Summary: To provide physiotherapy services in CVT’s Amman center and in partner centers. The physiotherapist will work under daily supervision of clinicians and as part of an interdisciplinary team to provide rehabilitation through individual and group sessions and workshops to those suffering from the physical effects of torture and war trauma. The key goals of treatment are to improve functional ability, decrease pain levels, improve management of specific conditions such as incontinence, stress, poor sleep and pain, improve social participation and functioning, improve coping and outlook and improve body awareness and self-regulation. When appropriate, the physiotherapist will support in the training of other healthcare professionals and advocate on behalf of CVT.
Organization: CVT is an international nonprofit dedicated to providing trauma healing services to survivors of war and other violations. CVT works toward a future in which these violations cease to exist and victims have hope for a new life. We are headquartered in Minnesota, USA with offices in Africa and the Middle East. We work locally, nationally and internationally through programs that provide trauma rehabilitation, conduct technical assistance and capacity building to human rights activists, civil society organizations, and local service providers around the world who can prevent and treat gross human rights abuses, and advocate for human rights and an end to gross human rights violations.
Provision of Physiotherapy Services
- Provide appropriate physiotherapy assessment to clients (Adults and children) throughout their episode of care at CVT in order to continuously evaluate their progress and their changing needs for intervention and establish treatment goals and plan.
- Determine appropriate treatment techniques for war trauma and torture survivors based on solid clinical reasoning. Interventions could include education, exercise therapy and manual therapy in the context of group work or within individual sessions for both adults and children. This will include demonstration of physical exercises in some cases to both male and female clients in workshops.
- Educate and advise clients and their care takers about prevention and/or self-management of their condition include the children and their caregivers.
- Take responsibility for maintaining professional development by keeping up to date with evidence-based practice for managing CVT clients.
- Assist in the daily clinical operations to ensure clients are given appointments in a timely manner, group work activities and room designation is scheduled and coordinated fairly, equipment is shared and organized appropriately and follow other CVT client procedures.
- Maintain up- to- date clinical records and statistical data and ensure that all required documentation is completed and stored in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensure that all work with clients observes CVT’s confidentiality policies and that ethical practices are observed at all times and are in accordance with the WCPT standards.
- Provide interpretation between clients and other CVT staff members and assist with translating written material when needed.
- Ensure the cleanliness of treatment spaces and equipment used with clients as well as maintains a clean, professional appearance.
- Is proactive and participatory in developing the Physiotherapy service and in helping support/orientate colleagues.
- Attend all regularly scheduled trainings and meetings necessary for professional development and team coordination and upon request.
- When necessary to accommodate programmatic needs, work after hours or on weekend days when requested.
- Case manage clients’ interdisciplinary care through regular communication with CVT’s psychosocial counselors (PSCs), Psychosocial Trainers and social workers to best identify clients’ on-going needs.
- Consistently communicate prior to and throughout client sessions with other disciplines to supply and receive relevant information about the background and progress of clients as well as refer those who require other specific medical attention.
- Provide and attend internal trainings to orient new staff and provide on-going interdisciplinary understanding and discussion.
- Recognize and respect boundaries between disciplines and establish regular communication mechanisms to address client urgent and/or on-going concerns.
Community Awareness, Understanding and Engagement
- Assist with CVTs community outreach and awareness, education, and sensitization campaigns and programs when needed.
- Liaise with CVT PSCs to identify children, teenagers, men, and women whose physical functioning may have been affected by torture or war related experiences and encourage them to approach CVT for support.
- Assist in designing, planning, logistics, implementing and facilitating external training programs for local decision makers, community members and local and international NGO’s, and government/ministry staff on trauma and health issues in order to develop a more supportive environment for people whose physical functioning has been affected by experiences of torture and war trauma.
- Contribute to completing the documentation and reporting of external trainings.
- Assist with developing referral systems and encourage collaboration between local groups and leaders, local and international NGOs, and government ministries.
- Attend interagency meetings to improve service delivery to our client groups and access opportunities to forward CVT’s work.
- Attend regular support, debriefing, case conferences, and/or supervision meetings to ensure information and skill-sharing.
- Set and follow through on a personal self-care schedule to avoid burnout and vicarious traumatization.
- Recognize and seek support when needed from internal and/or external resources to address concerns of secondary trauma in an expedient manner.
- Provide formal feedback to colleagues when requested for on-going performance evaluation and development.
- Participate in and contribute to organizational discussions as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as required.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- University Degree in physiotherapy.
- Physiotherapy practicing license (provided by the Ministry of Health).
- At least 2 years of relevant experience.
- Preferred education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Required: Excellent Oral and written communication skills in English & Arabic
- Required: Computer literacy in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Required: Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Required: Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Required: Commitment to the ethical and sensitive implementation of project activities, including a commitment to confidentiality, diversity, equity, and inclusion, quality service provision, and the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (including online)
- Required: Ability to work independently and as a team member.
Supervisory Responsibilities: No supervisory responsibilities in this position.
Internal Collaboration: Primary line of reporting to Physiotherapist/Trainer or Associate Physiotherapist/Trainer, as assigned. In addition, Physiotherapist works closely with other Physiotherapists, Senior Physiotherapists, IDT team members, M&E staff, and Clinical Advisor for Physiotherapy.
External Collaboration: Other service providers in the field, including staff of partnering organizations/institutions.
- Under normal conditions, work will be completed in a typical office environment with off-site meetings
- Remote working from home when necessary due to public health conditions or other reasons
- Time spent on the computer is approximately 40%
- Regular work week is Sunday through Thursday
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and see. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk and climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift and carry heavy supplies. This position requires car travel up to 2 hours per one-way journey.
Travel: Occasional travel to sites in and outside of Amman
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to apply
Suitable and interested applicants are kindly requested to send a CV and motivation letter before 5 PM, Tuesday September 19, 2023 to : [email protected]
CVT goal is to ensure having an inclusive, diverse, equitable and supportive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected. Among our values is a firm commitment to respect the dignity of all people, regardless of our individual differences