Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach —, which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Terms of Reference (TOR)
Position: Health & Nutrition Technical Advisor
Location: Juba, South Sudan (40 percent) & Field Support (60 percent)
Reports to: Program Director
Duration: 12 months with possible extension
Direct Reports : Health Program Technical Manager, Nutrition Program Technical Lead, Matrix: Program Project Manager
The Health and Nutrition Advisor provides technical advice and support to the field management and the health and nutrition teams. The role holder is responsible to lead overall health and nutrition program design, develop, monitor, and evaluate health and nutrition aspects of the country programme. The Advisor will coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional health and nutrition authorities, actively participate in health and nutrition sector coordination, supporting the development of quality standards and protocols to improve the overall program deliverables. The role holder will also lead on all health and nutrition elements of proposals and oversight on reporting, providing capacity building for technical program staff, promoting best practice in the health and nutrition programmes, and contributing to the overall management of the country programme.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Give technical advice to program managers on health and nutrition interventions
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project
- Provide technical support to all health and nutrition teams in all project locations, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects, writing of donor proposals and reporting within the required timeframes
- Ensure donor requirements for data collection, reporting, and targets/achievements for health and nutrition grants are met
- Identify and initiate new potential health and nutrition funding opportunities (e.g. consortiums, geographical expansion, new calls for proposals, innovation)
- Carry out regular monitoring visits in conjunction with field managers, ensuring that project objectives are met within the timelines and program standards
- Work closely with the Field Manager and Program Director to achieve program objectives and targets effectively and efficiently
- Monitor the development of reporting systems for health and nutrition data collection, analysis and feedback to relevant stakeholder
- Provide advisory support on quality control and storage of health & nutrition supplies
Program Development and Representation
· Develop and maintain proactive relationship with local technical ministries, UN, INGO forums, donors, partners and other key stakeholders to maintain program visibility, quality and improve partnership
· Represent RI at various technical sector meetings, regional meetings, webinars and learning events as required, in coordination with technical program managers and share learning across the teams
Program Quality Assurance
- Oversee the health and nutrition management capacities/structure, evaluating health team organogram and program management abilities on a routine basis
- Develop recommendations and guidelines for ensuring health and nutrition program quality across field locations and health and nutrition program sites
- Routinely review existing data collection capacities and help the team improve facility-level data collection and reporting
- Maintain a resource library for the health and nutrition team and keep up-to-date with the latest trends and updates within the sector. Ensure relevant health and nutrition staffs have access to appropriate information when needed.
- Actively participate in the identification and management of any disaster or epidemics or direct response
- Ensure the health and nutrition projects expenditures are in line with approved budgets, advising on potential under/over spending and recommending appropriate corrective action
- Ensure health and nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and in accordance with RI, donor, country and international standards such as Sphere and HAP standards including WHO recommendations
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations to RSO advisors, as well as field staff on the quality of health and nutrition programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
· Create and maintain a work culture based on mutual respect, team spirit, where accountability is promoted, alternative viewpoints are welcomed, the team strives for excellence, and is conducive to professional growth.
· Promote and instill a focus on capacity building, coaching & mentoring, deepen understanding and ownership of individual roles, and strengthen performance management systems through the implementation of a comprehensive staff development plan in close collaboration with HR
· Ensure staff care and wellbeing is an integrated part of programming
· Promote accountability, clearly communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback through regular individual engagements and performance reviews
· Master’s Degree in Public Health or relevant qualifications
· Minimum of 5 years professional working experience
· Excellent proposal and report writing skills. Knowledge and practical experience of the principles and the design, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of humanitarian public health projects
· Experience with project planning and grant management oversight (multiple donors) in humanitarian emergency context
· Previous experience with managing nutrition programming (TSFP, OTP) is strongly recommended
· Excellent negotiation/advocacy skills within varying cultural and professional contexts, in particular regarding donors and government officials.
· High level of skill in developing, implementing and training others in the tools needed for program cycle management monitoring and review
· Skilled in, and committed to, community participation/interaction, field visits and presence in program areas
· Practical experience managing staff and programs in insecure locations
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and CHS Standards, protection issues and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
· Fluent and articulate in spoken and written English
· Flexible and ability to cope with basic living conditions in the field in context of humanitarian and under developed countries.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
· Transparency and Accountability
· Agility and Innovation
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions
This position is based 50% in Juba and 50% across all field locations. Within Juba, we offer the post-holder:
· Self-contained living accommodation (own bedroom, kitchenette and sitting area) in a very safe shared compound in Juba. Field conditions varies considering the setting
· 6-week R&R cycle with a financial contribution towards the R&R costs
· Very competitive compensation, Danger Pay and daily post differential among other benefits
· Access to RI’s award-winning learning management system with a wide menu of training resources, and internal/external training courses.
NB: Please submit both your cover letter and CV as one document in pdf format