The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Deputy Head of Mission – Nigeria (National Position)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria, with travel to All Project sites (minimum of 50% in the field)
Contract Term: Contract under Nigerian Law
Contract Term: 6 months, renewable.
Hierarchical link: Head of Mission
Functional link: Head of Mission
Mission and Objectives
- Under the supervision of the Head of Mission and working closely with Project Coordinators, the Deputy Head of Mission (DHoM) will identify changes and trends in the humanitarian access and security environment in Nigeria and help to maximize the effectiveness of ALIMA activities by contributing to the design and ongoing adaptation of programming to ensure it is contextually appropriate.
- He/She will build and oversee the community based strategy, access strategy and security management systems, in line with humanitarian principles, humanitarian needs, duty of care principles and ALIMA’s security management strategy.
- He/She will ensure that expert advice on humanitarian access and security risk management is provided to all levels of staff in the country office on building relationships with stakeholders, negotiating and mediating humanitarian access, understanding the context, managing critical incidents and providing timely advice.
- He/She replaces project coordinators in case of absence.
Protection of Beneficiaries and Community Members
- Level 3: The incumbent is responsible for the application of HR processes and may be required to conduct field visits. He/She may therefore be in contact with children and/or vulnerable adults.
- Therefore, a criminal record check or the presentation of a certificate of good conduct will be required.
- In situations where the impossibility of providing a criminal record or a certificate of good conduct is established, a declaration on honor will be requested.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Monitor the environment of the intervention areas and keep track of any changes that could impact the organization’s work.
- Contribute to the analysis of the dynamics between different actors, the security situation, and incidents.
- Identify any constraints to humanitarian access in the intervention areas.
- Assess the vulnerabilities of the organization and recommend possible responses.
- Provide credible information and advice to ALIMA field management and program staff on localized and country-wide security situations and incidents.
- Support Project Coordinators in their analysis of the security situation.
Humanitarian Access Management:
- Develop and implement contextually appropriate humanitarian access strategies and approaches, including a comprehensive community engagement component.
- Ensure that humanitarian access in the field is based on principles and sustainable negotiations with relevant actors in accordance with humanitarian principles, humanitarian needs, duty of care principles and ALIMA’s Strategic Action Plan.
- Ensure that ALIMA, its mission, mandate and work in areas of operation are known and accepted.
- Work with ALIMA teams, including HR, to ensure that violations of ALIMA’s Code of Conduct and humanitarian principles are dealt with appropriately and in a timely manner.
Security and Safety Risk Management:
- Provide technical support on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for personnel safety, operational safety and program continuity.
- Work with the Project Coordinators to develop, consolidate and implement operational procedures and contingency plans. Ensure that the safety and security protocol, reporting mechanism and capacity building initiative take into account gender risks, staff profiles and backgrounds, and are sensitive to local contexts.
- Assess, review and update hibernation and evacuation plans for all ALIMA offices and residences and ensure that practical preparations are in place and known by all staff involved.
- Carry out security diagnostics on the security of specific buildings, equipment, operations, or movements, and establish recommendations/action plans with the Project Coordinators and the Logistics Coordinator, under the responsibility of the Head of Mission.
- Evaluate security and safety training needs and integrate them into the mission training plan.
- Alert the HoM without delay of all security incidents or threats which could have an impact on the Mission and on the ALIMA personnel’s security.
- In collaboration with the HOM, set up a Crisis Cell in the event of a serious incident if deemed necessary.
Strategic Planning and Activity Monitoring:
- Analyze the humanitarian and medical situation in the country and contribute to the mission-wide strategy, including the preparation of the Annual Action Plan and Annual Review of Operations. Conduct exploratory missions if necessary.
- Anticipate the evolution of the humanitarian context and contribute to the development of the country’s emergency preparedness plan (EPREP) in collaboration with the medical coordination and project teams.
- Provide strategic direction and support to the Projects Coordinators in ensuring the effective delivery of program activities and the successful integration of activities with all other aspects of ALIMA programming.
- Visit ALIMA field activities regularly and report on problems, challenges and obstacles while building an intimate knowledge of fieldwork realities and generate recommendations and lessons learnt reports to share within the mission.
- Support the Head of Mission, Project Coordinators and the Grant Manager in the preparation of project proposals and project reports for donors. Ensure that donor requirements and expectations are met.
- Coordinate closely with Project Coordinators and the PSEA Activity Manager to ensure that the prevention measures against abuse of power, gender based and sexual violence are implemented.
Representation and Partnership:
- Represent ALIMA towards other actors at national level, and support the Project Coordinators with representation at local level.
- Negotiate and renew the terms of collaboration (MoU) between ALIMA and the Government, or any other institution involved and keep national partners informed about ALIMA’s activities on a regular basis.
- Participate in various humanitarian coordination meetings (working group, sectors etc.) and meet other humanitarian actors in order to ensure good coordination of actions in the field.
- Maintain a network of formal and informal contacts and identify partnership opportunities at national and local level.
- Represent ALIMA in the media upon HoM delegation.
Experience and Skills
- Graduate level Education in a relevant field or equivalent work experience.
- Similar experience or a minimum of 5 years’ experience working with international NGOs in high-risk humanitarian contexts (operational or security position)
- Excellent knowledge of the country’s context and security situation.
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety and security practices and principles.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Experience in medical emergency response and/or public health background is an asset.
- Knowledge of donor procedures (ECHO, BHA, UN, CDCS, AFD etc.) is mandatory.
- Proficient user of MS Office (especially word and excel).
- Excellent capacity to create and maintain a network.
- Good listener, effective communicator and excellent analyst.
- Proactive and self-motivated. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience in team management and supervision. Training and coaching skills.
- Essential writing skills.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) and at least two local languages (Hausa, Kanuri, Yoruba).
- French is an asset.
Application Closing Date
7th May, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Cover Letter, CV, qualifications with contact details all in the same PDF file, to ALIMA’s recruitment via: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful.
- Only full applications will be taken into account. Only accepted applications will be contacted.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only successful applicants will be called for an interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.