Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract: 208 working hours per month and roster flexibility required (fixed term contract)
- Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment.
- Respecting medical confidentialityat all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keepingdoctors/supervisorsinformed .
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Fol-lowing the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures
- The nurse in triage is responsible for the triage of all patients coming to Gwange MSF hospital respecting admission criteria, actively response to emergency as priority and maintains high standard precautions by managing all isolation cases as per protocol.
- The nurse should always be organized at all time during his/her shift by ensuring all material needed for patient care are available, communicates to his supervisor any missing materials and ensures the daily cleaning and organization of the care trolley of his unit.
- The nurse in charge of the unit follows all biomedical equipment’s in the unit to ensure that daily maintenance are completed by the Nurse Assistant and reports to the supervisor any dysfunction noticed and maintains up to date stock of consumables
- The Nurse on daily basis attends the medical round with the Doctor of his unit and implementing treatment plan as prescribed in order to ensure therapeutic success.
- He/she participate with the supervisors in pharmacy inventories, meetings training of nurse, nurse assistants and orientation of new colleagues.
- He/she Works in collaboration with the assistant nurse and is responsible for the supervision of nurse assistants work and patients in his/her unit using the tools at his/her disposal.
- The nurse should maintain a good handover and documentations of all procedures performed during his shift including registration of new admissions and discharged patients’ files and any other checklist available in his/ her unitand also biomedical equipment.
- The nurse at all time should be present at duty station except when call for help in another unite and should maintain good collaboration and communication with other team members
- In all areas of his activity, he can make proposals for improvement or adaptation to the supervisor of his unit.
- Detects cases of severe acute malnutrition and other can be referred cases, also if necessary, organizes with the Doctor and the supervisor the referral of the patient to an adapted structure.
- Knows / carries out the Therapeutic Patient Education (TPE), i.e. maintaining contact with all patients, providing them with information about their health status and answering their medical questions.
- In addition, his manager may ask him to perform additional tasks if necessary.
- Respects different IPC Pillars eg.Handhygiene, PPE and waste management and environmental cleanliness.
- To educate hospital patients and caretakers about their care and relevant information on vaccination, hygiene, medical advices.
- Ensure clarifying medical treatment for the patient and give clear picture of all medical procedures before implementing and get consent.
- Routinely checks the child’s immunization status.
- Essential: Nursing Diploma
- Essential: Valid & Active/up to date Nursing Practicing License
- Essential: working experience in pediatric activities.
- Working experience with Malaria peak is a plus
- Experience in both medical and surgical nursing considered as a plus
- Essential: English, Hausa.
- Desirable: Kanuri.
- Desirable computer literacy (word, excel)
- Excellent writing and communications skills at influencing level
Monthly Gross salary according to MSFF salary scale,plus 13th month allowance equivalent to 1 month of gross salary.
Application Closing Date
6th June, 2023 (05:00pm).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
- for all experience and diplomas mentioned in the CV, the originals (work certificate, birth certificate, school certificate, ID card etc.) will be requested during the interview
- All referees should be from your previous work place
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
- MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer and doesn’t discrimination on the basis of Gender, Religion, Race.