Objective of the Position:
Provide patient centered nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Know, promote, always implement and follow the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment.
- Ensure patient centered care – Ensure patients are properly received and installed in the health service. Ensures that patients with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- Respect medical secret and confidentiality and apply medical code and ethics at all time
- Carry-out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients meaning assessment of their health state evolution, and identification of emergency or any deterioration,
- Participate in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Participate in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (carrying out inventories, carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorization, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patients files, forms, consumptions, statistics, etc.), ensure an appropriate written handover, and report any problematic situations and cases that may arise. fill in all necessary registers and health files, participate in data collection and keep doctors/supervisors informed.
- Ensure triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care when necessary and referring them to the doctor.
- If applicable, identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and refer them to the medical team, so they can receive the necessary treatment.
- Knows and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit.
- Provision of quality medical care according to medical priorities
- Ambulance activities: -Perform patient assessments, including physical examination of patients
- Identifies and localizes the victim, evaluates the degree of emergency and give counsel in awaiting the ambulance
- Organization/Pharmaceutical commodity management – Support in pharmaceutical commodity management in Ambulance and Trauma room: inventory, consumptions and order (accordingly with the requirements of the department).
- Ensuring accurate and complete documentation – Complete, comprehensive documentation of patient condition, all interventions and advice provided in the patient forms and/or medical legal documents as per proto-cols
Education: Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma
Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience as a Nurse and previous experience in other NGO’s.
Previous experience with MSF is a plus
Languages: Fluency in English and Kiswahili is a must, local languages essential.
Competencies/Skills: Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
How to apply
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF and a PIN certificate).
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file mentioning on the subject email line, “Nurse ”, to:
Email: [email protected]
Applications must be received by the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF and will be treated confidentially. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data only for the recruitment process to have all the information and documents necessary to proceed with the recruitment, validation of your application and selection of the most suitable candidate. MSF does not sell your personal data under any circumstances. If you have any questions, requests or concerns, you can contact us on [email protected]
MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/ recruitment fee.
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, religion, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination.