WHO ARE WE ?
Médecins du Monde is an international medical development NGO that is part of an international network. We provide medical assistance to vulnerable groups, in Belgium and around the world. We want universal health coverage where each person has access to care, without obstacles (financial, cultural, geographic, etc.).
In Belgium and around the world, our projects are intended for all people who do not have or no longer have access to health care. In particular, they are structured around five axes: people on the margins of society (homeless, undocumented people, drug users, sex workers, etc.); children in vulnerable situations; women (accompanied in their fight for equality or against sexual violence, for example); migrants or displaced persons and victims of crises or conflicts.
To carry out our mission, we rely on three pillars:
- Care : give people real access to care.
- Change : more than helping, we want to change things in the long term.
- Testify : we do not remain silent. Thanks to our experience and our presence on the ground, we challenge the authorities (local, regional and (inter)national) with facts, figures and realities.
Our projects follow a series of values common to our entire organization: Social Justice, Empowerment, Independence, Commitment, Balance.
Niger is facing several emergencies that challenge the authorities’ ability to respond. The persistent humanitarian crisis is worsening due in particular to the security crisis. The latter is exacerbated by pre-existing socio-economic vulnerabilities and growing instability in neighboring countries (Mali, Burkina Faso, etc.), leading to an influx of thousands of refugees, migrants and internally displaced persons as well as a deterioration already limited access to basic social services. The population – mainly children and women – faces malnutrition, food insecurity, recurrent epidemics, forced displacement… It is in this context that Médecins du Monde has been working in Niger since 2014 in several regions, including the Agadez region, to provide medical assistance to vulnerable migrant and host populations. MDM is also present in the area of the three borders in Tillabéri (SDSR) and Torodi (VBG), and a new project opened in Tahoua (VBG) at the beginning of this year.
The coordination is based in Niamey and the mission employs about a hundred workers. The annual budget for our activities is 4 million euros. The main donors are the DGD, ECHO, and the EU.
Under the hierarchical responsibility of the Agadez Project Coordinator, you manage all aspects related to One Health activities in the project, in collaboration with the other members of the Project and the consortium.
As One Health Project Manager, you coordinate all the activities implemented at Aderbissinat, in order to ensure compliance with MdM internal procedures, donor budgets and procedures as well as the country’s legal framework.
As Project Manager :
Coordinate all activities of the health service in order to guarantee the quality, relevance and efficiency of activities in compliance with internal procedures and protocols MdM Belgium, evidence-based practices, ethics and deontology .
Examples of tasks:
Coordination of component activities
- Based on the project timeline, ensure that the team has a detailed operational plan disaggregated into quarterly, monthly and weekly;
- Ensure the link between the Agadez team and that of Aderbissinat;
- Ensure the monitoring, implementation and justification of all activities, both those under the direct responsibility of MDM and those implemented jointly with partners;
- Plan, organize and monitor project resources: logistics, finance, HR;
- Ensure the traceability and compliance of all donations, from the identification of the need to the donation;
- Give its approval for purchases in agreement with the coordination by following the rules and procedures for purchasing donors and MdM BE;
- Supervise the work of the administration, logistics and finance department for the infrastructure and all the equipment of the project.
- Ensure monthly budget monitoring;
- Optimize costs and ensure the proper supply of the project (cash requests);
- Check and process all supporting documents for activities before submission to the Admin-Fin-Log service of the base;
- Ensure that the project’s accounts are properly kept and that it is sent on time;
- Ensure the implementation of the financial policies and procedures of the mission in accordance with local legislation and the financial policy of MdM BE;
- Ensure compliance with donor rules;
- Coordinate the preparation of donor financial and budget proposals as necessary.
- Ensure a continuous analysis of the contextual security situation;
- With the agreement of the coordination (base or mission) take the necessary measures to guarantee the safety of people and property of the projects and report to whom it may concern;
- Ensure knowledge and application of security rules by all project teams.
Tracking, monitoring and reporting
- Identify the objectives and priorities of the project in consultation with the team, and define the decision-making framework;
- Carry out monitoring, quality control of practices, application of protocols and procedures. Identify the necessary corrective actions and propose them to the Agadez Coordination.
- Write the following documents: internal activity reports, donor reports, periodic project reports, reports of various meetings with authorities and partners, awareness and training sessions, monitoring report;
- Collect from partners the documents necessary for monitoring the project and ensure their compliance;
- Centralize the data collected from the project on a monthly basis and send them to the Agadez Data Manager;
- In collaboration with Datas, oversee the collection and quality of data, support the compilation, monitoring and analysis of indicators;
- Organize project follow-up meetings and exchange workshops involving the implementation partners;
As Team Leader :
Examples of tasks:
- Organize weekly meetings with the project staff and ensure communication and active participation of all team members;
- Manage the team in accordance with HR policies and MdM-BE values and report any problem to the Agadez Coordination and/or to the Admin-Fin-HR-Log service of Aderbissinat and/or Agadez;
- Ensure the continuous support of the members of the project team;
- Participate in the recruitment of project team members and oversee human resources management;
- Define the general organization of the work of the project teams and make proposals for improvement to the Project Coordinator;
- Ensure that the administrative procedures are in place and in compliance with labor legislation, that they are known and respected by all of his team.
As a member of the coordination team
Examples of tasks:
- Participate effectively in strategic discussions within the mission to define future directions for MdM;
- Continuously develop its expertise in the theme dealt with and the cross-cutting themes related to the project;
- Under the responsibility or delegation of the Project Coordinator based in Agadez, represent MdM BE at internal and external meetings/meetings, and with local authorities at health district level;
- Maintain a professional link and a regular exchange of information with the other health actors in the health districts supported by the project and ensure the feedback of information to the project coordinator.
These responsibilities will be implemented in a specific and transversal way on the basis of the annual individual action plan, established in collaboration between the manager and the holder of the position in question.
Activities may change depending on the context.
REQUIRED PROFILE – National profile
- medical/paramedical degree or a Masters in Public Health
- solid experience – at least 3 years – in team management and health project management within an NGO and/or in the humanitarian sector;
- Excellent writing skills in French;
- Adherence to the values of MdM Be;
- Rigor and irreproachable morality.
- Be able to work within a multidisciplinary team;
- Excellent ability to transfer skills from medical and non-medical personnel;
- Maîtrise du package MS Office & e-mail.
- Leadership, solution and quality oriented, diplomacy;
- Flexibility, good stress management;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently;
- Spirit of synthesis and analysis;
- Sense of initiative, diplomacy, anticipation, negotiation and creativity;
- Sense of strategy and communication;
- Autonomy, organization and rigor.
- Experience on a One Health project;
- Knowledge of the Aderbissinat region;
- Knowledge of more than one local language (Haoussa, Tamasheq).
The above list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. Other tasks may be requested by a member of the coordination team according to the needs of the program. In addition, the employee is expected to have a certain degree of flexibility and a spirit of adaptation according to the potential evolution of the constraints of the mission. The job profile may be modified according to the needs of the organization.
- Fixed-term national contract (CDD) 12 months, single posting;
- ASAP job start;
- Place of mission: Aderbissinat (guest-house in Agadez);
- A dynamic and international working environment with close support from MdM-BE headquarters in Brussels;
- A field mission at the heart of the activities of Médecins du Monde Belgium;
- Salary conditions according to the salary grid and conditions offered locally.
How to apply
Médecins du Monde thanks you for your interest in our organization and wishes you much success in your journey. We reserve the right to finalize a recruitment before the closing date for receipt of applications. MdM-Be does not ask for any financial contribution as part of the recruitment procedure.
Doctors of the World is committed to people with disabilities and fights against all forms of discrimination.
We inform you that the data concerning you are computerized, they will be treated confidentially. As part of this application, your data is kept for a period of 6 months. Only persons authorized by our General Confidentiality Charter will be able to access your data for strictly internal purposes.