Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Epidemiology Activity Manager
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Contract Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Defining, coordinating and monitoring the epidemiological activities, ensuring the development of appropriate methodology and the quality of studies according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to identify risk factors for diseases and to determine the optimal treatment approaches to clinical practice and the preventive medicine to be used in the missions.
- Provision of Defining, scheduling and organizing, in close collaboration with other medical team members, the annual epidemiological activity plan as well as its associated budget, in order to improve early detection of risk factors to better define treatment approaches and preventive practices. Leading the implementation of the protocols and epidemiological methodology, ensuring all related staff follows them in order to improve research efficiency.
- Supervising, according to annual plan, the epidemiological research activity ensuring that contacts with community groups and authorities are aligned with the objectives of the research and that the population participating in the research is properly informed. Reporting on the progress of data collection, on ongoing analysis of research or on any issue causing delay, in order to achieve epidemiological goals on time.
- Advising the MSF medical team on epidemiological matters that arise in the course of their activity research, and when necessary, designing and implementing epidemiological tools and data collection to meet new epidemiological needs.
- Ensuring, in coordination with logistics department, that national or international shipment of laboratory samples acquired for research purposes is done within datelines and according to protocols, following security rules and keeping conditions needed for the sample
- Supervising data filing procedures, ensuring that all epidemiology software tools are properly used and are updated regularly, in order to ensure full data traceability and availability
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department and the MSF vision, policies and values, the associated processes (job description, recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the epidemiological staff in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required, to improve staff technical capabilities, contribution and commitment to MSF values.
- Supervising, in close coordination with the Logistic Manager that research equipment and materials are properly maintained and stock level is above minimum point in order to ensure availability and research activity continuity.
- Participating in operational monthly reports and organizing and/or assisting medical staff in preparing epidemiological reports related to health facilities and to researched areas.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- To develop and manage the noma research agenda, coordinate and lead studies on noma, analyse data and write up reports and ensure the completed studies are scientifically robust.
Noma research agenda:
- Develop the annual noma research activity plan as well as its associated budget.
- Keep up to date on noma publications to ensure all research plans are evidence based.
- Formulate study ideas, present these to noma working group (Nigeria and HQ staff) and finalise future study ideas.
Study Conceptualisation, Protocol Development, ERB:
- Develop concept notes, incorporate feedback from all co-authors. Submit concept notes to research committee, make changes based on feedback and finalise, send to all co-authors.
- Develop protocols based on approved concept notes. Discuss with all relevant experts (NTD, nutrition, surgical and epi advisors etc.). Develop study tools and all other protocol appendices.
- Submit protocol to MSF Research Committee, make changes based on feedback and finalise, send to all co-authors.
- Ensure submission of protocols to MSF and Nigerian Ethical Review Boards (ERBs). Ensure all ERB documents are compiled and submitted, this includes ensuring all co-authors have relevant research ethics training certificates. Guide studies through the ERB process and make all relevant changes. Once protocol has received all ERB approvals, finalise and submit final copy to all ERBs and co-authors.
- Follow protocol as approved by all ERBs.
- Complete all necessary study preparations prior to the commencement of data collection.
- Assist in hiring study teams where necessary.
- Plan and design trainings for research teams. Conduct trainings for teams with support from necessary experts (e.g. medical team at Noma Children’s Hospital).
- Ensure all supplies needed for the studies are procured in a timely manner (with support from the logistics team).
- Lead data collection teams for the duration of the data collection period. This can involve extensive travel, working long hours in difficult conditions.
- Coordinate with logistics department and Program Coordinator to plan all team movements. This can include writing Field Trip Requests.
- Ensure teams have all necessary supplies (including cars, drivers, water, data collection tablets, communication devices, weighing scales, height boards, pens, ink pads etc.).
- Assist with HR management and ensuring teams follow MSF HR and security policies.
- Ensure systematic data quality checks in collaboration with data entry supervisor.
- Provide updates and progress reports in relation to ongoing activities.
Analysis and Write-Up:
- Conduct analysis on study data using statistical package (R or stata).
- Write up internal report including interpretation of all findings.
- Where applicable, draft manuscript of findings, submit to journal and guide through publication process.
Routine data collection and support:
- Advising the MSF medical team on epidemiological matters that arise in the course of their jobs, and when necessary, designing and implementing epidemiological tools to meet new epidemiological needs.
- Drafting monthly operational reports and assisting medical staff in preparing epidemiological reports.
- Participate in annual project planning and reporting.
- Participate in other noma activities such as conferences and research days.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Operational and Health related Research, with extensive training in protocol writing and statistical analysis
- Desirable Master’s or PhD in Epidemiology with a focus on operational research, with extensive training in statistics.
- Essential working experience of at least two years in operational research or monitoring and evaluation related jobs
- Essential: experience in conducting data analysis in R or stata
- Desirable working experience in health related research topics
- Desirable working experience with MSF or other NGOs
- English essential, Hausa is desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet).
- Good good knowledge of statistics program such as Stata or R.
- People Management & Development, Commitment to MSF Principles, Behavioural Flexibility, Result & Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation
Application Closing Date
22nd, March 2023 (5:00pm).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Candidates should send their Cover Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of only necessary credentials as one document with telephone contact details (daytime) to: [email protected] using “EPI Manager” as the subject of the mail.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted and multiple submissions will not be considered.
- NO Transportation and NO per diems will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Any documents sent to MSF-OCA (CV, cover letter, copies of diploma, recommendations letters) will not be returned by MSF-OCA.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization