SC are immunized according to the national protocols.
- Ensure correctness, consistence and completeness of the information in the nutrition registers.
- Ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies and ensure stock is pre- positioned as planned by discussing with logistics.
- Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the SC sites.
- Performs other related tasks as required, like control and facilitation of vehicle movement within the project area in the field Prepare and submit regular monthly and quarterly logistic activity reports to the project/office managers.
- Bachelor’s degree in medicine (MB.BS/MBChB) with experience in emergency nutrition response especially in complicated SAM management at the Stabilization centre level and clinical experience in the management of children under five at the in-patient level.
- Over (3) years of experience in complicated SAM case management in SC and CMAM programs.
- Valid and current practicing license.
- Excellent report-writing skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa, Kanuri is a plus.
- Commitment to and understanding of INTERSOS’S aims, values, and principles.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and CULTURALLY SENSITIVE.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email, and utilization of the internet.
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver INTERSOS’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible and have the ability to cope with stressful situations.
- Facilitate the development and scheduling of volunteer outreach activities.
- Excellent community mobilization skills
- Work closely with partners and their staff to ensure project activities are implemented in time and within the stipulated quality.
- Coordination & Representation
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors on ground.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of field teams; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to INTERSOS’ management and liaising with community
- leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for INTERSOS programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop INTERSOS programs
- Learning and knowledge management
- Shares relevant information within the team establishing and supporting the proper documentation of activities
- Participates in global/regional projects/networks as requested.
- Dealing with Problems
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use INTERSOS procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the Child Protection department for consideration. Communications and Working
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Support the preparation of reports for domestic and international consumption.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Report to the Child Protection specialist;
- Provide support to INTERSOS Nigeria’s programme delivery and resource mobilisation.
- Work with other members of the programme units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet meets it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete the form and attach their CV with Cover Letter following this format “Surname_ Position you applied for”.
ONLY applicants whose competencies meet the requirements of the position will be contacted.
Application Deadline: apply no later than 11th June 2023 at 4:00 PM.
INTERSOS is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply”.
INTERSOS does not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment. Applications are processed according to the order of arrival. INTERSOS reserves the right to close the offer before the term initially expressed in the advert if an applicant is accepted.
For more information about INTERSOS, go to https://www.intersos.org/en/what-we-do/nigeria/