Position Title: Migration Health Nurse
Duty Station: Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 03 May 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of Chief of Mission (CoM) in Bangladesh and Deputy Chief of Mission (DCoM) (Emergencies) in Cox’s Bazar for administrative matters, and direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) in Cox’s Bazar, the Migration Health Nurse will be responsible for providing clinical, administrative and project management support for migration health assessments and treatment of refugees assisted by the Organization.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Supervise a team of nurses and other auxiliary staff and assist Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) in various duties related to laboratory/x-ray and physical examination procedures. This includes logistic preparation for screening, handling and safekeeping of individual medical files, collection of biodata and medical history, ensuring identity checks of the applicants and confidentiality of information throughout the screening process in Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC) and Medical Mission sites.
- Provide technical and administrative support to the Sub regional Humanitarian Assistance Program (HAP) Coordinator in the planning and delivery of the sub-regional United States Refugee Admissions Programme (USRAP) programme. This assistance includes the collation and consolidation of data, information and plans around the management and implementation of USRAP-related health assessment activities in the region, as well as the transformation of such into consolidated action plans.
- Contribute to technical medical oversight, planning, monitoring and follow up of IOM migration health assessment programmes in the sub-region. In particular, ensure that these programmes fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries, including standardization, Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Control (QC) of all aspects of the medical examination and documentation process.
- Assist the CMHO in managing and implementing the health assessment programs as follows:
- Assist in coordinating the administrative duties and leaves of the staff under their supervision;
- Assist in planning and monitoring the logistical requirements of the Migration Health Division(MHD) department and if applicable Camp Clinics including safekeeping and management of inventory of stocks, medical supplies and equipment as well as tracking of expiry dates of drugs;
- Ensure the use of best practices, compliance with the donor countries technical instructions, and develop suggestions for improvement for the migration health assessment programmes;
- Assist the CMHO in liaising with various health service providers, other departments in the mission, other IOM Missions and MHD/HQ on clinical, administrative and financial matters.
- Ensure proper identification and coding of biological samples, maintain strict client confidentiality; liaise with various health service providers to facilitate handling of biological samples, and coordinate the procedures and supervision of the collection of sputum samples for culture and sensitivity for Tuberculosis (TB). In addition, Migration Health Nurse will coordinate and assist the Medical Officer on follow up of chronic medical case, specimen collection, fitness to travel check and any other heath assessment related activities in the camp clinics.
- Organize and supervise vaccination process of the refugees ensuring compliance with the best practices and recommendations according the USRAP Expanded Vaccination Pilot Project.
- Assist the CMHO in coordinating surveillance of the communicable disease, health education and hygiene promotion activities of Transits centres in the mission. Provide suggestions to the supervisors to improve counselling for all medical testing, including HIV.
- Conduct/supervise pre-departure treatment and pre-embarkation assessments of ‘fitness to travel, as required, maintain current relevant records and reports, supervise the implementation of treatment and follow-up actions for cases on medical hold after health assessment, and supervise Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) management and directly observed treatment/ therapy short-course (DOTS) for TB in the MHAC and Camp clinics.
- Follow up with implementing partners to ensure that follow-up actions are done and relevant information flow is maintained. Partners include health service providers, panel physicians, other clinicians (e.g., consultants), and IOM Migration Health and Operations staff in the mission.
- Identify the training needs of the Nurses and Auxiliary staff, prepare training plan and involve on the capacity building of the Nurses and Auxiliary staff.
- Perform escort duties and duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Nursing or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Clinical experience as a registered Nurse;
- Experience in Tuberculosis (TB) programmes, migration health, disease management and infection controls, and public health of refugees and migrants as Nurse in an international organization, UN agency or hospital.
- Good writing, communication and negotiation skills;
- Good knowledge of nursing principles, techniques and procedures: knowledge of public health as well as general migration related issues;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain punctuality, accuracy and confidentiality at all levels of the health assessment process;
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Knowledge/experience of specialized medical software is required. Knowledge of eMedical and Mimosa Web is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Bengali or any local language, is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to re-apply
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 03 May 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 425 Migration Health Nurse (P2) Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh (57855005) Released
Posting: Posting NC57855006 (57855006) Released